EAST COAST HEAT....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
I was inspired by the Mobb Deep thread below this to make a new thread about east coast music. Im kinda like eMDe was with Mobb Deep...but with east coast music period. I never listened to any east coast shit, just completely disregarded it without giving it a chance. But once I actually started listening to it (which was just a matter of months ago), Ive started to recognize a lot of talent I never really noticed before. Nas, who I always new was skilled but I never like his music, is one of my favorite rappers now. Im really diggin Jay-Z's liks (still think he's a faggot though), and of I love Big L's shit. So now Im hungry for more...I plan on peepin Mobb Deep as soon as I can. Im lookin for shit with dope LYRICS as well as good production (I think 94-95 east coast production is filthy).

So far, Ive got myself into Jay Z, Nas, Big L, Styles, and Jadakiss. And Ive been diggin Biggie, Kool G Rap, Rakim, and Big Daddy Kane for a while of course. Anyone have any recommendations for dope east coast shit I should check out (besides Heltah Skeltah, couldnt really get into them for some reason)?

Aug 16, 2002
checc out these if you are lookin for dope lyrics and production!
Noreaga- NORE
gangstarr- Full Clip
Buccshot- the BDI thug
Lox- we are the streets
Shyne
Infamous Mobb- this is mobb deeps group if you are feelin mobb deep you should like these cats!

other than that I knocc all wu-tang, blaccstar, cormega, AZ, Berretta 9 & that Jersey Mob!

GOTTI

I

iD77

Cormega (either lp)
G Unit (mixtapes)
Showbiz & AG (full scale ep)
M.O.P. (warriors lp)
Group Home (livin Proof lp)

Jun 26, 2002
www.facebook.com
-TiM C- said:
yea, the east coast is hard as fuck.

ummmm, not really.......

I like tha Hype style MOP brings 2 tha table......
And I like Cormega's refelctive shit, Masta Ace's shit is coo too.......Mobb Deep & Nas can be decent on some tracks, but dats about it.......

Nov 4, 2002
i cant believe this guy is always left out

I COULD HONESTLY SAY HE'S THE TITEST PRODUCER/RAPPER out of the east coast semi-underground the one and only

EL-P

i guess niggas just dont like him that much coz he's white, but hey eminem gets play, so i bet in a few this EL-P foolio is gonna be on top of his game doin thangs, unless he stays indie...

FastLane/S::G

overly international
Sep 17, 2002
ATL SHAWTY
www.siccness.net
i barely fuck with any east coast shit that came out in the past few years

but here's my list
Gang Starr "Moment Of Truth"
OC "Word Life"
OC "Jewels"
Jay-Z "Reasonable Doubt"
MOP "Firing Squad"
MOP "Handle Ur Bizness"
MOP "FIrst Family 4 Life"
MOP "Warriors"
Jay-Z "In My Lifetime Volume I"
A Tribe Called Quest "Midnight Marauders"
Mobb Deep "The infamous"
Black Star "Mos Def And Talib Kweli Are..."
Big Noyd "Episodes OF A Hustla"
Camp Lo "Uptown Saturday Night"
Mos Def "Black On Both Sides"
Danja Mowf "Word Of Mowf" (Virginia)
Capone N Noreaga "The War Report"
Big L "Lifestylez Of Da Po And Dangerous"
Wu Tang Clan "36 Chambers"
Wu Tang Clan "Wu Tang Forever"
Genius/GZA "Liquid Swords"
Group Home "Livin Proof"
AZ "Doe Or Die"
The Roots "Illadelph Halflife"
Mad Skillz "From Where???" (Virginia)
Nas "Illmatic"
Nas "It Was Written"
Nas "I Am"
Nas "Stillmatic"
Notorious BIG " Ready To Die"
Notorious BIG "Life After Death"
Redman "Muddy Waters"
Mobb Deep "Murda Muzik"
The Roots "Phrenology"

...and many more...

Apr 25, 2002
yes really, lyrically 3/5 rappers are on a higher level then west coast shit, thats my opinion tho.

i love west coast beats and being that im born and raised here, i will always be more a west coast fan. but game reckognize game.

no1's fuckin with pittsburg tho, lyrically and beats.

May 12, 2002
dope.st
SOAK::GAME said:
i barely fuck with any east coast shit that came out in the past few years

OC "Word Life"
MOP "Firing Squad"
Mobb Deep "The infamous"
Big Noyd "Episodes OF A Hustla"
Camp Lo "Uptown Saturday Night"
Capone N Noreaga "The War Report"
Nas "Illmatic"
Notorious BIG " Ready To Die"
Redman "Muddy Waters"

All a that... tight tight tight. OC ripped it, damn that album hard to find now though but an all-time classic.
The East Coast fell off a while back but I'ma still f-ck with anything from the East from back in the day:

Lords of the Underground (some of the tighest rappers ever)
Real Live (maybe the most slept on album ever)
Organized Konfusion
Erick Sermon / Keith Murray / Redman
Jeru The Damaja
Da Bush Babees
Nine
Channel Live
Boot Camp / Heltah Skeltah / OGC / Smif'n'Wessun aka Coccoa Brovaz
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
and Wu-Tang cats from back in the day
I could go on...

I'd put bay CD's at the top of my list every time, but there are some classic East coast cuts out there which I would f-ck wit the whole time... Al Tariq 'Crime Pays', Big Jaz feat. Jay-Z 'Foundation', Big Daddy Kane feat. Jay-Z, ODB, Shyheim, Sauce Money - 'Show & Prove'.. etc.

You know what though - this was when these cats were hungry. The East has NONE of that no more, they all get a million dollar advance as soon as they sign a deal, there's no independence, no commercial-free production, no classic albums coming out, and trust me I'm checking - best debut I heard this year was FFSC and that is fresh up out the bay. How many people able to pick that up though?

And you know tighter sample clearance also shut down on a lot of this shit. The samples which made the classic albums back then are being used uncut by peeps like Puffy and Jay-Z to make the next club hip-pop tune. That ain't real.