G-Dubb & fellow A's fans...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Just curious as to what your thoughts are/were on the first half of the season. Any chance for the division title?! Wildcard?! It seems they started their annual second half surge a bit early this season. Billy Beane and the young players he brings up never cease to amaze me on how well they respond so quickly to major league level. A few possible future all stars in the making could be on the horizon once again.

Can this young squad compete the rest of this season as well as it did the first half?! Only time will tell...

Late the praise/hatin' begin... :knockout:

Jan 2, 2003
Mr. Chronic said:
Just curious as to what your thoughts are/were on the first half of the season. Any chance for the division title?! Wildcard?! It seems they started their annual second half surge a bit early this season. Billy Beane and the young players he brings up never cease to amaze me on how well they respond so quickly to major league level. A few possible future all stars in the making could be on the horizon once again.

Can this young squad compete the rest of this season as well as it did the first half?! Only time will tell...

Late the praise/hatin' begin... :knockout:
the A's definately have a chance.....a slim one indeed tho....

dont forget the A's r one of the best second half teams in baseball....and like i said before..if any division teams get cold, it'll be REAL interesting...

the A's have shown they have tremendous heart....

the pitching right now is DISGUSTING!!!!!.....and the hitting is comin around...Bobby Crosby is the man right now...

DON'T COUNT THE A's OUT!!!!

Nov 23, 2004
i thnk tha As can het to the playoffs for sure....i see alot of games in sac of the rivercats...the As minor league team....i cant believe how fast they adjust to major league ball....as far as talent goes...i think the As are way more talented than their record.....but i think they will come through this part of the season like always...one of the reasons for them to be so str4ong late in the season is how young the team keeps getting...young arms and young legss will get you far in a162 game season.....but i hope we can finish off a series strong in the playoffs....but i know theres some more cats comin up to the As that will make the As better for our future

As bitch

Nov 14, 2002
Mr. Chronic said:
Being 9.5 games out of first is competing?

AGENT707 said:
dont forget the A's r one of the best second half teams in baseball
This is nowhere near the same team though. Oakland most definitely deserves props for their 14-2 run, but they won't play .900 baseball the rest of the season. With Minnesota, Texas, the surging Indians, and even NY getting stronger there's just no way the A's will win the wildcard.

Apr 25, 2002
Yes, there's a chance, but I don't know that I would count on it just yet.

As far as the AL West goes, they might be buried too far back to contend unless the Angels have some major injuries or some kind of meltdown. However the Angels have a tougher schedule than the A's. The Angels have 7 wins against KC, the worst team in the majors. The A's haven't even played them at all yet. I think the Angels also have more games against some of the tougher teams, like Boston, etc.

The A's were also able to split 6 games with the Angels already when they were playing at their worst, so if they can win a majority of their upcoming games they can make up more ground.

I don't doubt that the A's will come in at least second, and I think the Angels and A's will be a lot closer in the end than anyone expected.

The Wild Card is definitely a realistic possibility.

Beane will make a move or two before the trade deadline... He always does. Durazo, Hatteberg, Byrnes, some guys in AAA, they have a lot of guys they can trade away to a contender in the NL or to a team that's rebuilding like KC. I think it's pretty much guaranteed that Beane will make a move or two late this month, and I think it's also pretty much guaranteed that the trades will improve the team, just like his deadline trades the past 4 or 5 years have been (Dye, Guillen, Mecir, Rincon, Durham, etc.)

Apr 25, 2002
Sicc_Wit_It said:
This is nowhere near the same team though. Oakland most definitely deserves props for their 14-2 run, but they won't play .900 baseball the rest of the season. With Minnesota, Texas, the surging Indians, and even NY getting stronger there's just no way the A's will win the wildcard.
None of the A's teams that were strong in the second half were the same A's teams... That's the point. Beane sets up his team to be strong in the second half.

Beginning of the season - halfway to All-Star Break, he sees what he has.

Halfway to All-Star Break to All-Star Break, make changes so the team is playing at their full potential.

All-Star Break to the end of the season, make trades to fill the holes and make a run for the playoffs.

The A's being hot in the second half all those years was no accident.

Jan 2, 2003
Sicc_Wit_It said:
Being 9.5 games out of first is competing?

whos sayin wildcard???

im talkin about DIVISION CROWN...

THERES FUCKING OVER 80 GAMES LEFT....

they have already come back from 15 games below .500

U NEVER KNOW WHAT CAN HAPPEN.....

"this is nowhere near the same team"

seems like they say that every year after givin up sum big names...

they dont have to play .900 baseball the rest of the season...

TEXAS will crumble...GAURANTEED...

u must be a giants fan...

Nov 14, 2002
G-Dubb said:
The A's were also able to split 6 games with the Angels already when they were playing at their worst, so if they can win a majority of their upcoming games they can make up more ground.
The last time Anaheim and Oakland played each other was April 24th, when the A's were 9-11. They didn't hit their lowest point until June came around.

G-Dubb said:
None of the A's teams that were strong in the second half were the same A's teams... That's the point. Beane sets up his team to be strong in the second half.
Every Oakland team had that "Big 3" of Zito, Mulder, and Hudson in the rotation, and then a bat that goes on an absolute tear such as Jason Giambi or Miguel Tejada. They might have half of the equation this year, but not both.

AGENT707 said:
u must be a giants fan...
Not at all...

Apr 25, 2002
Sicc_Wit_It said:
The last time Anaheim and Oakland played each other was April 24th, when the A's were 9-11. They didn't hit their lowest point until June came around.
True, but as someone who watches the team so closely that it probably borders insanity, I can tell you they were getting by but still playing very badly for the most part.

Sicc_Wit_It said:
Every Oakland team had that "Big 3" of Zito, Mulder, and Hudson in the rotation, and then a bat that goes on an absolute tear such as Jason Giambi or Miguel Tejada. They might have half of the equation this year, but not both.
Except that guys like Jason Giambi and Miguel Tejada didn't really go on absolute tears in the second half.

Sometimes a guys numbers would improve, but not enough to carry the entire team through a second half like the ones they had.

Look at the guys they acquired the past few years... This is what made them a hot 2nd half team:

Terrence Long
Jason Isringhausen

Jim Mecir
Chad Bradford

Jermaine Dye
Billy Koch

Ted Lilly
Ray Durham
Ricardo Rincon
Keith Foulke

Jose Guillen

Octavio Dotel

As far as pitching, if I remember correctly, historically Barry Zito has been the guy who makes the big 2nd half improvements, not Mulder or Hudson. Also, this year Rich Harden has been and likely will be better than any of the Big 3 were.

May 10, 2002
Fucken Angels keep winning, its pissing me off, hopefully they will fall all out wack pretty soon and start losing more games then they win. For the most part the A's pitching is doing pretty good, its that run support thats always suspect, just yesterday they got shutout by there former teammate Ted Lilly. Im just glad we are making it back to 500 by the all star break, thats all i was hoping for.

Apr 25, 2002
http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NA...t_id=1122733&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak

07/09/2005 2:07 PM ET
A's lock up Kotsay with extension
Center fielder agrees to three-year contract
By Mychael Urban / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Throughout weeks of back-and-forth talks between his agent and A's brass regarding a contract extension, Mark Kotsay was pestered on a near-daily basis for updates.
"I'm looking forward to the day when I don't have to address this at all, one way or another," Kotsay said recently. "I just want to play baseball."

And now he can. The A's on Saturday announced that they've reached an agreement with Kotsay on a three-year contract extension that will keep the veteran center fielder in Oakland through 2008.

Greg Genske, Kotsay's agent, was said to be looking for a two-year deal worth about $14 million with some form of no-trade clause. The A's, as per club policy, did not announce any specifics about the deal outside its length. General manager Billy Beane was scheduled to speak with Bay Area reporters Saturday on a conference call at 3 p.m. PT.

Under the terms of his old deal, Kotsay, who is making $7.025 million this year and has a player option for next year at $7.05 million, could have cut ties with the A's after this season and become a free agent. That fueled speculation that Kotsay was on the trading block, and rumors that he was headed to the Yankees or Cubs have been rampant.

The new deal eliminates the opt-out option, and an A's spokesman said he was unaware of any options in the extension.

Apr 25, 2002
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/07/09/SPGSVDKMF91.DTL

A'S REPORT
Payton's agent shoots down Boston trade for Bradford
Susan Slusser
Saturday, July 9, 2005

Chicago -- Craig Landis, the agent for outfielder Jay Payton, said Friday that, contrary to newspaper and radio reports in Boston, he was informed that no deal has been consummated between Boston and Oakland that would send his client to the A's in exchange for reliever Chad Bradford.

"What I understand is that the Red Sox are talking to the A's, but as of an hour ago, those reports were false -- no deal has been completed," Landis said. "I talked to the Red Sox front office and they said they were still talking to more than one team.

"Even if there were a trade, I guess it would be contingent on Bradford passing a physical, and when I specifically asked if that was the case, (the Red Sox) said no. I have to take the Red Sox at their word that there is no deal in place."

The Boston Globe, the Providence Journal and ESPN's Peter Gammons all reported that Payton was heading to Oakland for Bradford. The A's front office has declined to comment.

Payton was designated for assignment Thursday after a run-in with Boston manager Terry Francona over playing time. If the A's were to obtain Payton as a fifth outfielder, his at-bats might not increase all that much.

"Jay would like to go somewhere and play more," Landis said. "He's a good outfielder and he wants to play on a regular basis or at least compete for a job. He'd like to go somewhere there aren't three dominant outfielders."

Should the A's move on this deal and choose not to stick with five outfielders, it's possible they could flip Payton to another club, perhaps as part of a package. The Cubs and Rockies, among others, have been mentioned as teams with interest in Payton.

Payton is earning $3.5 million this year and has a team option for $4 million next year with a $500,000 buyout. The Red Sox received $2.65 million from the Padres in order to pay Payton's contract when they obtained him from San Diego last winter, but it's unclear if the savings would be passed along to Payton's next team.

"My understanding is that would be negotiable," Landis said.

It's possible that to make room for Payton, the A's could trade Eric Byrnes, who made a rare start against a right-handed starter on Friday in Chicago.

Briefly: The A's signed second-round draft pick Craig Italiano, a right- handed pitcher from Flower Mound (Texas) High School. Italiano is expected to be assigned to the A's Rookie League team in Arizona. ... Macha said that DH Erubiel Durazo took batting practice the past two days in Phoenix and looked fine, according to the reports he received. Durazo, who has elbow tendinitis, will remain in Arizona through the All-Star break.

May 6, 2002
Props on handling the White Sox.
You guys are on an amazing streak. Actually, I dont even really want to jinx it as a streak..so I will state that your team is really picking up the pace and seems to have gathered themselves. Your offense is doing some nice damage, and the pitching has been pretty good.

The Angels choked against Seattle, but it should be alright.

This should be a great second half.

May 10, 2002
I cant believe the Angels lost 4 in a row to Seattle at home, thats pretty pathetic, the A's only lost 1 game to Seattle in those 2 series we had with them recently and they should have won that game if Crosby didnt drop that double play ball. The A's and Angels have a lot of games with eachother left so whoever gets the best of that will definitely win the division, Texas is just a pawn in the game of chess lol.

Apr 25, 2002
Rich Harden's line tonight:

9 Innings, 2 Hits, 0 Runs, 0 Walks, 8 Strikeouts, 80 pitches (61 strikes,) perfect through 7 1/3 against one of the best hitting clubs in the majors. He only faced 2 hitters over the minimum 27.