FRONTLINE Doc exposing U of Phoenix

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 12, 2006
This was a great doc about how businessmen are making for profit colleges into huge money earners for themselves at the expense of its students. Check it out for a few minutes if your interested keep watchin

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
I saw that a year or something ago - the one thing I have always wondered is what kind of person would go to these colleges seriously expecting to get a good education? The whole thing is a lot like the van that says "free candy" on it - even the kids know not to fall for such a cheap trick, and pretty much everything about these universities just screams "scam". So how can anyone voluntarily sigh up and pay them money for a crappy diploma that isn't worth anything to anyone?

The only way this could happen is if that person was so ignorant about the world around them that they can't even tell the difference between a reputable institution of higher learning and a for-profit factory for worthless degrees. In which case these universities being shit becomes a vicious closed cycle - they suck but the students they attract also suck which makes it impossible to raise the level (as the lowest common denominator is usually the target level), etc. etc,

Dec 12, 2006
If you remember half way into the doc they talk about how aggressive the recruiters are, targeting people that they know cant afford it, single moms, etc etc etc and selling them false dreams.

The reality is also that State schools are cutting back enrollment same with community colleges and as result U of Phoneix has a student body larger than all the UC's and Ivy leagues combined!!!

The interest on the loans they provided is insanely high, and call me what you want but I understood very little about finance when I was 18 n 19 and for many U of P and the other provide an advertised opportunity that many people would not be able to achieve through the normal channels of education, these types of institutions are getting more and more powerful, I forget the numbers, but they are spending more on marketing than a lot of major companies and they dont rely on donors they rely on investors...