e-40 is the best in the bay lyrically, followed by keak.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 4, 2006
the only thing i hated about 40 was that hyphy shit he jumped and his rival mac dre coined the style. but at the same time i think 40 did that out of respect for dre every one knows 40 is dope. he didt have to make that move but by that the bay got alot of pub and thats why he put keak on the track to give him pub and it worked. its a treat when players meet

how old are you? I don't see E-40 promoting thizz shit and so on...

E-40 does E-40 all day long, all he did was open a door for the hyphy movement that didn't go nowhere to begin with.......

Rossibreath

triple og from the sbp
Sep 1, 2005
Menasha
heres one... "straight ouuta oakland california where were sparkin on ya/ givin shout outs to my niggas in the darkest corners"

even on all eyes on me, rappin 4-tay says "we be those same 2 brothers representin the bay"
dude yer like 12 dont talk 2 me u hav a cartoon in yer sig. i was alive & listening when these cds came out & pac never repped the bay. i actually hate u now. so pac repped the bay cuz 4tay said that. yer a geek. i bought pacs cds when he was an east coast rapper & yer dad prolly didnt even hav pubes yet. dont try 2 lace me ever again. go watch power rangers.

Feb 21, 2003
5 muthafuckin pages and i cant belive NOT ONE of you fucks even bothered to mention WOODIE..RIP..

and thats not even speakin on any norte type shit..if u look at his raps objectively, that guy had top-5-in-the-bay delivery, and his beats were on point..

other than him, i would include cougnut (rip), mac dre (rip), e40 (back when he was on that "element of surprise" mob shit), and yukmouth in that category..

lil los gets an honorable mention too, its a fuckin shame hes not rappin anymore..dude could be a factor in the rap game if he wanted to..

Feb 15, 2008
Yall have to understand 40 has been rappin for 20 years. Do you know that 40 is older then rakim,ll cool j, run dmc,ice cube, and a few other legends. But 40 stays current and can still out spit these youngstas.

How is it when every bay rapper in the 90s had major deals he has been able to stay on all this time. I sometimes think since a majority of us live in the bay and see 40 as a local rapper most people dont truly understand that he is a Hip hop legend and is a world wide supperstar who is respected by all the other big time artist in the industry. I have seen him with my own eyes sign autographs in Japan and rock Madison Square Garden in New York City. Come on now theres people from the east coast who never performed in Madison Square Garden before.

After all these years his pen should have ran out of ink with all the albums he has done. Not to mention all the guest features. If Gueniss book of world records were to do the most guest apperances by a rapper it would have to be 40. Just in the last few days he has knocked out 7 verses for other peoples albums from the less famous to the famous artist.

Feb 14, 2004
to me, e-40 isn't the best lyrcist and as far as keak goes, i can't understand a word he says. i'd rather vote san quinn or messy marv as better lyrcist then them two.

Mar 24, 2004
the shit 40 did in the past makes him the best 2day even if he aint doin the same type of shit!!! keak spits and i guess a lot of people dont really listen to wat hes sayin 2 disagree wit that.....jacka got it to

Jan 21, 2009
40 is at the point in his career where he is just trying to stay relevant. His run at being in contention for "best lyricist" ended in the 90's. I think 40 is a BAY AREA legend, but his days of being the most relevant lyricist are far behind him. Keak has never been a lyricist. He was a good rapper with a crazy non traditional style (which happens to describe 40) and voice that HIS REGION grew to love. I would argue that Ager Man and BA were better lyricist than Keak, but Keak was more of a star than them. He had that special connection to the people that made the masses want to champion him. I think they are great examples of the power of the Bay's independence and support for their regional favorites, but not the greatest lyricist.

Feb 15, 2008
Most of the artist yall are naming have not dropped enough material. Like biggie and big pun they don't have enough music to be considered the all time great.

Imagine if 40 only dropped federal. Mailman,in a major way,and hall of game then there would be no questions asked who was the best.

lenbiasyayo

Rest In Peace
Jun 24, 2008
earl by far , he goes deep he got d-boy spit he got struggle he gotr pimp he got a FUCKIN SLICK TOUNGE. and he picks monsterus beats . 40 is the only rapper that every cd u cant skip a track, most bay rappers have only 2 or 3 songs worth a listen on a cd

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
damn, san quinn weak? like that?

i cant agree with that one there
the rock was a dope album..just to note some modern shit he did

i think i saw copium say it, that peope dont be listenin to keak to know hes spitting, i believe that to be true, and i factor that in when i place him where ive placed him as well as everything else

new yorkers used to HATE e40..tey might not admit to it now...but trust..they did...so i lview it the same way peopel are viewing keak..you get hated on when you do something ahead of its time

i think yuk is forced to live up to the luniz in a way, like he might not even be in the mood to spit hard but thats what people want and i think that wears on performance

anyway im talkin too much back to beer

May 15, 2003
dude yer like 12 dont talk 2 me u hav a cartoon in yer sig. i was alive & listening when these cds came out & pac never repped the bay. i actually hate u now. so pac repped the bay cuz 4tay said that. yer a geek. i bought pacs cds when he was an east coast rapper & yer dad prolly didnt even hav pubes yet. dont try 2 lace me ever again. go watch power rangers.
sorry if i hurt your feelings, didnt know you were unstable.

Jan 6, 2006
man it's either 40 water or TOO SHORT. both of them are still lyrical as hell, even when short rhymes is simple he still outshines the competition. trill talk... i duno bout 40 fallin off ppl havent listen to his lyrics on the ball street journal i see, all about the beats n hooks.... we need a new TOO SHORT album. nobody in the bay is fuckin with the legends and thats a shame, cuz this new/latest generation still need to step it up....