Do you challenge

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 14, 2002
Do you challenge yourself, your beliefe systems, your way of thinking?

also do you challenge what you read before you accept it as true?

I just wonder how manypeople really think about even scientific seeming data before they accept it as true.
Studies are flawed all the time. I bet if you look up most of what one article/studie says is true there is another one pointing in the exact opposite direction.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
There are many things that you don't understand or you don't know enough about to be able to accurately judge whether they're true or not

So you have to trust the experts in such cases, since they are the people who satisfy these requirements. Now, the big problem is that most people are dumb enough not to be able to distinguish the expert from the charlatan and they will take everything that sounds sciency enough as true science. In the same time they will often distrust real scientists for a variety of reasons that I will not go into

Mar 4, 2007
of course i do, i challenge it so much that i want to ditch it completely.
i want to ditch thinking completely.
i'm not on some "i want to be a hick" i just want to be still and silent as long as possible.

btw, i am very loud and i love to talk (hence being on siccness)

Apr 8, 2004
I'm a natural dissenter...when something is presented before me it automatically registers as untrue and/or questionable. Only through raising questions and my own research do I hold something to be true. I don't trust anyone, experts or not because the word that usually follows experts in more cases is "opinion"....expert opinion. Not to take away from them but even if an expert or some other knowledge person were to tell me something I'll attempt to verify or do my own research.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
I'm a natural dissenter...when something is presented before me it automatically registers as untrue and/or questionable. Only through raising questions and my own research do I hold something to be true. I don't trust anyone, experts or not because the word that usually follows experts in more cases is "opinion"....expert opinion. Not to take away from them but even if an expert or some other knowledge person were to tell me something I'll attempt to verify or do my own research.
verify this by doing your own research

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genome/guide/human/index.shtml

Jan 31, 2008
There are many things that you don't understand or you don't know enough about to be able to accurately judge whether they're true or not

So you have to trust the experts in such cases, since they are the people who satisfy these requirements. Now, the big problem is that most people are dumb enough not to be able to distinguish the expert from the charlatan and they will take everything that sounds sciency enough as true science. In the same time they will often distrust real scientists for a variety of reasons that I will not go into
AHAAAAHA
trust the 'experts' who meet some bullshit requirements?
arent requirments also just as subjective as everything else? based on priorities, standards/limits, memory and imagination?

somebody needs to add this guys quotes to fstds

May 14, 2002
nice responses.
On another note Sometimes I just wonder what it would be like to crawl inside of someone elses mind and see and hear exactly how they are thinking when and how they think it.

Apr 8, 2004
Why does everything on this board need to be repeated???

Maybe you should try to read more throughly, especially if you're going to quote me...you missed one key word...attempt...attempt to verify or do my own research. I don't think I know everything, or will I ever be able to verify everything but anything that's presented before me I'll research it.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
AHAAAAHA
trust the 'experts' who meet some bullshit requirements?
arent requirments also just as subjective as everything else? based on priorities, standards/limits, memory and imagination?

somebody needs to add this guys quotes to fstds
I set the challenge - provide a de novo generated sequence of the human genome without having the expertise

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Why does everything on this board need to be repeated???

Maybe you should try to read more throughly, especially if you're going to quote me...you missed one key word...attempt...attempt to verify or do my own research. I don't think I know everything, or will I ever be able to verify everything but anything that's presented before me I'll research it.
Well, you also miss the point I was trying to make - that a lot of things, actually most of science, will require such enormous efforts that there would be no progress if everybody tried to replicate the results of others.

That's why we have peer-review and scientists generally trust each other without any prior knowledge about the other person

Apr 8, 2004
I didn't miss your point because I wasn't addressing you to begin with. My response in regards to expert opinion in the thread was generally speaking. I never quoted you, you quoted me remember? Verfiy this: implying that I was saying that I could verify something (or all) by doing my own research when actually I never said such a thing. So how did I miss your point? What makes you think I even read your first reply to begin with? That's a better question.

I'm not going to provide an argument for/against anything else you said because I was never set out to do so, but you speak as though I disagree with you. My only response to you was not to take me out of context, we wouldn't be having this discussion now if you actually read what I typed.