Funk Question???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 2, 2003
Recently I've been workin on music theory, and it just hasn't clicked with me yet, so I got some questions....

What key/chords/scales, are utilized in funk music....?
Is it mostly based off jazz chords n such...?

Also

What scale/key do u guys like to work in ???

any tips or suggestion on music theory would be apprecited..

Thanks

Apr 25, 2002
I dont think funk uses alot of jazz chords. I've been learning funk guitar the past few months and the main chords I've been playing have been 9 chords(particulary E9). Funk also uses alot of dominant chords/voicings. Im still learning myself..maybe Ill post up a little sample of something I was messing around with earlier.

Apr 26, 2006
Anyways, I personally don't know shit about theory. I just use my ears. From my personal experience, it's all in how you hit the keys. You have to have good rhythm and timing. Bounce your fingers on the keys. Like Filthy Rich said, the sounds themselves play a factor also. The "wah wah" effect can enhance or give you that funky feel.

Listen to this, a little funky beat I made:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/81371529f053f9/

50cal don't like the drumbeat, but fuck him, he never helps. lol

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Naw I love that drum beat.. sounds like some Dr Dre...when you sampled the drums did you run em through an ssl and Eq before you recorded the sample? And the funky worm...ahaha...If I would you I would just take the worm out and during the verse..just do a lil solo with a pulse or something...lets see how funky ya get with it...

Feb 2, 2006
Anyways, I personally don't know shit about theory. I just use my ears. From my personal experience, it's all in how you hit the keys. You have to have good rhythm and timing. Bounce your fingers on the keys. Like Filthy Rich said, the sounds themselves play a factor also. The "wah wah" effect can enhance or give you that funky feel.

Listen to this, a little funky beat I made:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/81371529f053f9/

50cal don't like the drumbeat, but fuck him, he never helps. lol
that beat clean check out what i got

malki-funky_beat-instrumental.mp3 - 2.15MB

^i dunno i sampled that and the other one is kinda slow just some beats i made fucking around

malki-funky_beat_2-instrumental.mp3 - 2.68MB

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
You and booboo should collab and be a production team the funkless deuce or DOS Funky Hermanos and some fruity loops....hahah Im so funny...no hard feelings just havin fun...but fa real yall need to do something about them drums...and i aint really talking about the programming....unless you doing some other genre the claps and snares should snap your head back and the kick should sound like someones pounding in your chest.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
^LOL ya i cant mix bra i suck at it im still learning tho im trying to learn the fruity loops right now. i fuck with reason b.

ay but listen what i did with the second beat...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/9202291679c23f/
Not bad..drums still sound about as hard as two pillows slapping agianst each other..I like the beat but it needs a lil work but has some potential to be hot, but it sounds like some late 80's early 90's but i like it.

Feb 2, 2006
yya i just did the song today i think it came out coo need to get mixed tho its too much bass in the piano sample to hear definition in the drums is the problem eq will fix it and it needs to be limited but ya know rough draft rough draft

Apr 25, 2002
I gave the beats in this thread a listen but I didn't hear any funk. If you guys want to learn how to play funk, the best way to do that is by learning to play your favorite funk songs. Once you're familiar with the fingering, chords, bla bla bla, then try something original or actually remake your favorite funk song so you can hear it track-by-track.

Play your beat back-to-back with a real funk track and really listen to the differences. It should be real easy to hear what you're lacking.

Apr 25, 2002
Heres a little somethin I put together practicing some real funk guitar techniques..
http://www.zshare.net/audio/92339989001713/
I put down an old school Herbie Hancock soundin bassline and played some basic funk rhythms Ive been practicing on the guitar, Ive only been playing for a few months. I wasn't trying to do anything extremely original or innovative...just trying to get the funky ass flavor down. The mix is a little raw.

Apr 26, 2006
Heres a little somethin I put together practicing some real funk guitar techniques..
http://www.zshare.net/audio/92339989001713/
I put down an old school Herbie Hancock soundin bassline and played some basic funk rhythms Ive been practicing on the guitar, Ive only been playing for a few months. I wasn't trying to do anything extremely original or innovative...just trying to get the funky ass flavor down. The mix is a little raw.
Sounds good man, I like it. That's your traditional Funk sound. That clav is funky as hell.

I don't know exactly what INCHEZ is reffering to, but I'm assuming he's reffering more to G-Funk/Mobb-Funk style of sound. Which of course can sound totally different than your traditional Funk.