Eazy E Remembered: Bone Thugs & Harmony

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 11, 2002
Eazy E Remembered: Bone Thugs & Harmony
By Paine

Few people ever discuss the Eazy E after NWA. While Eazy continued to top the charts, he was dwarfed in the media by records like Doggystyle and It Takes a Thief. MC Ren and Yella remained at Eazy’s side as he looked for his next vehicle of striking back. The answer to that question became one of the highest selling, most talented groups in Hip-Hop history - Bone Thugs & Harmony.

The very reason why Bone reached the mainstream consciousness is by way of “The Crossroads,” a song largely dedicated to Eazy E. Even before that, Creepin’ on ah Come Up, a 1994 EP, affirmed Bone’s arrival and Eazy’s perseverance. Relive some of those glory moments, along with the great tragedy soon after, as AllHipHop.com discussed Eazy E with Krayzie and Layzie Bone.

On tour for the recent Bone Brothers album, the two recall a different side of Eazy that challenges so many things said about the icon. While we’ll never see NWA in its real capacity together again, along with Above The Law and a few others, Bone Thugs & Harmony carry Eazy E’s torch. Enjoy our final part of the Eazy E Remembered series.

AllHipHop.com: Do you, personally, do anything special to remember Eazy?

Krayzie Bone: It’s been years man. It ain’t like just because it’s ten years - we remember it every year. He played a major part in our lives to where we are now. If it wasn’t for him, we wouldn’t be where we are. We mention his names on our songs, we try to give a lot back to him.

AllHipHop.com: Bizzy told me not too long ago, and he said this respectfully, “So if anything, [Eazy] gave me a bottle of liquor and a bag of weed if you wanna keep it all the way real.” Do you cosign that statement?

Layzie Bone: I don’t really agree with that at all. He didn’t put a blunt and a bottle in my mind. I put a blunt and a bottle in my mind, by choice. He gave us an opportunity. I was smokin’ blunts and drinkin’ before I was with Eazy. Bizzy is a complex character. I can’t cosign that. By watching [Eazy] be a CEO by day, and go to the studio by night, it let me know exactly what I wanted to do with my career.

AllHipHop.com: We all know the story of Eazy signing you in Cleveland. But at the time, what specifically brought him out?

KB: He just had a show. We had gone out to California, tryin’ to get on. It just so happened that somebody in Cleveland that used to work for him, called us, and gave us the number to Ruthless Records. We was puttin’ a couple calls - s**t, we put in a lot of calls. One day he called us back. I rapped to him on the phone. He started passin’ the phone around to everybody in the office like, “Listen to these n***as!” He said he to go, but he had to call us back. He called us back and said he had a show in our hometown of Cleveland. We didn’t tell him, but after he called us back in those two hours he said he was gonna call us back, we was like, “Man, we gotta get back to Cleveland.” So we hustled up money to get back on the Greyhound just to open the show. Because the person who gave us the number, they were the ones promoting the show in Cleveland.

AllHipHop.com: Was anybody with Eazy in Cleveland.

KB: DJ Yella was with him. So, when we got back to LA, [Eazy] started takin’ us to different studios to meet different producers. Finally, we really found it with DJ U-Neek. There were a lot of different producers, like [former Tupac producer] Rhythm D.

AllHipHop.com: What’s U-Neek up to these days?

KB: He’s actually doing tracks for this next Bone album.

AllHipHop.com: Was Eazy the first person you guys tried to sign with, or the first to say yes?

KB: We didn’t really run into many people out there. We was out there two or three weeks. Somebody had gave us Tone-Loc’s address. We walked to Tone-Loc’s house, knocked on the door and everything. They came outside, we rapped for him, he didn’t seem like he was all that interested. Tone Loc’s manager stayed there and listened, he was interested. But that never worked out. Eazy was like the next person we [saw].

AllHipHop.com: You said Yella was with Eazy. It’s interesting to hear that, being that NWA had dissolved a few years before. Before he got back up there with Bone Thugs & Harmony, how was he in that transition stage?

LB: Bottom line man, when we first signed with Eazy E, it was obvious that he was depressed. He was kinda quiet. You could tell he wasn’t happy, he was hungry to get back to where he was used to bein’. A week after we been with him, he was one of us then. So E, in his last days, he was happy as a mothaf**ka. He was callin’ himself E Bone, he had some young dudes with him that was down for whatever. He was real enthusiastic about getting back in the game. Up until he got sick, he was havin’ a ball with it. He knew he had something in his arsenal that he could fire back on them other guys with. He knew his s**t wasn’t over with, when everybody else did.

KB: Basically, what we saw in that period of time, trying to build his label back up, he was under a lot of stress. People at his company wasn’t doing what they was supposed to be doing, and hurt him in a major way. I think the whole NWA thing is what all groups go through. Just like I’m in Bone, if I owned the label that Bone was signed to, and I was also a solo artist, and I was makin’ all that money - eventually, everybody else is gonna want to be on the level that I’m on. Eazy E, he was a cool dude. I remember a time when he was going through those problems, and he had left us in hotels, and we wouldn’t see him for weeks at a time. We had no money. We couldn’t get in touch with him. I remember one time, we had a meeting with him, “Man look, we don’t know what’s going on with you. But we got nothing. If it’s gonna be like this, we can go back to Cleveland. Let us go home.” That’s when he pulled out a piece of paper. He showed us how he was being extorted. Money was being stolen from the label. He was getting to fire a whole lot of people. Jerry Heller was one of ‘em. He told us, “I need y’all to ride with me. If Ruthless is fittin’ to blow back up, I need y’all to be down.” When he told us what he was going through, that’s all he had to say. We ridin’ with you.

May 11, 2002
Continued...........

AllHipHop.com: After Eazy died, did you see the sense of duty and pride shift quickly at the label?

KB: Oh yeah, man. After he died, people didn’t take care of the business. There’s no way that after he died, his label should’ve went down like that.

AllHipHop.com: What was one business practice that you really try to model after, that Eazy demonstrated?

LB: Eazy sat at his desk and read the contracts. He read it all day. I used to wonder, we wanted to listen to the music with him, but he had other things to do. That really stuck with me. He’d give me certain things to read as far as itineraries, that really motivated me. I remember one specific time, he showed me a check, a 85,000 dollar check for Ice Cube. We was riding in his Benz. He was like, “N***as talkin’ ‘bout I’m f**kin’ ‘em, when I got a check for Cube right here for some old s**t. These n***as over here. They just mad at me, ‘cause I make more money, more ways.” He was just ahead of his game.

AllHipHop.com: Krayzie, you compared NWA to Bone. Was there anything you learned from Eazy that you’ve applied to your group, especially since you seem to be coming full-circle this year?

KB: Definitely. He used to sit up and watch us. When we first went to LA, we was all real crazy. We all lived together because we were [once] homeless together. He was real impressed with us. “Y’all mothaf**kas do not leave each other’s sight. One mothaf**ka gets up to go to the bathroom, the rest of y’all go. That’s how s**t is supposed to be. If me and NWA was like that, we’d still be together right now.”

AllHipHop.com: You worked with Tupac, Biggie, and Eazy. In your eyes, was is his legacy shadowed by the other two?

LB: At that time, in the middle of the 90's, everybody was just getting comfortable hearing about HIV and hearing about AIDs and all that, and I think America closed they eyes because I don’t think anybody wanted to admit a disease that serious [was real]. I don’t think America was ready for to face not wearing condoms.

AllHipHop.com: But it’s 2005 now. Nothing seems all that different in Eazy’s legacy, regardless of America’s growth.

LB: I feel you, man. He don’t get his recognition. S**t, he was the first rappin’ CEO. I’m upset myself that people don’t be giving Eazy E his props. Before The Game, there wasn’t nobody but Bone, really.

AllHipHop.com: Layzie, you told me before, you’ve got questions about Eazy’s death.

LB: If you really think about it, I used to tell [Eazy’s wife] all the time, to really look into the situation - hire some private detectives to really look at it. She was pregnant at the time. I took a liking to her. I thought she was next. Her husband went from asthma in December to March being fully blown diagnosed with AIDs, and then dead. That s**t crazy. Nobody [in the family] has that disease.

AllHipHop.com: Lil’ Eazy E told me he too, has doubts.

LB: Dog, let me tell you something. I don’t doubt it. I was 20 when Eazy E died. I figured this s**t out in two months [after]. Coming from Cleveland, Ohio and hangin’ with Eazy muthaf**kin’ E, we wrestlin’ with this dude. We little n***as from the street. We seeing how strong he is because he a lil’ midget to us. We was physical. This dude was healthy and strong! I’m talkin’ ‘bout stronger than a mothaf**ka! I was really getting close to dude. I remember the day Jerry Heller got fired. He pulled me and Krayzie into his office and kept sayin’, “I managed Pink Floyd, I managed Pink Floyd. I just wanted to do it one more time.” E didn’t just throw him out either. He gave him some time to finish. I remember [that time], Jerry would walk around the office with his hands behind his back, head down, like a puppy dog with his tail between his legs. That’s right around the time we went to New York City. I got sick, Wish got sick, and Eazy E got sick. We left 70 degree weather in California, and went to New York, without coats. Eazy E bought us leather coats - that was my first leather coat, I’ll never forget it. They had went out and E had met Ice Cube at The Tunnel that night. I was the sickest. I [couldn’t] go. Krayzie, Bizzy, and Wish got to meet Ice Cube that night. I was salty. When we got back, E went to the doctor. That’s how s**t started.

AllHipHop.com: So, you’re saying that maybe somebody got him with a needle?

LB: I’m saying. Maybe all he had was a common cold. And whoever he seen, whoever that doctor was, put that s**t in his veins. That’s what I believe. This mothaf**ka built like a tank, for real. He had no signs of fatigue until after he came back from New York and went to that doctor. That’s my philosophy. Nobody talks about this s**t. Come on, man!

Bone Thugs & Harmony is currently working on the first entire group album in three years. DJ U-Neek and Swizz Beats are reportedly producing tracks.

taken from www.allhiphop.com

AOD

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
Yeah that's a good article. Ecspecially where it says E was still payin Cube for all that shit he did lol. . .