Favorite 80's Rock Band/Artist

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 18, 2003
Who is/was your favorite 80's Rock Band? By "rock" I aim to exclude the "Hard/heavy Rock" bands such as Guns N' Roses and Metallica. You know what I'm talking about, that real 80's shit.

I grew up listening to Bon Jovi, he was my favorite throughout my childhood. But in hindsight, I think the best 80's band ever has to be Journey. Their greatest hit's record is rediculous. Also, another band that I started really liking after I had already grown up is Foreigner. All 3 of these bands/artists were awesome.

[video=youtube;HVs4jDL-JBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVs4jDL-JBo[/video]

Props: S.SAVAGE
Mar 9, 2003

[video=youtube;4ge6oCmu2l0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ge6oCmu2l0[/video]
[video=youtube;N8n6k8QcU3k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8n6k8QcU3k[/video]
Bauhaus were an English band formed in Northampton, England in 1978. The group consisted of Peter Murphy (vocals), Daniel Ash (guitar), Kevin Haskins (drums) & David J (bass). The band was originally named Bauhaus 1919 until they dropped the numerals within a year of formation. They combined a number of influences (punk, glam rock, funk & dub) to create a gloomy but very passionate sound, appealing to many looking for something new after punk. Their sound proved very influential, inspiring or bringing attention to a whole wave of post-punk groups delving in the intense, gloomy style that would eventually come to be known as goth rock. Bauhaus remains one of the most popular groups of its era and genre.

Their first single came out in August '79 so I would consider them 80s

Mar 18, 2003
ehh 80's metallica was thrash metal, not hard rock or hair band. but if we count thrash bands, then slayer >>>>
I was intentionally vague when saying "Hard Rock" so as to include all that you've just named.

and isn't journey from the 70's?
They started in the 70's, but expierenced their glory days through the 80's, went on to play in the 90's and in fact, are technically together as of right now if I'm not mistaken (minus Perry). IMO Steve Perry IS Journey and he didn't join the band until the late 70's. More importantly, however, is that their two best albums were from the 80's while of course, Steve Perry was the singer.

Escape and Frontiers were the shit!

DNI

Sicc OG
May 5, 2002
I think they (or at least Morrissey) came off that way to everyone. Doesn't affect the music though (to me anyways).

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
i have to exclude ac/dc and iron maiden? fuck this thread

based on the criteria set forth by the journey answer, my obvious answer is rush.

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
For the life of me I could never understand the appeal of ac/dc.
its summertime/BBQ/on a boat/any social gathering music. just hard enough where the guys enjoy it but catchy enough for girls to sing along. not the greatest music in the world but hard to argue its overall appeal. not everybody loves ac/dc but almost nobody HATES it

Mar 18, 2003
Yeah can't argue with that. When I'm at a function and it comes on it definitely goes with the occasion. But I could never listen to it in my truck or when I'm working out, or anytime outside of a party-type atmosphere.

Mar 18, 2003
Huey Lewis & The News
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humor. In '87, Huey released Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

May 16, 2002
Some good stuff already listed, but one of my tops for sure is The Church. All of their albums up to the present are pretty fucking tight.

Here is the song that most are familiar with...
[video=youtube;C_Z48dHFYLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Z48dHFYLc[/video]

S.SAVAGE

SICCNESS MOTHERFUCKER
Oct 25, 2011
EAST SAN JOSE
Good 1 hit wonder type was "Big Country" from Ireland. Though they had only the 1 hit, that album was great.

Tom Petty & The Heart breakers gets an honorable mention, Journey, Foreigner, Huey Lewis, of course all the ones mentioned ( Minus the Smiths,... cant stand that shit )

But who can leave out Talking Heads? Duran Duran? ...Simple Minds, Simply Red, Def Leppard, INXS, The Cars, Genesis, Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Just to name a few favs from the 80's.

Nice thread, wish it had more life to it.

Props: Nuttkase