Exported reason song in soundforge muffled

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
I don't know if anyone else has any experience with this, but when I play the song in reason, it sounds loud, heavy and clear. However, when I export the sound to wave and open it in soundforge for post editing, it sounds lifeless. Does this mean it'll sound like this in other players as well?
I tried opening it in recycle, and it sounded like as if i opened it in reason, loud.

As a result, it's difficult to know how the song really sounds and I don't want to apply needless volume augmentation.

Hmm, anyone know what's going on?

here's the song just in case anyone wants to let me know if it's muffled on their end too.

Thanks

http://soundcloud.com/hellatropicana/lauras-dance-song

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I'm assuming your session is 24 bit. In reason, bounce/render the song to 16 and 24 bit. Take the 24 bit version, import the wav to soundforge and bounce/render it to 16 bit. Leave ALL fx off. Do not dither, let the audio truncate and do NOT convert to MP3. Post both versions on megaupload, not soundclick.

ETA: Then post the link here.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
Thanks, before I do that, can you explain what "let the audio truncate" refers to?

I've never heard that before.

Oh, it's not soundclick haha. Theres a new thing called soundcloud, it's cool as it allows you to directly share songs on facebook and other social networking mediums. Regardless, it doesn't shine better than soundclick in the audio dept.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Thanks, before I do that, can you explain what "let the audio truncate" refers to?

I've never heard that before.

Oh, it's not soundclick haha. Theres a new thing called soundcloud, it's cool as it allows you to directly share songs on facebook and other social networking mediums. Regardless, it doesn't shine better than soundclick in the audio dept.
The following link will explain truncating. It's very easy to grasp.

http://www.digitalprosound.com/Htm/Articles/April/Trunc_vs_Dither.htm

And yeah I thought it was soundclick man, my bad.

Also, have you tried loading the tracks up in the same program and playing them back at the same time?

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
yeah, if you mean using the exported wav song as a sample within reason. I think i'm going to check if reason inherently exaggerates it's audio; i'll try opening up a random bands song in reason and soundforge to see if theres a difference.

Also, so truncating just means letting whatever happens happen? Dithering just adds in some extra data to prevent the loss of those 8 bits when you do actually truncate, right?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
yeah, if you mean using the exported wav song as a sample within reason. I think i'm going to check if reason inherently exaggerates it's audio; i'll try opening up a random bands song in reason and soundforge to see if theres a difference.
I don't use Reason so I'm not familiar with how it treats sounds/files that are imported and exported. What you need to do is what I previously suggested in the first post. Then load it up in something that allows multiple file playback and see how the audio behaves. Zoom in as close as possible to see if the waveforms look different and use your ears to check if the audio sounds different.

Also, so truncating just means letting whatever happens happen? Dithering just adds in some extra data to prevent the loss of those 8 bits when you do actually truncate, right?
Yes, you get the idea. Even when you dither the file is still going to truncate because you're going from one resolution to the other. However, dithering is adding the extra data (noise) but it's for the better. I was typing in haste, but I should have just told you to don't dither, but hey you learned something new so it's all to the good.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
thanks for the help. It's good to learn new things every once in a while, ha. It turned out that reason is just louder for some reason. Any audio file loaded into reason is way louder than it should be. At least in my case.

The song translated well across different systems, I just need to make sure not to over emphasize the lower frequencies.