Gas 6 cents a gallon

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 10, 2009
Thought this was interesting on yahoo::

The World's Highest Gas Prices:

1. Asmara, Eritrea — $9.59/gallon
2. Oslo, Norway — $7.41/gallon
3. Copenhagen, Denmark — $6.89/gallon
4. Hong Kong — $6.87/gallon
5. Monaco, Monte Carlo — $6.82/gallon

The World's Lowest Gas Prices:

1. Caracas, Venezuela — 6 cents/gallon
2. Tehran, Iran — 32 cents/gallon
3. Riyadh, Saudi Arabia — 45 cents/gallon
4. Kuwait, City, Kuwait — 85 cents/gallon
5. Cairo, Egypt — $1.17/gallon

So here we have a homogeneous product — pretty much the same in Caracas as it is in Asmara — ranging in price from 6 cents to nearly $10 a gallon. Why the big range? Looking at the list will offer the first hint: Most of the countries on the low-price list have lots of oil.

But another reason gas prices vary so widely is what the government does with gasoline. They control the price and/or consumption by loading on taxes, or in the case of Venezuela, subsidizing the price.

While the wild world of fossil fuel pricing is interesting, what gas costs in Asmara, Tehran and Oslo is ultimately only of interest to those who gas up there. What we're interested in is paying less for gas in our own neighborhoods. How do we find the cheapest gas?

Use Your Smart Phone

If you have a smart phone, go to where you can download apps (such as the Apple App Store or the Android Market) and do a search for "gas prices." You'll discover several free apps that will help you find prices at nearby stations. Note, however, that most of these apps are self-reporting — they depend on other app users to send in prices. That leads to two potential problems: First, gas prices may be out of date or inaccurate. Second, there's nothing that prevents the station owner from gaming the system by putting in a false low price to attract customers.

There are apps that don't depend on user-supported prices. AAA's TripTik iPhone App, for example, uses prices reported by the Oil Price Information Service and are derived from credit card transactions at more than 100,000 stations around the country, updated daily. The problem with this reporting method? Price can change more often than daily, and while 100,000 is a lot of stations to survey, it's not all of them.
Use your computer

There are several websites that will help you find the cheapest gas in your area. A few examples, all of which allow you to search by zip code:

• Gasbuddy
• MSN gas prices
• Gas Price Watch
• Mapquest Gas Prices
• FuelMeUp

Like the smart-phone apps, most of these sites feature user-reported prices or Oil Price Information Service-reported prices, so the same caveats apply.
Watch the weather: there could be cheaper gas prices in coming months

Watch the Weather: There Could Be Cheaper Gas Prices in Coming Months

In doing research for this story, I talked to Fred Rozell, director of retail pricing for the Oil Price Information Service. He says that if the economy remains sluggish and provided there are no supply disruptions, we could see pump prices drop by as much as 50 cents a gallon after hurricane season.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
The US needs to follow suit with whatever resource we kick ass in producing since those oil producing countries aren't doing us any favors. We need a way to stick it to China

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Yeah these German's here pay around 1.30 euro per LITRE, so thats roughly $6.00 a gallon, I always crack on some of the German girls I chill with about that cause I live on a US Military post and only pay $2.90 lol then I make them drive when we go places cause I stay drunk....

cool story, breh

Aug 9, 2006
Yeah these German's here pay around 1.30 euro per LITRE, so thats roughly $6.00 a gallon, I always crack on some of the German girls I chill with about that cause I live on a US Military post and only pay $2.90 lol then I make them drive when we go places cause I stay drunk....

cool story, breh
my boy lives in germany, hes got out of the army but works on base...one of his perks is he can fill up his familys 2 cars on base and pay about what we pay here......cool story

Sep 16, 2008
The US needs to follow suit with whatever resource we kick ass in producing since those oil producing countries aren't doing us any favors. We need a way to stick it to China
need to get that Alaskan Oil and stop letting other countries gouge the fuck out of us

kieu

Sicc OG
Oct 8, 2006
Our gas prices are roughly the same. It's just our prices get fucked cause of the taxes, and Europe just has higher tax. But the Venezuela shit is on a whole other level

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
gas in the US is on average 1/3 of the price of other non oil producing countries, IDK where the US is rated as an oil producing country though. Its probably low because we stockpile alot of what we produce and don't export alot to other countries.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I remember the first time I filled my 1st cars tank it was 2.99 a gallon @ Shell .......... on Hamilton & Meridian in SJ !

The Arco on Foxworthy always has cheap gas in SJ .
90's baby alert!!!!

I remember complaining when the cheapest gas I could find was $1.50 at the arco on hegenberger

Legman

پراید آش
Nov 5, 2002
people in eritrea and iran pay 32 cents per gallon at the expense of living a normal life

old news to me

id rather have my freedom in america then hangin from a rope in iran for lookin at a broad and cheap gas

shit id rather walk in that case