For first time, Ohio executes inmate with drug used on animals

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 10, 2002
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2014460755_execute11.html

By Rob Stein

The Washington Post

Ohio executed an inmate Thursday with one drug, previously used primarily to euthanize animals, marking the first time anyone in the United States had been put to death in that manner.

Johnnie Baston, 37, was pronounced dead at 10:30 a.m. at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville, Ohio, after receiving an infusion of the drug pentobarbital. His attorney and two brothers witnessed the execution, along with five reporters.

Baston was sentenced to die for killing Chong-Hoon Mah, a South Korean immigrant who was shot in the back of the head. The 53-year-old victim's relatives oppose the death penalty. No members of the Mah family were present Thursday.

The execution comes after capital punishment in the United States was thrown in disarray in January when the only U.S. company that makes a sodium thiopental, which Ohio and most other states long had used in lethal injection, announced it no longer would produce the drug.

The decision by Hospira, of Lake Forest, Ill., was prompted by demands from Italy, which does not have capital punishment, that sodium thiopental — which the company had planned to make at its plant outside Milan — not be used for executions.

The decision forced states and the federal government to scramble for alternatives.

Hospira's announcement was praised by death-penalty opponents for raising new questions about the procedures used for lethal injection. They have seized on the development to challenge further executions. Lawsuits have been filed, for example, claiming some states have imported sodium thiopental illegally.

But the decision was condemned by supporters of capital punishment. Some blasted another country's interference in the U.S. criminal-justice system. Others said further delays in executions would anger the public. Surveys show a majority of U.S. citizens support executions.

Thirty-four states, including Washington, allow for capital punishment. All use lethal injection, and until recently all but two had used a three-drug cocktail: sodium thiopental to render the prisoner unconscious, pancurium bromide to paralyze the prisoner and potassium chloride to stop the heart.

Shortages of sodium thiopental began after Hospira stopped making it in August 2009 because of problems obtaining one of the main ingredients, prompting doctors to turn to alternatives and some states to delay executions.

The company had planned to shift production from a plant in North Carolina to a facility in Liscate, Italy. But after those plans became public, the Italian Parliament demanded the company ensure that the drug would be used only for medical purposes.

Oklahoma last year became the first state to switch to another method, replacing sodium thiopental with pentobarbital in its three-drug combination. After winning a court challenge to that decision, the state has executed three inmates since December.

Dec 2, 2006
How about the fact that the victims family opposed the penalty and refused to show up to the execution.
It is taken into consideration by the prosecutor, but ultimately the choice is up to the prosecutor to pursue capital punishment if he/she thinks they can satisfy the required elements. Prosecuting a capital murder case is a prize to some, or so I am told.

We have to be realistic, atleast I think I try to be. This is a reasonable solution given the facts. What are we talking about again????

Legman

پراید آش
Nov 5, 2002
lol @ killing people for killing people

that sure teaches the youth alot dont it?

same thing with throwing people in prisons for weak ass crimes, like holdin a drug on your person...they get locked up and come out killing machines

im sure i dont know half of what im talkin about, to be honest...but this system we have setup now, is literally like a crime university

im shocked prisons dont have advertisement in this country

Roz

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2009
www.facebook.com
lol @ killing people for killing people

that sure teaches the youth alot dont it?

same thing with throwing people in prisons for weak ass crimes, like holdin a drug on your person...they get locked up and come out killing machines

im sure i dont know half of what im talkin about, to be honest...but this system we have setup now, is literally like a crime university

im shocked prisons dont have advertisement in this country

I agree that the judicial system is a joke here. Creating new criminals everyday.