FANTOM X SERIES OR FANTOM G!?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 5, 2004
alright i been doing research online, and im gitting the impression that i should go down the X route.... but now i want to noe wut the siccness thinks? am i better going off with the X series... or is the new G series gona be worth the extra money?? Hmmmm.......:ermm:

May 1, 2003
I have the X6. The G seems more user friendly and has more effects processors and some other features not found on the X series. Can't go wrong with either one.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I have a X6 and have 3 srx boards in it. If you're familiar with the XP series it won't take you long to learn the sequencer and crank something out. I've had limited play time with the G (played it with it at a friends spot), but I do like my X6. There are pro's and cons to each, but do the features for the G justify the price tag for you? If so, buy it. If not, buy a X and a couple of cards, or an x and a beat machine/sequencer like an mpc or mv8000.

Like Dob said, you really can't go wrong with either one, you just have to determine what you need, what you can and can't live without and go from there.

Feb 2, 2006
i want to get a fantom and a motif. as soon as possible

thats on my to do list

maybe an mpc too if i can figure out how to use the damn thing

Apr 5, 2004
I have a X6 and have 3 srx boards in it. If you're familiar with the XP series it won't take you long to learn the sequencer and crank something out. I've had limited play time with the G (played it with it at a friends spot), but I do like my X6. There are pro's and cons to each, but do the features for the G justify the price tag for you? If so, buy it. If not, buy a X and a couple of cards, or an x and a beat machine/sequencer like an mpc or mv8000.

Like Dob said, you really can't go wrong with either one, you just have to determine what you need, what you can and can't live without and go from there.
ya ima be sequencing from the mpc , ima have my mpc as the brains. and keyboard stricktly for the sounds...
what i really want to noe is does the G have many better sounds then the x? or bassically same stuff?

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
ya ima be sequencing from the mpc , ima have my mpc as the brains. and keyboard stricktly for the sounds...
what i really want to noe is does the G have many better sounds then the x? or bassically same stuff?
To me you probably can't go wrong with either, although my experience has only been with the X it has enough variety of sounds you wont be disappointed

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Pimp, better is based on your opinion, and your opinion is based on what you hear. There are sounds in the xp60 that still rival sounds in todays workstations, and there are sounds in todays workstations that make the 60sound like a casio. With either board you can load your own samples and go from there and it's very easy to modify or create your own patches. I can't say if it's the same because I haven't done an A-B test. Do you need a keyboard or can you get by with a module? If so, cop a fantom rack and motif rack and go that route.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
why would you need an mpc if you have the Fantom G? Doesn't it have the MV-8800 sequencer already inside it?

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
why would you need an mpc if you have the Fantom G? Doesn't it have the MV-8800 sequencer already inside it?
My boy who makes beats switched to software via a meko, but still sequences with the MPC4000. ( and he had a gang of keyboards, and modules)It would be a whole lot easier from a convenience factor by sequencing in the Meko, but he has not found a sequencer that is as good as the MPC for the type of music he does. He held onto the ASR-10 as well.He has more experience then most of us put together and has had some sucess at one time or another. He is gonna get another FantomX because he likes the sounds and the keyboards feel. He has made a beat using the Fantom Sequencer, but that was just to be able to know how. He doesn't like the sequencer either. He has had an MV8000 and that shit went out the door really quick.
He came up in a time when there wasn't Midi, and keyboards didnt have the big banks of sounds as today, so if you liked certain sounds from certain keyboards you would have to buy all those different keyboards and sync all that shit up with a sequencer via SMPTE( i think) the keyboards, drum machine recording equipment etc...i'm just stating this so you all dont think this is someone who has some piece of equipment cause someone else has it, He has bought and used almost any piece of gear you can think of and learned it completely before either keeping it or ditching it.
See back then there was no youtube or internet. the price of equipment was expensive as fuck....wasnt no free software, or 1500 dollar keyboard that did it all. There was no one to tell you how to use a piece of equipment and being most equipment was made in Asia the manuals were never very good and shit gets lost in transalation. So spending a grip of money it made you learn the equipment and bring the best out of each piece. There was more appreciation for that. Now shit is handed on a golden platter and many do not know how to use the features of their one program or keyboard, and if they are not instantly gratified they move from one piece of equipment to the other.
So to answer your question there is a good reason why many top producers stick wit MPC"s not saying you cant make a beat with anything else. Why does Dre still use MPC's..DJQuik, Battlecat...etc ( not saying cause they have one you need one) Those guys are Gear junkies, and are open to all kinds of shit, and have switched from full analog to using both...but they stick with the MPC...not cause its easy...if you came up when they did those were the difficult days, they can hop on almost any piece and start making beats cause although equipment has changed, many of it is the same in some regards.

May 1, 2003
He came up in a time when there wasn't Midi, and keyboards didnt have the big banks of sounds as today
I remember a long as time ago in 93, this singing broad asked me if I knew midi. She waited for my response and had a look on her mug as if she were anticipating a "Yes, of course I do" All she got was a blank stare. Funny as hell thinking about it now. She had a grip of gear in her room and didn't know how to use it.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
the g does not have the mv sequencer in it. actually the sequencer is a double edged sword, while its probably the most user friendly, it still lacks simple abilities found in sequencers 20 years old. the fantom is very powerful but roland has done a crappy job of channeling that power into the sequencer. the sound quality is excellent but the selection of preset sounds is limited. too much garbage and similar sounding presets for the people who dont have time to make their own patches. yamaha and korg do a much better job of catering to their customers and by a much wider margin. you would think roland forgot they produced the fantom g. the sad thing is the potential this machine has if roland would just get off their ass. but in the end the fantom g is like my wife. i cant stand that bitch but i wouldnt trade her in for the world. ive learned how to push her buttons and get what i want out of her.

Apr 5, 2004
i got a question, are the Fantom X6 keys semi-weighted like the x7? same goes wit the g6, are those keys semi-weighted? i cnt remember from the last time i played wit them at the store