does art make money? (really)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 9, 2004
how can i get my art to make me some fetti? i am currently active army so going to any type of college is out of the question. even online courses would prove to be difficult. how do i network with local artists and organizations? do i need a portfolio? the only places i been able to go to are tattoo shops. there has got to be some kind of art contests...but i dont even know where to start.

Sep 9, 2004
thanks to everyone for your replies. any suggestions on starting a portfolio? what should it include? just drawings and sketches, or some personal info as well? how much is enough? i dont want to overwhelm them with a million drawings...

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
Start working with acrylic, watercolor and maybe pastels... some charcoal could work too. If you get enough of a portfolio beyond sketches together, you could commission your art for advertisements or other things, but just sketches usually don't get you very far.

EDJ

Sicc OG
May 3, 2002
www.myspace.com
SEPERATE YOUR ART IN CATEgORIES AND YOUR OWN WEBSITE AND BUSINESS CARD IS A gOOD WAY TO SHOWCASE YOUR TALENT, PLUS YOU HAVE YOUR CONTACT INFO. A WORD OF ADVICE, LOOK OUT FOR THOSE WHO TRY TO DISCOURAgE YOU(CAUSE THERE'S PLENTY OF THEM), AND WORK ON YOUR SHADOWS. BUT YOU HAVE COO' STYLE.

noWetaG

Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2002
GateWonProduct.com
obviously ure communicating through the internet
with no problem....so a website is a must.....
do a search for art contests also (i know there a few good ones)
& for the local stuff....yes, definitely get that portfolio runnin......
if u have been doing this many years........
a good idea is 2 start your portfolio with some of ur early work...
and then go 2 where u are now......the usual way people do a portfolio
(posting only their best work) is fine...this is just another angle on it.....

Rtwo

Sicc OG
Aug 3, 2005
www.r2works.net
10 strong pieces is always better then 20 good pieces. also there is always good use for drawings (t-shirts, video game companies, magazines, media, advertising) especially video game companies. That market will only continue to grow. it's also always good to learn how to transfer your drawings on a computer (pen tablet, photoshop).

Jan 30, 2005
www.myspace.com
there's money to be made homie, but like anything else, you dont hustle . . . you dont eat. it took me a couple years of grindin but it payed off, designing bought me a house & couple nice whips. i started out by doin my homies shit for free, and took it to every mufucka i could find. sooner than later cats started payin for it. i dont know how well drawing will pay, but use that same creativity on photos, layouts, & text.

Apr 7, 2005
lyagraphics.weebly.com
thirdeye253 said:
there's money to be made homie, but like anything else, you dont hustle . . . you dont eat. it took me a couple years of grindin but it payed off, designing bought me a house & couple nice whips. i started out by doin my homies shit for free, and took it to every mufucka i could find. sooner than later cats started payin for it. i dont know how well drawing will pay, but use that same creativity on photos, layouts, & text.

I could'nt of said it any better.And I started out in freehand try character design

EDJ

Sicc OG
May 3, 2002
www.myspace.com
^SOMEBODY JACCIN' YOUR SHIT AND PLAYIN' IT OFF AS THEIRS.

PRESSPLAY PROD.,

A WATERMARK IS LIKE A MARK THE COMPUTER LEAVES ON YOUR WORK, SO IT CAN BE RECOgNIZED BY OTHA COMPUTERS AND SHOWN IF PRINTED. BUT IT'S THE SAME CONCEPT AS LEAVIN N-E-THANg ELSE AS YOUR MARK, TO MAKE IT HARDER FOR OTHAS TO COPY IT. LIKE IF YOU USE ANOTHA LAYER IN YOUR PROJECT TO PUT YOUR NAME OVER THE DESIgN AND YOU LOWER THE OPACITY SO THE DESIgN CAN STILL BE SEEN.

EDJ

Sicc OG
May 3, 2002
www.myspace.com
^IN PHOTOSHOP AND ILLUSTRATOR. BUT IT AIN'T THAT HARD. I FEEL YOUR PARANOIA. BUT LOOK AT IT LIKE THIS, YOU gONNA HAVE TO PROMOTE YOUR WORK SOMEHOW, EITHA BY HAVIN' IT PRINTED SOMEWHERE OR ON YOUR SITE. PEOPLE ARE gONNA WANNA SEE SOMETHIN' SOMETIME. BUT THAT'S ON YOU PLAYA.

Y-S

Sicc OG
Dec 10, 2005
ya I know what you're saying PPP, you know you can just create pattern in photoshop and then type your name and save it, then select the whole design and fill it with the pattern you created, and lower the opacity of it and there ya go, ya dun....

Dec 29, 2005
I'm an artist. Goin to Art school right now. I was gonna be an illustration major but wanted to move to Tycoon Status. So I got into advertising where i could use my artistic abilites in that industry. Good money in it. But you gotta figure out what direction you want to take it to. But if you want work you MUST have a portfolio. Let me know what you lookin to do with your skills. And maybe i could shoot you some examples or ideas of what you need.

Sep 9, 2004
@TYCOONIN' I AM NOT SURE WHERE I WANT TO GO WITH IT. OBVIOUSLY CHEDDAR IS NEAR THE TOP OF THE LIST OR I WOULDN'T CALL MYSELF MONEY SLAVE. RIGHT NOW I AM IN THE ARMY AS AN ACTIVE ENLISTED SOLDIER SO I DONT HAVE MUCH TIME TO DO FOOTWORK. I DOUBT THERE IS MUCH MONEY IN IT, BUT FINE ART SEEMS TO BE THE DIRECTION I WOULD LIKE TO HEAD IN. I HATE HAVING SOME ASSHOLE TELLING ME I HAVE A DEADLINE. BUT ALL I KNOW HOW TO DO IS DRAW...GOING TO ONE OF FRISCOS ART SCHOOLS IS A DREAM OF MINE, THAT WOULD BE THE SHIT.

Dec 29, 2005
I be goin to the Acaedemy in SF. This my 4th year. I just gotta say that school is fucken loot like a mutha fucka... Real talk its the biggest gamble you'll take in your life cause its costs so damn much. $7000 a semester. I been goin full time for 4 years and now it looks like its gonna be 5. If you serious and willing to go through the whole program go for but you cant half stap n fuck up cause when you do you gotta start paying back your loans without a degree and that would suck hard. Try talkin to an advisor and take tours of colleges you interested in. They'll take you through the departments you interested in. Any questions jes holla