Freedom Town: Aesthetic and Recreational Lawn Alternative

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
No, I mean a stipend that comes either from an RAship which comes out of your lab's grant money if they have enough to pay for you, or from a TAship which the department pays. Usually a program will garnette you 3 or 4 years of funding, and well funded (which often, though not always, overlaps with good) labs usually have no problem supporting you.
In academia, you are 100% correct - but funding for PHD vs say MD is a totally different beast. You aren't required to work in a lab, or even research for that matter. Its more about training you into a specialty. Plus a lot of the schools are separate entities that are not even intermingled with undergrad campus. So really besides scholarships there is no funding except your loan money. Thats why most Medical Docs / Dentist come out with a shit ton of loans.

If I was to stick with chem, yea i would of easily got paid TA money, and RA money - plus shit load of govt programs that trying to get people in research.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
This is the prob:

Military = 0 loan, 70k salary, 3K a month in living expenses. So that 70k is dispensable. Yet you are never going really go far up in rank to make over 90k. Good retirement.

Civillian= 180k loan, 220k salary. If you pay off that loan in 5 years, your killing it.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
Sometimes you need to invest in yourself (time or money)... not just in school, but in life to get ahead.

Rarely will the minimal effort, get you the max results.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
she got a D.M.D. from Tufts.
You learn something new everyday, forced me to google this:

Dentists in the United States either have the initials DMD or DDS after their name. A lot of people may wonder what the difference is between the two. But the truth is that the only difference is in the name: The dental degree and the education are the same. DMD stands for Doctor of Dental Medicine and DDS stands for Doctor of Dental Surgery.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
yeah i know im just sayin fuck school debt aint no guarantee your gonna get that money back
I agree, and the way the system is raping the student for every penny is fucked. Personally I don't think many of the liberal art degree's are worth what they charge. How you going to get a degree in History for like 35-60k, and then have almost zero job prospect. You might as well just not gone to school, and work a trade - you'd be better off.

If for 35-60K you got a degree in engineering thats a totally different story, and the job rate for new grads is worth that risk. Plus you will be making way more then enough to pay that off.

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
My sister got her degree in Art History and besides the "prestige" that comes with a degree, it is basically as good as a paper airplane lol

Why put yourself in major debt for something that has almost no careers available?

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
My sister got her degree in Art History and besides the "prestige" that comes with a degree, it is basically as good as a paper airplane lol

Why put yourself in major debt for something that has almost no careers available?
Cause our country is stuck in 60's and 70's model of go to college and have a job waiting for you. Greedy fucks saw there was a fortune to be made, and commenced to rape tuition.

I wish straight out of high school I would of got into a trade like plumbing or electrician. Probably little to no school debt, union pay, and maybe start your own company and get your own contracts and make cash.

grass is always greener...