DON'T BRING HOME A WHITE BOY explores why black women just say no to interracial love

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 21, 2006

Karen Hunter PublishingDon’t Bring Home a White Boy and Other Notions that Keep Black Women from Dating Out by Germantown author Karyn Langhorne Folan hits stores tomorrow. The provocative tome examines the notions steeped in slavery and cultural mythology that keep single black women leery of interracial coupling, even in the face of overwhelming evidence and statistics that suggest that eschew it at their peril. Karen Hunter Publishing, a Simon and Schuster imprint behind the book, delivers the following enticing blurb:

In an age when America has embraced a mixed-race president and a strong, independent black woman as first lady...when black women are on the move and more empowered than ever before...there remains one hot-button topic that stirs up cultural resistance and intensity of emotion like no other: interracial relationships -- or, specifically, when black women date or marry white men. What is it about the black female/white male dynamic that sparks such controversy and depth of feeling? What keeps many single black women from exploring relationships outside of their race at a time when the pool of eligible black men is at an all-time low? "Don't bring home a white boy" is the cultural message stamped deep into every black daughter, an enduring twenty-first-century taboo with origins dating back to the Civil War era, the turbulent Civil Rights decades, and beyond. Now at last there is an honest, eye-opening examination of this societal phenomenon that will resonate with women everywhere and give voice to all sides of the debate.

Langhorne Folan, herself married to a white man, has distinguished herself as an author of such fiction as A Personal Matter, Diary of an Ugly Duckling, Unfinished Business, and Street Level. Until June of 2008, when writing an article inspired a one-eighty turn into nonfiction. Langhorne Folan penned an opinion piece called What Mildred Knew for The Washington Post. The article discussed the struggles of Mildred and Richard Loving, the interracial couple whose fight to love each other resulted in Loving versus Virginia, the landmark 1967 Supreme Court decision legalizing interracial marriage in the United States. The ensuing online comments related to the article numbered in the hundreds – some vitriolic, some supportive, some ambivalent, all thought provoking. The seeds that geminated in Langhorne Folan’s mind from this endeavor resulted in Don’t Bring Home a White Boy.

In the book, the author, a Harvard-educated lawyer, makes a case for why Black women should be more open to the possibility of love, regardless of the color of the man offering it. When asked why she decided to go the nonfiction route with this book, Langhorne Folan says that the topic of interracial love had always sparked her interest. Crafting her take on it was “a wonderful change to really look at history and sociology.”

More importantly, Langhorne Folan’s exploration is, at its heart, deeply personal. “I just wondered why there weren’t more couples that looked like Kevin (her husband) and me,” she says simply.

The cogent and persuasive arguments presented in Don’t Bring Home a White Boy are sure to have the wider audience asking itself the exact same thing.

Apr 21, 2006
Lol I've been seeing this all over the Internet today. I guess it was on CNN. The book is written by a black woman married to a white man. She saysblack women need to date out of their race.

Jan 28, 2005
I heard about this book a while back. Seems like an interesting read. I've been with more non white girls than I have white girls. I suppose I'm just more attracted to Black, Latin, Asian, Indian and Middle Eastern girls. My penis is all about equal opportunity toward fine women of any color. Together, we're trying to bond the ties

...and none of them brought me home now that I think about it. Well, at least not when their parents were around.

My penis is all about equal opportunity toward fine women of any color. Together, we're trying to strengthen ties between cultures/races/nations/religions.

By fucking.

Jan 28, 2005
I heard about this book a while back. Seems like an interesting read. I've been with more non white girls than I have white girls.

...and none of them brought me home now that I think about it. Well, at least not when their parents were around.

I suppose I'm just more attracted to Black, Latin, Asian, Indian and Middle Eastern girls. My penis is all about equal opportunity toward fine women of any color. Together, we're trying to strengthen ties between cultures/races/nations/religions.

By fucking.

Dana Dane

RIP Vallejo Kid
May 3, 2002
I heard about this book a while back. Seems like an interesting read. I've been with more non white girls than I have white girls.

I suppose I'm just more attracted to Black, Latin, Asian, Indian and Middle Eastern girls. My penis is all about equal opportunity toward fine women of any color. Together, we're trying to strengthen ties between cultures/races/nations/religions.

By fucking.

Jul 6, 2008
i dont know too many whitey dating black broads, but them whitey love them that tight asian pussu. and that asian pussu love them taht whitey status quo.

must be a small percentage of black broads dating whitey.

also, i cant see whitey dating black broads cuz they only worth $5.

Study finds median wealth for single black women at $5
Tuesday, March 09, 2010
By Tim Grant, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Women of all races bring home less income and own fewer assets, on average, than men of the same race, but for single black women the disparities are so overwhelmingly great that even in their prime working years their median wealth amounts to only $5.

Among the most startling revelations in the wealth data is that while single white women in the prime of their working years (ages 36 to 49) have a median wealth of $42,600 (still only 61 percent of their single white male counterparts), the median wealth for single black women is only $5.

"Even for those of us who have been looking at the wealth gap for a while, we were shocked and amazed at how little women of color have," Ms. Lui said.

Black women, in general, were more likely to have participated in the subprime loan crisis with upper-income black women being five times more likely to have received a high-cost mortgage than upper-income white men.

"The popular image is they spend too much, which is the reason they are running up credit card and consumer debt, but the cost of living has risen faster than income, and they need to go into debt for basic daily necessities," Ms. Lui said. "It's compounded because unemployment is twice as high in the black community than it is in the white community."

For all working-age black women 18 to 64, the financial picture is bleak. Their median household wealth is only $100. Hispanic women in that age group have a median wealth of $120.

"That means half of [black women] have a net worth of more than $100 and half have a net worth of less than $100," Ms. Lui said. "So that gives you an idea of how far in debt some women of color are."

Married or cohabitating white women have a median wealth of $167,500. Married or cohabitating black women have a median net worth of $31,500.