Dude gets traded for 10 bats :lol

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

caff

Sicc OG
May 10, 2002
Minor leaguer traded for 10 baseball bats
By CHRISTOPHER SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer May 23, 7:51 pm EDT

McALLEN, Texas (AP)—During three years in the low minors, John Odom never really made a name for himself.

That sure changed this week—he’s the guy who was traded for a bunch of bats.

“I don’t really care,” he said Friday. “It’ll make a better story if I make it to the big leagues.”

For now, Odom is headed to the Laredo Broncos of the United League. They got him Tuesday from the Calgary Vipers of the Golden Baseball League for a most unlikely price: 10 Prairie Sticks Maple Bats, double-dipped black, 34-inch, C243 style.

“They just wanted some bats, good bats—maple bats,” Broncos general manager Jose Melendez said.

According to the Prairie Sticks Web site, their maple bats retail for $69 each, discounted to $65.50 for purchases of six to 11 bats.

“It will be interesting to see what 10 bats gets us,” Melendez said.

The Canadian team signed Odom about a month ago, but couldn’t get the 26-year-old righty into the country. It seems Odom had a “minor” but unspecified criminal record that wasn’t revealed to immigration officials before they scanned his passport, Vipers president Peter Young said.

Odom said the charge stemmed from a fight he was in at age 17. Although he thought it had been expunged from his record, it popped up during immigration.

Odom spent hundreds of dollars driving to the Canadian border and staying at a Montana hotel while the matter was sorted out. He then drove to Laredo after the trade.

Originally from Atlanta, Odom was drafted late by the San Francisco Giants in 2003. He pitched 38 games, all in Class A, from 2004-06, and was released by the organization this spring.

Laredo intends to activate Odom on Monday and have him make his first start Wednesday.

Odom said he was supposed to be traded for Laredo’s best hitter. But when that player balked at moving to Calgary, the bats entered the deal.

Laredo offered cash for Odom, but Young said that was “an insult.”

The bat trade wasn’t the first time Calgary came up with some creative dealmaking. The Vipers once tried to acquire a pitcher for 1,500 blue seats when they were renovating their stadium, Young said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-tradedforbats&prov=ap&type=lgns

Jul 8, 2007
lol this shit hella reminded me off that old ass bud lite commerical where the dude from the lions gets the logo tatt'd on his arm and then gets traded to the bears, and they traded him for a six pack. hahah! i cant find that shit anywhere

Apr 25, 2002
That's funny, but I think it's a little disrespectful to announce it. They could've easily just said something like "future considerations."

If you guys think the bats are funny, consider this. The Cleveland Indians have by far the best scouting software system in all of baseball, I have seen it, it is unbelievable the way that thing displays massive amounts of very useful information so clearly and efficiently. Teams have inquired about purchasing it somehow, and what the Indians have asked for is a mid-level prospect (no stiff, probably somebody ranked between 3rd and 5th in a team's system).

Can you believe that, imagine on the bottom of ESPN a note that says "San Francisco Giants trade Tim Alderson to Cleveland for a replication of the Cleveland Indians baseball front office software."

LOL now that would be something. Player for software, straight up.

May 2, 2002
If you guys think the bats are funny, consider this. The Cleveland Indians have by far the best scouting software system in all of baseball, I have seen it, it is unbelievable the way that thing displays massive amounts of very useful information so clearly and efficiently. Teams have inquired about purchasing it somehow, and what the Indians have asked for is a mid-level prospect (no stiff, probably somebody ranked between 3rd and 5th in a team's system).

Can you believe that, imagine on the bottom of ESPN a note that says "San Francisco Giants trade Tim Alderson to Cleveland for a replication of the Cleveland Indians baseball front office software."

LOL now that would be something. Player for software, straight up.
You seem to know a lot about the game.
What kinds of information does the software present?

Speaking of technology in baseball, the D-backs have this new batting cage camera.. I think only one other team in the majors has this technology.. it allows the batter to watch their swings in super slowmo (hi def) right after each swing..

Apr 25, 2002
You seem to know a lot about the game.
What kinds of information does the software present?

Speaking of technology in baseball, the D-backs have this new batting cage camera.. I think only one other team in the majors has this technology.. it allows the batter to watch their swings in super slowmo (hi def) right after each swing..
I work in the Baseball Operations department for the Texas Rangers (and last year, the Milwaukee Brewers), so I've had a lot of exposure to things the average fan doesn't have an opportunity to see.

The D-Backs are in extremely good hands, they've got a very very sharp front office. I know you don't need somebody in the industry (if you could call me that, I'm still just an "intern") to tell you this, but what you read about and have probably concluded yourself, it's all true. I met with some of them at the winter meetings last year in Arizona for an "informational" interview, they were not offering a positon, but they left a mark. They're ahead of the game. You guys are lucky in Phoenix.

And to answer your question, the information I was referring to mostly has to do w/ a player's age, service time, contract status, contract covenants (things like no trade clauses, performance bonuses, buyouts, and anything else that comes up in the fine print of a contract. I did something similar for the Rangers, but I have to manually update it everyday (rather than auto) and it is not even close to being on the same level as the one the Indians have.

May 2, 2002
I work in the Baseball Operations department for the Texas Rangers (and last year, the Milwaukee Brewers), so I've had a lot of exposure to things the average fan doesn't have an opportunity to see.

The D-Backs are in extremely good hands, they've got a very very sharp front office. I know you don't need somebody in the industry (if you could call me that, I'm still just an "intern") to tell you this, but what you read about and have probably concluded yourself, it's all true. I met with some of them at the winter meetings last year in Arizona for an "informational" interview, they were not offering a positon, but they left a mark. They're ahead of the game. You guys are lucky in Phoenix.

And to answer your question, the information I was referring to mostly has to do w/ a player's age, service time, contract status, contract covenants (things like no trade clauses, performance bonuses, buyouts, and anything else that comes up in the fine print of a contract. I did something similar for the Rangers, but I have to manually update it everyday (rather than auto) and it is not even close to being on the same level as the one the Indians have.
that's fuckin cool, man. I'd love to have a job in the professional sports field... especially baseball. if I ever have a question about baseball now, I know who to ask.

Apr 25, 2002
that's fuckin cool, man. I'd love to have a job in the professional sports field... especially baseball. if I ever have a question about baseball now, I know who to ask.
It has its advantages (and disadvantages). The hours really suck but when it boils down to it, it's all about a game, and the competitive nature of it is fun.

But for me right now, I'm just trying to turn this into a career instead of a cool thing to do for 2 years after the playing days were over (aka get rid of the "intern" tag). I'm not quite at that point yet but getting there...