Got a keyboard....now what?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 2, 2002
I recently got a keyboard as a gift. I dont know much about making music, but was wondering what program i could get to plug my keyboard into the computer and start messing around and "sequencing" or whatever its called.

Can someone recommend a good program to get started?

thank you

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
hmm, what kinda keyboard?

is it just a midi usb controller or is it rompler/synth midi keyboard?

If it's just a midi usb controller, better just get reason/fl studio. If it's a rompler/synth, you'll need a tracking program such as reaper/cubase/samplitude/sonar/protools/record.

Nov 2, 2002
^^^thanks!
I honestly dont know. Its the kind with lots of sounds built in...so i guess its not just a midi controller

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
ohh does it say the name on it by any chance?

Most keyboards at least have a main output and a headphones output. You can use either to connect it to your computers microphone line-in (I'm assuming you don't have an audio interface). Generally most keyboards are equipped with 1/4 output jacks for both the main and headphone outputs (you may just have a keyboard that has 1/8 jacks). If this is the case then you'll need an adaptor to connect it to your computers 1/8 line in.

Monoprice.com has good quality cables and adapters. You'll need at the very least these two items or ones similar to them:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10244&cs_id=1024407&p_id=5496&seq=1&format=2

AND

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10429&cs_id=1042903&p_id=7132&seq=1&format=2

But if you give us an idea of what brand and model the keyboard is I'm sure we can give you a better idea of how to connect it to a recording rig.

Nov 2, 2002
right on
its a casio wk210....real cheap. But it has all the necessary inputs and what not i think. I plan on messing around with this for a while and then buying something good.
THanks for your help

Jun 23, 2004
I would stick with Fruity loops to start. Also great program and can actually get complex once you start to "get it", and can load Virtual instruments that you can play with your keyboard. All you really need to do is go into settings in Fruity loops and click enable next to the name of your keyboard. Also you can use the typing keyboard. Casio is fine for starting, basically as long as you have a usb capable keyboard, your okay. because most the good sounds are not on the keyboard but on the DAWs and random VSTs.