Freedom Town: Aesthetic and Recreational Lawn Alternative

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
@ NiNe2FiVe what technique do you use for fading? I do the make a guid line, open the clippers raise up the line, erase the line etc.
I set an initial perimeter with whatever I (they) want on the bottom with my Oster 76's, usually up to just a hair below the point of they hairline at the temple.

Then I cut the top of the hair to whatever the desired top length is, again with the 76's.

Then depending on the hair I skip down a blade size between the top and the bottom. That gives me 2 perimeter lines at 3 lengths of hair, the top, middle, and bottom.

So lets say if you wanted a 2 on top and a 0 on the sides, Id skip down to a 1, that way the new perimeter lines would then represent a 1.5 and a 0A.

Then I go back with the blade sizes that were skipped (the 1.5 and 0A) and go at the lines, just high enough, and flick out (towards me) so it wont start another line. That (usually) will fade the lines, if not get rid of them entirely.

Then I use the adjustable clippers and clip on guard, depending on the hair length, and re-go over the lines and adjust down until I take off just the tops of the hair. That way you get a more gradual transition from the short bottom to the top.

Then I always re-go over the top because every hair counts and sometimes if your having trouble fading the top line its because you missed a spot initially.

Something that also makes a fade look better is working with the shape of your head. If you have a nice shaped head, round that's to say, the perimeter you put in should angle a little lower towards the back of your head, so it's not a straight line all the way around. People that have big heads, or otherwise fat heads, typically have a flat back of their heads, in that case you can do a much straighter perimeter.

That's it, line em up, slap some bay rum on them and kick them out the door.

Apr 26, 2003
East Oakland, USA
Anybody can run a clipper over your head. If you just want a size to another size and a blurry line between there's a billion people that can do that. But for me, as dorky as it may sound, barbering means a lot more to me. It means knowing what looks good on what kinda head, with what kinda hair. Knowing face shapes and facial hair styles. Knowing how to use all the tools. Going above and beyond the expected, not just being someone giving a 15 minute haircut, but if I can spend 30 minutes, do a great cut, add a nape shave and a razor line-up, and keep a conversation going to whole time. Knowing what kinda products to recommend, as well as making someone laugh, or just letting them sit there for a few minutes away from their wives crap.

The barber shop was a place you went on a Saturday to get everything cleaned up and fixed, get some shit off your chest away from the wife, get your shoes shined, get you ready for the next week of work. It got away from that for a long time. It's starting to come back now, but its cluttered with douche bags wearing ed hardy and doing faux-hawks, designs, and fruity colors on peoples heads. The opposite is just as bad, you got asshole hipsters, with their forced handlebar mustaches, vintage pendeltons and selvedge denim, or wearing overly ironic bowties, who talk more about the good old days they weren't alive for than cut hair. I'm just rambling now, but you get it. Lol.