Has rap music lost substance and creativity

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mista CaNE

On the Rise
Apr 25, 2002
www.mistacane.com
You really can't blame most of the artists because the random rap fan wants to hear about a life that isn't being led. Partying, clubbing, big rims, cars, jewelry. At the very least when you hear all this even if it's being led 80% of what people have is on credit, people living beyond there means buying things they can't really afford. Young cats with no vision no goals in life other then to make it another week to see what will pop off over the weekend. No substance being spit on albums, people buying random beats from random producers not making albums from the heart. Not pushing the envelope to come up with something creative instead they take the successful format and say we'll be blown away.

Apr 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Thats why most of the new rap sucks cause everybody sounds the same. They all copyin each other flows, style, lyrics. You got rappers that sound exactly like other rappers.

Thats why i listened to a lot of artists thats been around for a min, Jay, Nas, Lox.

I do see a big improvement in productions though. There is a lot of new talent coming up as far as producing!

Jul 1, 2002
IMO all rap music sounds the same, the only thing that changes iz the beats, but all rapper spit the same shit thats y some cats can blow up on 1 song and that 1 song be all they good 4

Sep 24, 2004
Mista CaNE said:
You really can't blame most of the artists because the random rap fan wants to hear about a life that isn't being led. Partying, clubbing, big rims, cars, jewelry. At the very least when you hear all this even if it's being led 80% of what people have is on credit, people living beyond there means buying things they can't really afford. Young cats with no vision no goals in life other then to make it another week to see what will pop off over the weekend. No substance being spit on albums, people buying random beats from random producers not making albums from the heart. Not pushing the envelope to come up with something creative instead they take the successful format and say we'll be blown away.
"The rap game is really like the crack game/
every nigga gettin pimped by the white mayne"

Maybe thats a bit of a stretch from your post but keep in mind that that the problem is this: Hip Hop is a big business and Business and Art dont mix. All the Corporations want is scrilla and to satisfy their stock holders. The result is that the corporation will push whatever sells, whether it's good or not.

if Filthy Cent is selling, the other companies will release a bunch of Filthy Cent clones to piggyback of his success and compromise his intergrity at all cost. (Jimmy Iovine= Vince McMahon) Theres no time for artist development and labels are too scared to release anything thats too diffrent than the status quo.

this is only my dictum, so I hope I didnt stray 2 far away from your topic...

Apr 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Poisonpen said:

Maybe thats a bit of a stretch from your post but keep in mind that that the problem is this: Hip Hop is a big business and Business and Art dont mix. All the Corporations want is scrilla and to satisfy their stock holders. The result is that the corporation will push whatever sells, whether it's good or not.

if Filthy Cent is selling, the other companies will release a bunch of Filthy Cent clones to piggyback of his success and compromise his intergrity at all cost. (Jimmy Iovine= Vince McMahon) Theres no time for artist development and labels are too scared to release anything thats too diffrent than the status quo.

Yup thats pretty much it! They will do whatever it takes to make money!

But you never know, major labels are collapsing lately. They say indie labels are gona be coming up more & more (hopefully).

Oct 19, 2004
We are truly witnessing the beginning of the end of hip hop. The shit is completely fake and full of gimmicks. It has no substance or creativity at all. This what happens to everything he create though. Once the big wig white cats find out they can make some money off our shit they take it over, exploit it, and destroy it. And thats just real talk.The only cats still makin that real shit is the underground artist. Im a keep fuckin wit my underground cats but im done wit the mainstream no matter who it is, unless its some bay shit.

Feb 19, 2003
Poisonpen said:

Yup, I agree. I don't think that Rap has lost it's substance and creativity as far as on the Underground scene, but as far as the MAINSTREAM scene (i.e., the songs you see/hear on the video and radio stations)--well, yeah, most of that shit I just don't bother with anymore. I usually feel pretty safe in buying an underground artist's CD (although I do still try to listen before I buy if I can), though.

PEACE!

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
Cats are afraid to be themselves these days. Every rapper in the world now is a thug, when they don't even know the origin or meaning behind Thug Life. Either that, or they're copying what's hot on the radio at the time. If you have no passion, or meaning, or depth behind your music, don't be a rapper, period. Be a techno producer or some shit.

Nov 14, 2002
threefoe said:
We are truly witnessing the beginning of the end of hip hop. The shit is completely fake and full of gimmicks. It has no substance or creativity at all. This what happens to everything he create though. Once the big wig white cats find out they can make some money off our shit they take it over, exploit it, and destroy it. And thats just real talk.The only cats still makin that real shit is the underground artist.
thats all true,but the only problem with this is alot of underground rappers tryin to sound mainstream.

Apr 25, 2002
NICKpro RM said:
the funny part is that 95% of the cats on this board EAT IT UP - its almost like no one WANTS anything original
True..everytime I come here someone is hyping some project like its the next big thing when it sounds like everything else coming out..then they come in these threads about "rap has fallen off" and they agree.

Nov 28, 2003
yupp, the rap game sucks right now and it not really doesn't matter because of who, cuz it's destroying itself right now and then it will have to rebuild again and while that rap will be good again... rap has to get completely destroyed and start again from zero... and that's what it's leaning towards... I mean even MTV VJs start making jokes about hiphop, noone takes the game serious anymore... it's time for an end and a restart... and I hope the rap buiz learned from their mistakes by then

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
These problems are not just limited to rap. They are found through out the entire music industry and blame should be placed on the label (ceo's, a&r etc) , the artist, producers and consumers. How many times have you been told "mc-pimp a hoe" is a fraud, a fake and a con yet you reply with "IT'S ONLY ENTERTAINMENT"?

Feb 12, 2005
NO QUESTION............

THE WORLD WE LIVE IN HAS NO SUBSTANCE OTHER THAN WHAT WE SEE AND HEAR........ FAKE THUGS GLORIFYING THE STREETS LIKE ITS A BLESSING TO BE DOIN YOUR THANG.... THE CATS REALLY OUT THERE DOIN THERE THANG AINT FEELIIN IT........ BUT ON THE REAL WHY ARE MOST IN MUSIC???????? WHEN U TRULY ANSWER THAT QUESTION IT COMES DOWN TO ALL THE THINGS THAT ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THESE SAME THINGS...... WE AT HIGHER RECORDS ARE PUSHIN A HARD LINE IN 2005....... PLOT THIS IS HOW IM LIVIN WILL BE ON THAT REAL SHIT YALL TALKIN ABOUT IS MISSIN........ DONT SLEEP THIS YEAR GANGSTAS........