e-40 is the best in the bay lyrically, followed by keak.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 1, 2006
damn, san quinn weak? like that?

i cant agree with that one there
the rock was a dope album..just to note some modern shit he did

i think i saw copium say it, that peope dont be listenin to keak to know hes spitting, i believe that to be true, and i factor that in when i place him where ive placed him as well as everything else

new yorkers used to HATE e40..tey might not admit to it now...but trust..they did...so i lview it the same way peopel are viewing keak..you get hated on when you do something ahead of its time

i think yuk is forced to live up to the luniz in a way, like he might not even be in the mood to spit hard but thats what people want and i think that wears on performance

anyway im talkin too much back to beer
im met this puerto rican cat from brooklyn who said 40 was a lyricist and put him in the same category as big pun.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
UMM NO BODY PROLLY METION CASUAL IN THIS THREAD

interesting

thats up to the thousands of other people watching to believe and not me or you

im coming at this on a different angle then mentioning any good rapper

i mean yeah, i coulda named gift of gab and lyrics born and z-man and casual or del, eligh or PSC or even half of the anticon people that moved to the bay to steal yall culture, but thats another thread and another title because if we went there, this thread would have failed and the point would have went over peoples heads the first page

so for the sake of argumentation i guess we have to stick to people whom exist in everyone elses minds as well

i wonder how many people in here even heard fear itself much less any other casual album

back on topic 40 is a legend and keak is so dope style wise hes seperated from everyone in the bay..and i dont like everything keak does so dont get it twisted, hes just on his own island

and too short is sick but theres people who have emulated his style and made it better...like hus

and if you dont believe me, go listen to some hus right now then listen to some too short

youll see the influence..and i think lyrically hus>too short thats not taking away from short...or him making great songs..but he wasnt the best lyricist. and thats all im sayin it has nothin to do with whos a more legendary rapper or who has more classic songs.

alot of people rapped like too short back in the day, that was just the common way a b boy rapped, i dunno how many of yall rapped in the 80s or were around rap but your style followed a certain timing, thats just how you rocked

i cant really give too short lyricism points for keeping his style on some simplistic oldschool shit, but i can give him props for it

Oct 25, 2007
www.antilabs.net
me personally i don't even really give a fuck about lyrics by themselves anymore. as long as lyricism are decent i fuck w/content. content is the most important shit, it's not what you're saying anymore it's how you say it. everything's been said so it's on artists to communicate the same themes as everyone else is, just differently.

think about it though. most rappers rap about:
breaking bitches
selling drugs
fucking people up or killing people
how hood they people is

the ones who stand out are the people who can phrase it so differently and deliver the lines in a big way that sets them apart. they also gotta have that legitimacy of their image for someone to fuck with them. that's like the total package and that's why regionally HD, roach gigz, a-wax, and nationally, gucci mane, waka flocka, tyler the creator, earl sweatshirt are all getting it in right now.

the regional ones i mentioned, while i fuck w/them and listen to they projects all day just don't have it on speed dial. they can't just go in the studio and lay down big music every single time they get in the booth. maybe they lack other components image wise or branding wise.

the only reason i mentioned any of this shit is because a lot of what ya'll are debating is subjective as fuck, and i get the feeling a lot of you are speaking on your personal affinity for a given artist that is affected by things OTHER than their lyricism. you think they hella coo and listen to them all the time, and at the same time they lyrics DECENT so when this question pop up they're your go to. but they're not the best in the bay lyrically.

Mar 26, 2010
most of you be talking out your asses e40 this keak that - the best lyrically in the bay will allways be HITMAN from rbl posse i dont care how long he been gone no one was fuckin with him when he was alive and no one alive now is fuckin with his old shit he was the best u can pick any of his verses he is the best ,when black c ever drops his last shit that will be the best bay area album to drop . im not sayen i caused he my fav rapper im sayen it cause i know rap music ask your fav rapper if he say he better then hitman was he lieing !!

the real bay area lyrically rappers
double d from fillmoe
king freako
mr cee
mac dre

no one was fuckin with freako he gave it his all on every song he was here for

mr cee no one will ever put a verse together the way he did i dont give a fuck who still alive

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BJ0N5fsoFUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
me personally i don't even really give a fuck about lyrics by themselves anymore. as long as lyricism are decent i fuck w/content. content is the most important shit, it's not what you're saying anymore it's how you say it.
You said you fuck with content but don't care "what you say", that IS content by definition. :ermm: I think you mean delivery, cadence and presentation etc.

Oct 25, 2007
www.antilabs.net
it's not what you're saying because everything has been said before. it's how you say it and communicate it in your own way because that's really the only thing an artist can use to make a statement or piece of content theirs.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
IMO that is still "what" you say man, personally I think you are referring to presentation but its all good if we have different definitions. I think saying the "usual" story most street cats tell in a unique way is presentation personally but I get what you are driving at.

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
JT The bigga figga and the Gamblaz both were pretty decent lyricists in their own right, as well as Celly Cel. Cel might be the most underrated lyricist in the bay.

Spice 1 is above Keak to me in terms of creativity and lyricism. There's only 1 spice 1. He also did more to promote bay area music than Keak.

Oct 25, 2007
www.antilabs.net
IMO that is still "what" you say man, personally I think you are referring to presentation but its all good if we have different definitions. I think saying the "usual" story most street cats tell in a unique way is presentation personally but I get what you are driving at.
Either way, that was actually the least relevant aspect of the opinion I posed on the in my OP.

Mar 24, 2004
My style my flow is original as hell
Cuz who is who in this industry, I just can't tell
Everybody sound like Nas, Jay-Z or Jadakiss
Nelly or Ja Rule nigga I hate this shit
I come wit that shit you never heard befo'
And everybody say "fa sheezy" but where my credit though

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
i think yeah keak slowed it up lyrically and even in his style has declined since his early albums/'3x krazy but hes himself when it comes to rapping. i think the same way about e40. both of them are 'hate it or love it' types...the fact they both stuck to being themselves i (at the time) placed them as my favorites.

after all that was the reason i listened to shit out the bay area, it was the fact that it was a melting pot of different races, genres, and styles..it wasnt like one thing was better than another.

i know alot of people that hate both e40 and keak and at different points of my life they both became soundtracks to whatever the fuck i was doing at the time..i think in a few years people may look at stalin or jacka like that.