Do Gang Injunctions Work?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 8, 2008
All my LA & SD folks lace me on game one time do gang injunctions do what they are supposed to do? Last night Oakland City Council voted 4-3 to pass funding for gang injunctions in North Oakland and in Fruitvale, and the Fruitvale gang injunction is in court right now. From everything I've read the shit seems nothing more than legal racial profiling. ESPECIALLY in North Oakland, where niggas ain't even gangbanging. I guess I'm tryna just find out if that shit has had any real affect on gang banging in LA or San Diego.
http://www.insidebayarea.com/top-stories/ci_18085850

Jan 23, 2006
They dont really stop gangs but they do send alot of people away (to prison). You exactly right on the racial profiling because they sweat everybody in the hood active or not, guilty by association.

SLICC RICC

Encapuchado
Jan 4, 2005
THEY WORK ACCORDING TO LAW ENFORCEMENT, BUT THEY CREATE INSTANCES OF RACIAL PROFILING, MISTAKEN IDENTITY, AND POLICE BRUTALITY...

FIRST THEY WANNA HERD US INTO THE GHETTOS THEN THEY TRY AND STRIP ACCESS TO THE VERY STREETS TO WHERE WE ARE CONFINED... AINT THAT A BITCH?!?

BUT AS FAR AS INJUNCTIONS STOPPING GANG MEMBERS FROM CONGREGATING, THATS A FANTASY THAT THE LAW WILL NEVER SEE FULFILLED, IN ANY CITY IN CALIFORNIA...

Oct 6, 2005
All the sh*t they ^ said... Plus... Gang injunctions help law enforcement carry out their bullsh*t unabated... They get to round up fools 'cause they own the wrong DOG or for hangin' with childhood friends... Fools can't even visit their momma's house if it's in a certain area... Gang injunctions = the biggest violation of civil rights the state of California has ever come up with... And no... Injunctions don't stop a single thing when fools get ta funkin'...

Dec 12, 2008
Roseville , Ca.
Its another reason for them to stop a person or just harass them w/ their only reason being your in a known gang area . If you happen to grow up in these areas you might be chillin drinking a 7-up outside the corner store , light a cig & boom hands to the wall . Got anything I should know about .... I think its profiling . Its not helping end violence so Im against it .

Apr 27, 2009
all that money that goes into gang injuction is a waste of tax payers money.

gang injunction is unconstitutional and does not respect the liberty of those in that neighborhood

the govt needs to understand that they are not God, they cant stop drugs, prostitution, gangs, crime. its a utopian thought to think that an injuction will combat gang activity

when it all boils down to it and people are sent to prison, thats more money from the tax payers to keep that person in prison, and it is counterproductive to the individual that is convicted

do gang injunctions work? no! by policing a neighborhood you exhaust the morale of that community, but you expect them to be productive citizens.

Jan 16, 2006
Everywhere
It gets fools locked up but I dont think it has a HUGE effect on crime...im from the IE..about 30 minutes east of LA city and there is injunctions on the main W/S San Bernardino hoods, East Riverside, South Rialto, Olive St in Pomona, and the CCC's in Colton. The mid 2000s was active and deadly as fuck in San Bernardino, and this was well after the injunctions got slapped on them hoods in the 90s. One thing iv'e noticed injunctions do is scatter fools to other areas of their city or area. How crackin an area gets doesn't have much to do with an injunction, thats just some harrassment shit, if shit is going to pop off its going to pop off. A lot of injunctions don't have much to do ith stopping crime, it's making an area have a less visible gang presence.

They put an injunction on a bunch of hoods in the area where Staples center is at back before or around when they was building it. The real reason for it is because they just wanted to make that area look more attractive for developers and shit like that..not to make the community safer or any bullshit they would like people to believe.

May 8, 2008
Shit I wanna to know what it takes for gang injunctions to get placed on a neighborhood. Because them cats in North Oakland ain't no gang. At least not in the conventional sense. There is nothing that separates them kids from anybody else in Oakland, why they're being singled out is beyond me. They got a bunch of clicks (Cold Gunnaz, Gaskill Maniacs, ASAP, FT etc) but its just kids from the hood that run together. No organization, no real identifier besides tatts, no real presence behind bars, damn sure no colors. Shit they might as well put an injunction on the whole city cuz every hood in oakland is the same shit besides the Mexican gangs. If representing your neighborhood constitutes being in a gang then these next few years will be all bad.

May 8, 2008
@NuttKase If that ain't a clear case of profiling I don't know what is. If that's all it takes every hood in the Town finna have an injunction on it. The fuck type of shit is that they just gon ban every black male from the city? Seems like its just another way to gentrify neighborhoods.

Jan 16, 2006
Everywhere
Shit I wanna to know what it takes for gang injunctions to get placed on a neighborhood. Because them cats in North Oakland ain't no gang. At least not in the conventional sense. There is nothing that separates them kids from anybody else in Oakland, why they're being singled out is beyond me. They got a bunch of clicks (Cold Gunnaz, Gaskill Maniacs, ASAP, FT etc) but its just kids from the hood that run together. No organization, no real identifier besides tatts, no real presence behind bars, damn sure no colors. Shit they might as well put an injunction on the whole city cuz every hood in oakland is the same shit besides the Mexican gangs. If representing your neighborhood constitutes being in a gang then these next few years will be all bad.
A lot of old, rooted, established hoods get hit with injunctions. They(police) have had little success doing real policing so they resort to a bullshit injunction to do something about it...

A lot of times it's a really high profile incident...for example...204 st getting an injunction after that racial killing. As far as I know, 204st aint never been no big factor in the HA but because of that incident they got hit with an injunction..they felt like they had to do something i guess, lol...

another reason is economic..like I said with the area around Staples. It's not to make the community safer, it's to make the area more attractive to developers to get the city more money and get stupid shit built near gang areas to i guess try and gentrify it in a way.

Nov 3, 2007
all that money that goes into gang injuction is a waste of tax payers money.

gang injunction is unconstitutional and does not respect the liberty of those in that neighborhood

the govt needs to understand that they are not God, they cant stop drugs, prostitution, gangs, crime. its a utopian thought to think that an injuction will combat gang activity

when it all boils down to it and people are sent to prison, thats more money from the tax payers to keep that person in prison, and it is counterproductive to the individual that is convicted

do gang injunctions work? no! by policing a neighborhood you exhaust the morale of that community, but you expect them to be productive citizens.
you're a smart dude, I'm suprised the ACLU aint never brought it to court, guaranteed it would be overturned. But since they are "gang members", the ACLU probably dont even want to touch it because it would be terrible PR. I don't get how your free to say fuck the government but your not allowed to hang with your homies? Fucked up.

May 8, 2008
you're a smart dude, I'm suprised the ACLU aint never brought it to court, guaranteed it would be overturned. But since they are "gang members", the ACLU probably dont even want to touch it because it would be terrible PR. I don't get how your free to say fuck the government but your not allowed to hang with your homies? Fucked up.
The ACLU has brought it to court, so has a lot of other people. It's in court in Oakland right now. I understand the premise of an injunction as far as keeping certain people off the streets....stay away clauses serve similar purposes, my problem is it seems like this shit is unjustly labeling people as "gang members," and it clearly leads to profiling, and its not clear that it actually works.

Apr 27, 2009
Yea Dat. im not smart its just common sense bro. and you are correct, the PR backfire would outweigh the effort.

no union or group needs to realize that the Inner-city minorities are punished unfairly in war on drugs and crime. why should govt and cops spy on us? they work for US! how about we spy on them! on cops when they arrest or interrogate people (especially hookers). on prosecutors when they decide whom to prosecute and what evidence to use. on judges when they rationalize our guaranteed rights.

the governments job is not to regulate bad habits (doing drugs/gangs). thats our problem, and for God to help.

it would just make sense for govt to admit that they are not God, they cant live other peoples lives or save people who dont want to be saved. a law cannot make a wicked man virtuous, only the Grace of Prayer can accomplish such things. cops and politicians are beyond moral goodness themselves, but they want to slap on these injunctions and laws.

I can go on and on, but again, NO injunctions do not work they make the problem worse. if a mothafucka come up to you and say,

"look, you cant hang here, and you cant be with the people you knew since knee high. I will be regularly be checking up on you to make sure you are following my directions. And if you dont follow directions, I will make sure you are severely punished and have your rights taken away. "

how would you react? i tell you, its death before dishonor with me and ill be damned if a devil in a uniform or a suit try to control my life like Im some video game character.

May 8, 2008
Every government official takes a Constitutional vow to defend America from enemies foreign and DOMESTIC. I'm not mad at law enforcement for trying to eradicate guns gangs and drugs. The problem is they go about it it in a fucked up way that makes the problem worse. We gotta solve the social problems that have forced niggas into this lifestyle for decades. You can't try to stop gangs without stopping the causation of gangs. How you gon tell a nigga not to make money illegally when unemployment in his community is off the charts? How you gon tell a nigga with no family support not to join a gang? Until the social problems change, gangs drugs and crime aint goin nowhere, dont matter how many injunctions they come up wit.

Nov 3, 2007
people think economic issues and social issues are completely different but they go hand in hand. if their were business opportunities in these place were they are injunctions, i guarantee people would rather make money than kill each other. they should come up with some kinda grant program for businesses in these types of neighborhoods and let them be tax free for 2 years. because you cant make money if you aint got none to start with and guaranteed if you dont got much money your more worried about making that 9-5 just to make it rather than getting that extra amount to take you over that hump.

Apr 27, 2009
Every government official takes a Constitutional vow to defend America from enemies foreign and DOMESTIC. I'm not mad at law enforcement for trying to eradicate guns gangs and drugs. The problem is they go about it it in a fucked up way that makes the problem worse. We gotta solve the social problems that have forced niggas into this lifestyle for decades. You can't try to stop gangs without stopping the causation of gangs. How you gon tell a nigga not to make money illegally when unemployment in his community is off the charts? How you gon tell a nigga with no family support not to join a gang? Until the social problems change, gangs drugs and crime aint goin nowhere, dont matter how many injunctions they come up wit.
im not mad at police either. im just saying 2 things

1. govt needs to realize that they cant stop personal problems

2. do not victimize an entire community because of a couple candy ass gang bangers, its unconstitutional