Do any artists have clean-edited versions of their entire album/s?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 2, 2006
Another great promo tool but I won't charge you for that one.j/k. I am curious though, who thinks it is beneficial and or not? Sometimes I hear songs that I think would be good music for sporting events, intermissions, etc. Something to think about and another avenue to reach more people. Any thoughts?

Dec 2, 2006
stfu nobody buys edited albums on purpose - they do give em away for promo though. always used to see edited cds for the low at amoeba, $4.99. most people don't want that shit.
Nobody is buying anything Bay related, the soundscans don't lie like people do. And my whole point is related to PROMO. I was going to buy one on the strength and if there was something I was feeling, I would play it at some events where appropiate. Business 101, the more people you touch the more potential there is for sales, but I clearly see how hard that concept is to grasp.

hell, rasputins will turn you down if you try to sell them a clean cd. that's like getting turned down by the neighborhood hoe
Not if there is a demand. If people wanted to buy shit, the stores would put it on the shelves.

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
I don't think it's beneficial or worth the money. Atleast for Bay Area cats only VERY FEW will even get ONE song on commercial radio and in that case, make a radio friendly version of that song you're pushin. Most radio play however will be on college, pirate or internet radio where you can say "fuck" as much as you want.

I know it's a pipe dream for many Bay Area artists to think some radio DJ at a commercial station will spin their shit just for the hell of it but they're controlled by a higher power and would get canned for putting ANYTHING on that isn't already on the pre-determined playlist.

Dec 2, 2006
I don't think it's beneficial or worth the money. Atleast for Bay Area cats only VERY FEW will even get ONE song on commercial radio and in that case, make a radio friendly version of that song you're pushin. Most radio play however will be on college, pirate or internet radio where you can say "fuck" as much as you want.

I know it's a pipe dream for many Bay Area artists to think some radio DJ at a commercial station will spin their shit just for the hell of it but they're controlled by a higher power and would get canned for putting ANYTHING on that isn't already on the pre-determined playlist.
I hear you, but I am thinking more along the lines of youth related activities- football games, basketball games, etc- anywhere they play music other than a radio station or club(even highschool events for that matter). It really isn't that hard to have an edited version and clean version of evey song. It may cost an extra hour of studio time but I think it is worth it personally, but for promo purposes only. It may require contacting the youth organizations, venues and what have you, but that little footwork may create another potential avenue for cd sales. To top it off, this footwork can all be done with free help, but that is a whole different subject.

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
I hear your point, but you gotta look at it like this:

Bay Area artists are on a limited budget. The "supply and demand" theory comes into play here. Why would an artist or group spend what could possibly result in a few hundred (or thousand) dollars just because there's a CHANCE a song or 3 may be played at a youth event? And if an edited album or song is played at such an event and if whoever hears it goes to the store to buy it, they're gonna get the street version anyway. I don't see the logic in it personally.

Dec 2, 2006
I hear your point, but you gotta look at it like this:

Bay Area artists are on a limited budget. The "supply and demand" theory comes into play here. Why would an artist or group spend what could possibly result in a few hundred (or thousand) dollars just because there's a CHANCE a song or 3 may be played at a youth event? And if an edited album or song is played at such an event and if whoever hears it goes to the store to buy it, they're gonna get the street version anyway. I don't see the logic in it personally.
You are probably right as your experience in this business definately exceeds mine. I just don't think enough thought is put into a plan of action in general and if a budget allows for some promo cd's why not do it this way, you know?

Dec 2, 2006
Not bad. Definately a different flavor of music with the political stuff, like Paris. And your voice is distinctive. It is hard to get a good feel because each sample is so short. Any full length stuff?