George Lucas to revamp Original Trilogy (OT)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA
On a quest to find some answers, I resorted to extensive reading on some Star Wars boards.

I found exactly what I was hoping for. Producer Rick McCollum has confirmed that Lucas has been working on an "Ultimate Edition" for the original trilogy, which explains why it isn't out on DVD. It seems Lucas is still unhappy with the OT, and doesn't like the quality dropoff in SFX from the first to the second trilogies. Apparantly, the Special Editions that were released in the theater was sort of an experiment to see how the new CGI would mesh with the old film, to stir more interest before The Phantom Menance, and to help finance what is likely to be a very expensive undertaking.

It is very likely that the original actors will be all that's left of the new films, as the entire background throughout the movies will be digiatally done. Also, this technology will also create new scences with the original characters.

This confirms the rumor that Lucas shot some scenes for Ep 3 and the OT while in Tunisia.

Although the Ulitimate Edition work started even before the theatrical release of the Special Editions, it won't be completed until 2005 or 2006. According to the rumor mill, here are some of the things George will be looking to change:

*Enchance the light saber duel between Obi-Wan and Vader in Episode 4(which is what I mentioned a few days ago) and duels in the other two movies.

*Change the voices of Boba Fett and all the stormtroopers to match Jangos.

*Change some of the lines that break the continuity of the two trilogies that won't be explained in Episode III

*Possibly change Boba Fett's fate, showing him fly out of the pit after Skywalker and company leave.

*Deal with the fact that most of the Rebels and Imperials are humans by increasing the presence of other alien species

*John Williams has been asked to rescore the soundtrack

*Re-dub Ian McDiamond's(?) voice with the dude who was the Emperor in the OT

*Yoda training Luke in light sabre techniques

*References to Qui-Gonn

*Senate scenes and Bail Organa

*Many more minor changes like new light sabre effects, making Yoda CGI throughout, changing the SE Greedo shooting first, and many others. It's quite extensive.

Thoughts?

May 2, 2002
Im gonna be waiting for these, i got my vhs sets for now, gonna porbally swoop the vcd set this summer

Stealth, I dont think they are written(7, 8 and 9) they are more in his head and are a rough draft. Lucas has expressed that after episode 3 there will be no more new episodes. I hope he does change his mind and I kinda think he will in the future

I hope he does more prequals and branch out story lines like the begining of the emperor and the darth siths

Seems like shit can go on forever

May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Another update from the rumor mill:

Portman Inserted Into Jedi?

Rumors are circulating that George Lucas will insert footage of Natalie Portman as Padmé Amidala in Star Wars: Episode VI—Return of the Jedi, according to reports on the Ain't It Cool News Web site and MTV. The new footage will reportedly be shot during production of the upcoming Episode III prequel.

Lucas also reportedly told E! Online that the reason droids C-3P0 and R2-D2 have no memory of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader is because their memories have been wiped prior to the beginning of Episode IV, the original Star Wars movie. "[C-3P0's] memory system has been erased, and so has R2's," Lucas told the site. "So they don't remember anything from the first trilogy. I'm telling you something from Episode III, but I shouldn't be telling you that, but I think most of the fans already know that."

AICN also reported a wild rumor that the reviled computer-animated character Jar Jar Binks may wind up in a new, revised version of Episode IV.

Apr 25, 2002
episodes 7,8,9 arent really drafted out, but the comic book pretty much tells it all... pretty tight Luke joins the Darkside and the only ones who can bring him back to the force are Han and Leia's kids, Anakin and i forgot the other one involved.

Apr 25, 2002
If any of you ever wanna buy a good untold story star wars book then get Shadows of the Empire. I've said it before...I heard rumors that he might make a movie of it and I hope he does...

SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE

Here is the untold story of the events that took place between the movies The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi: A novel in which Darth Vader still lives - and battle battles a villian as powerful and evil as himself.

It is a time of crisis. Han Solo, frozen in carbonite, is being taken to the vile gangster Jabba the Hutt. As Princess Leia mounts a rescue mission including Luke Skywalker, Lando Calrissian, and a brilliant young pilot, Darth Vader pits himself against a cunning and ruthless rival. Xizor is the leader of a powerful crime syndicate who seeks to supplant Vader for the favor of their mutual master, the dreaded Emperor. Their target: Luke Skywalker. Suddenly Luke finds himself the potential prize of the two most evil entities in the galaxy - one who wants him alive...and one who wants him dead.

May 2, 2002
Anyone got the plugs on the comic books?

Juan..I just picked up that book, a Darth Maul and a new jedi order book..gonna start reading one of later this week after I get finihsed with lord of Rings:Two Towers

Any other good star wars books out there?

Apr 25, 2002
Lawz 2760 said:
Any other good star wars books out there?
I'm not really a Star Wars fan anymore but back in junior high I bought two of the books...Shadows of the Empire and Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

Tales of the Bounty Hunters is pretty good it's not just one story, it's 5 stories...Boba Fett, Boskk and some other ones. The only problem is it doesnt have a story for Greedo.

Those are the only two Star Wars books I have read.

Apr 25, 2002
Lawz 2760 said:
Who is Greedo?

Ill post my thoughts on the books as I finish, Im a slow reader though haha

U wanna dump that Bounty Hunters book this way? Lemme know
Greedo is the bounty hunter that Han Solo shoots in the cantina in episode IV.

I dunno if you want it...I wrote in it and it has a couple rips on the cover.