European Market $$$

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
Should'nt underground artists do anything it takes to get in the European market?I see members of this board from time to time from Europe who can't get there hands on c.d.'s.I myself am not a CEO of a music lable,and am not an artist.If I were,my main goal outside of my own city,would be to hit European cities up the hardest with promotions and c.d.'s.They seem to eat up the whole backpak type music,and I'm sure all the gangster/playa/hustler shit would be eaten up around there if promotions were done correctly,and you fed them some urban-street lifestyle,and they seem to have somewhat of a fasination with the westcoast lifestyle.
I would fly there,and hit the city'z so hard with promo,and do my best to prepare a mini tour,but all these lables seem to focus on the U.S.,and it's flooded market that drowns out each and everyone.
Just a thought.I would like to hear from some lables and artists.:angry:

Apr 25, 2002
yep. Personally I think you gotta get the homecrowd first. Not enough people in the bay support underground rap artists, you gotta get them first.

May 12, 2002
dope.st
BAMMER said:
Should'nt underground artists do anything it takes to get in the European market?I see members of this board from time to time from Europe who can't get there hands on c.d.'s.
You definately on point with this suggestion. It kills me to see that you can be some unheard of cat from New York, with pretty average skills, and you only have to show Europe some love (maybe with an interview, a bit of promotion, or just make sure your stuff gets out here) and straight away enough people will be picking it up.

Every time I read some shit over here from an emcee they always comment that they feel its coo over here cos they just gotta show some love and it gets reciprocated with people picking up their stuff. That goes for everyone from KRS-1 to some kid making a name for himself from the underground. They only got to put Europe in the equation and they get a market in return.

Thats kind of how it is out here, its not just about backpackers, but in general people who are into they hip hop or whateva music like digging deep and swooping different things.

And its not hard either - big music stores here nowadays will line up some fairly un-heard of debut shit alongside the big pop-rap releases in their recommendations, the trouble is that its always the same kind of thing - some underground act that has put the vibe out to appeal to backpackers and hip hop junkies. These people don't have big budgets and for me some of this stuff is plain boring, but they putting their name out there and picking up a second market in Europe in return.

Whats f*ked up is that if the Bay had any kind of exposure here people would be picking that up for sure on the same tip. People hear CD's which I bring over and straightaway they're trippin on where they can pick this stuff up.

Give someone San Quinn, Young Droop, E-40, Tech N9ne, Keak Da Sneak, or any of the countless emcees who can spit and have their own style, and people really think they missing out on a whole heap of stuff. They just haven't been told about any of these people or been given any exposure to them before.

I'm not in the business, but I guess that comes down to distribution and just plain networking with deejays and media peeps over here. When you consider there are probably acts who aren't selling shit in the US, but are picking up decent support here, it must be because they have taken the trouble to get known over here. It's just an extension of when 40 water had the business savvy to go state to state putting out his tapes.

Right now a legend like 40 is made and doesn't need to waste time trying to pick up extra fans in Europe - he already has some - but I agree that any up and coming cats could tap a whole market by just extending their marketing and hustle to cover Europe too.

Someone with skills and originality and a unique vibe could swoop a whole new fanbase no problems.

they seem to have somewhat of a fasination with the westcoast lifestyle.
This bit is weird. I kinda know what you mean, it ain't an adulation kind of thing, but it is exactly the sort of thing which Bay artists could capitalise on. I think the reason is that 99% of Westcoast acts get 0% of exposure here. Dre / Snoop / Kurupt etc is the only Cali acts who actually get exposure here, plus cats like the Liks, Dilated Peoples and a bunch of underground emcees. Compare that to NY where every new act will get a mention on the hip hop radio shows or in the magazines here.

Its a crazy imbalance, and definately I think Europe is waiting for the chance to tap the whole Bay scene when they finally find out about it or can actually pick up one or two of the CD's here. When folks here are picking up CD's from 100's of different NY emcees, you got to believe somewhere somehow there is business and market waiting for west coast rappers to put their product out.

I would fly there,and hit the city'z so hard with promo,and do my best to prepare a mini tour
Flying over might be a last resort on costs. But definately get promos to the top deejay radio shows over here and the magazines. That is the cost of a few mails and product overseas, then let the exposure, word of mouth and also unity and communication of European heads do the rest. If you can get a small number of CD's properly distributed here too, it should pick up from there.

As for flying over - its interesting to see that we have some little-known underground acts coming over here and doing the most small-time shows and appearances in clubs, they probably making little money but suddenly they got love - and their name known - to a whole new bunch of people who are hungry for different stuff to swoop.

Marketing and exposure. I guess the independence of the Bay area and the labels means the powerful distribution isnt there, but I definately believe that some of the flame spitters in the Bay could blow the f*** up if they could just get their name and sound known over here.

Believe me, the hip hop magazines here - they could tell you the foot size of a thousand emcees and list off their whole discography, but they wouldn't know shit about the Bay. They've never heard of the Bay / Sacramento and anything from it.

Someone needs to get their shit over here and wake these people up. In the last year there was just one mention of the Bay in the main UK hip hop magazine. It was the Click album and it was the most misinformed b.s. you've seen. This fool reviewing it tried to act like he knew, but came off as an idiot listing Celly Cel as E-40's partner in making up 'The Click' and a bunch of other nonsense.

Thats all the Bay gets and yet the backpack scene gets page after page for all these obscure acts who don't have a big fanbase... but actually made sure they were known over here.

If the Bay labels could do the same..... one or two people going to blow up.

Apr 25, 2002
www.checkmatemuzik.com
Bammer & The Whole Dam. Holla at me if you got AIM. My screename is "PromotionCM" on that. I had couple of questions about music stores over there. We are pretty open to putting our records internationally. If you gota direct email addy, let me know please.

May 9, 2002
Europe has a HUGE Market for all that Back Pack Music

and the European consumers would most definitely buy all the Catchy/slumpin Playa G-Funk Type Shit If they only knew of it

with the Exception of France maybe because they have so many Local Heroes and Individual Styles that they no Longer really need to look at another Country for Inspiration

Plus Most of the European Listeners dont know too much about the Underground-Bay Shit and the Language so they couldnt tell if a Rapper is just Doing The ''Same Ol Same Ol'' and using Sampled Beats as Long as it Bangs in the Car or the Club

There's definitely alot to be conquered for the Bay

May 2, 2002
www.money-tree.tv
TheWholeDamn - I know what you are talking about. When we visited Amsterdam for the Cup we brang along our Comp. that we have out. When we hit up some of the local stores out there, they swooped them up quickly. We sold so many cd's out there. I know what you mean as far as promotion and magazines. Hit me on the e-mail at [email protected] so I can get some information from you. Maybe you can point me in the right direction. Holla!!!!!!

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
promotionCM said:
Bammer & The Whole Dam. Holla at me if you got AIM. My screename is "PromotionCM" on that. I had couple of questions about music stores over there. We are pretty open to putting our records internationally. If you gota direct email addy, let me know please.
Sorry fam,I'm from Seattle :classic:

@The Whole Damn,I might of exagerated by saying Europeans are "fasinated"."intrigued" would be more appropriate.

**Believe me, the hip hop magazines here - they could tell you the foot size of a thousand emcees and list off their whole discography, but they wouldn't know shit about the Bay. They've never heard of the Bay / Sacramento and anything from it. **

I kinda figured ^ ^,people need to try new schemes and take chances over there.The U.S. is flooded

May 4, 2002
I agree with about everything y'all said...

but..
1.people dont know the bay rap history ya kow?
they dont know shit..so they wouldnt really understand the lifestyle ,the music ...just by the new albums they'd have in the stores..think about it..

2.people cant really relate to that bay area music..I mean we aint got the same lifestyle..anyway they dont understand the lyrics..

but y'all had some good ideas..

bay area rap is very distributed in 1 french city though ,Lyon ,you dont have no problems there founding any bay area rap classic OG for cheap..and I mean cellski ,cold world hustlers and shit like that...
bay area has to be distributed in europe thats right cause theres a market but im gonna tell you 1 thing..

france has a lotta rappers ,most of em are weak as fuck ,dont know how to flow ,and have fake american beats..do you really think if people in france dont even understand what is tight in french ,they would do in american ,another language ,music and lifestyle?
hell no.

thats the main problem IMO..

remember that people bump eve or timbaland 24/7..not even undrground east coast rap thats bullshit..only a few people bump east coast underground..but the difference with bay rap is thats it's distributed..
coremga's albums are distributed for example..I really sont think it sells more than 3,000 units in the whole country..
if you wanna sell here ,you gotta have radios on lock ,even underground radios (create some!!)..

aint no underground or just rap mentality over here..