Fallout: New Vegas

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 15, 2006
im still havin trouble learning how this game plays.. so there are there are points you can get temporarily? how long do they last? what ups your points temporarily?

im still at primm doing a quest but i keep dying

i havent stashed anything yet.. i havent found anywhere permanent to store stuff.. not in some ratty ass cabinet or stove..

shit is kinda complicating but i kno ill love it once i get all this down.. like all the abbreviations n shit, they dont really explain much you kinda gotta read thru the 'help' on ur own

Oct 19, 2008
San Diego
You can get temporary skill points using skill magazines. If you look in the "Aid" section of your Pip-Boy you can see the magazines and what skills they raise. They'll raise the skills by 10, but with the Comprehension perk you can raise it by 20. They last around 30 seconds, but with another perk they can last for about a minute. You can also find skill books which increase your skills permanently, but only by 3 points or 4 with the Comprehension perk.

Jun 11, 2004
im still havin trouble learning how this game plays.. so there are there are points you can get temporarily? how long do they last? what ups your points temporarily?

im still at primm doing a quest but i keep dying

i havent stashed anything yet.. i havent found anywhere permanent to store stuff.. not in some ratty ass cabinet or stove..

shit is kinda complicating but i kno ill love it once i get all this down.. like all the abbreviations n shit, they dont really explain much you kinda gotta read thru the 'help' on ur own
the 7 characteristics (strength, agility, intelligence, etc.) determine which skills are high. If you have a high charisma, then your speech and barter will be high. i think its for every point a characteristic is raised it raises the skill by 15.

so if you take a mentat that temporarily raises your intelligence by one, you are actually gaining 15 points to your science, energy weapons, and what ever other one intelligence controls. this can be useful when trying to hack a computer that is above your natural level

when you take aid items they will work until they eventually wear off. A little message will tell you when something wears off. drugs and chemicals last different lengths of time depending on what they are. but if you take something a few times, you can get addicted and dependent on it until you find a doctor who can heal your addiction. being addicted sucks cause you will literally have blurred vision and headringing and shit lol

and yea you can only carry a limited amount of shit (based on your strength skill) before becoming overburdened, at which point you will not be able to fast travel or run.

if you keep doing quests for a particular faction, you will eventually get a place to stay. I have three safehouses, but there are more I didnt get cause i didnt work for those factions or killed em off. If you want a place to stay, head to the tower in the strip, or grab a hotel room or an abandoned house..

Feb 15, 2006
Is it normal to be dying so much so early in the game? I only have a 9mm 10mm variant rifle and shotgun.. all need repair but I don't have the skills to repair.. should I take the time n get my shit up? ... and why does it not explain the point system n skills.. I need tips!!

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
i think i only died maybe once or twice..i usually reload a save i made right before i trek into the unknown.

VATS man..it makes the game so much easier. use it wisely

Jun 11, 2004
What kind of enemies r u fighting? Stick to the roads when exploring for now. Theres a lot of enemies that will kill u if u wander off to early in the game.

Also, if u are havin a hard time doin a quest or exploring something, do something else and come back to it later. there's so much shit to do in this game, just talk to people.

u can also change the difficulty from the options menu (I think, u could in fallout 3)

Use vats. Trying to shoot enemies fps style should only be done if u are sniping or are out of vats.

And ya, basically New Vegas is meant for people who've played fallout 3 and learned that game. There's a lot to learn and new Vegas doesn't really teach u shit. But its fun as fuck

Jun 11, 2004
What kind of enemies r u fighting? Stick to the roads when exploring for now. Theres a lot of enemies that will kill u if u wander off to early in the game.

Also, if u are havin a hard time doin a quest or exploring something, do something else and come back to it later. there's so much shit to do in this game, just talk to people.

u can also change the difficulty from the options menu (I think, u could in fallout 3)

Use vats. Trying to shoot enemies fps style should only be done if u are sniping or are out of vats.

And ya, basically New Vegas is meant for people who've played fallout 3 and learned that game. There's a lot to learn and new Vegas doesn't really teach u shit. But its fun as fuck

R

Sicc OG
Dec 7, 2005
early on in the game don't go past that graveyard on the top of the hill cos the big wasps will fuck you up easy