Good set of monitors...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 5, 2006
I want to know which monitor will give you a true picture of whats going on in the mix, and will also translate well to the outside world. With NO muddiness and irritating screaches in the mid-high notes during playback.

My budget, just around $500.

I'm looking into the Yamaha HS50m $400 pair, but if Im gonna break four bills I might as well get a bigger pair of monitors, KRK RP8 Rokit $400 pair. I've listened to the HS but never tested the Rokits, so I'm buying these blindly.

My question is, Would the Rokits be a better buy because of its size compared to the HS50's? Is bigger monitors better? How was your experience with those Rokits?

Just want to know what the experienced pros think about this.

Apr 25, 2002
Bigger doesn't mean better here. Each room has it's own acoustic profile so monitors can sound one way in one room, and another way in another room. A lot of people like KRK's but I wouldn't recommend buying anything without hearing them first (even given what I just said about acoustics). I know someone who prefers his Emu PM5's over KRK any day. I personally prefer Mackie 824's.

Keep in mind that, although not absolute, general cost and quality are pretty evenly matched when it comes to monitors.

Monitors are just a tool to help you perform a task. What your mix sounds like depends on your ability and skill so buying new monitors might not be the magic ingredient in your case. What I always recommend people to do is listen to their favorite mixes and pick the sound apart, then try to duplicate it with your own stuff. It's the best way to learn what works, what works with what different sounds, and how the puzzle actually fits together. Hands on is the only way to get good man. Mixing is a true art form.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
go down to guitar center or your local audio store and listen to a cd that you have listened to a thousand times. i did this i took that cd "My Ghetto Report Card" down there and tested the monitors. i expected the KRK's to shit on everything else - because i was so used to people having these monitors - but actually the M-Audio BX8a's sounded better and clearer than everything they had. This is compared to the good KRK's the VXT series and the Event audio the Yamahas sounded pretty good though kinda bright to me.

my budget was about 500 and i found the M-Audio's on Ebay for about 350 brand new which is about the same price as the Entry level KRK's so i definetly gotta deal. you have to be the judge though.

not saying that good monitors are going to help you without practice it took me a few months to really get used to these monitors - just the other day i made my only vocal mix that sounded good and i still can't get my drums and bass sounding like it should

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
its all a matter of opinion the size of the room and what kind of music your doing, i'm guessing your making beats and maybe recording rappers in a room in your house. I like Event TR8s but in your situation you could make due with smaller woofers. you learn the characteristics of any speaker you can get a good mix IMO