DJ GETS BEAT UP IN ATL, DJ BANS HIS RECORD. CAN WE PREVENT THIS IN THE BAY AREA?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 23, 2005
Hey guys, DJ E Rock here and I ran across one of the most interesting articles I have seen in a long time in regards to the DJ's role in hip hop today.

I know there can be mad differences between the artists / labels of today and the DJ's who determine what gets played and what doesn't. Unfortunately there are consequences on both ends for both the DJ and the artists involved.

Read the following article, and let me know your thoughts, I am doing a big piece on this on Bomb Bay Radio this Tuesday because I personally belive that all situations can be prevented and I want to know what YOU think it will take for this type of situation to be prevented. We are a thriving region and we need to really get together and get it together so it can never fall apart!

I am about the bay because I am from here so anything posative we can do together is what I am about.

The best responses will be read on Bomb Bay Radio this Tuesday Night. Good luck to everyone nominated at the BARS awards.

Update: DJs Ban Young Buck, G-Unit Rapper Tells His Side
Friday - December 1, 2006 by Alexis Chase

While over 200 DJs connected on Thursday night's (November 30) Core DJ conference call to form a unified response to a recent exchange between Young Buck and Atlanta's DJ Will, Buck appeared live on Nashville radio to appeal for a resolution.
As SOHH previously reported, Hot 107.9 and other Atlanta Radio One stations removed Young Buck from their rotations following an incident Sunday (November 26), when Buck challenged Hot 107.9 and BME's DJ Will for playing The Game's "It's Okay (One Blood)" at Club Nocturnal, where Buck was scheduled to perform. Immediately after reports of the incident hit the media, DJs across the country showed allegiance to their fellow Will, prompting Core DJs founder Tony Neal to schedule the conference call.
213 callers tuned in to the bridge conference to talk about the controversial situation last night. The call, which lasted nearly three and a half hours, included such DJs as Tony Neal, DJ Kay Slay, DJ Clue, DJ Finesse, DJ Impact, DJ Mars, DJ Kaye Dunaway and Interscope's Adam Favors, among many others.
While Favors reminded his the Core DJs that Interscope and Radio One -- along with parties associated with DJ Will -- are already in the process of hammering out a resolution, a number of DJs felt that, until a resolution is reached, Buck's records should not be played out of respect to Will.
"It could have happened to any of us," a number of smaller market DJs reminded the group throughout the call.
The call also demonstrated that many of the DJs' frustrations extends beyond the Young Buck/DJ Will incident; as the overabundance of beef in the hip-hop industry has created ongoing tension for DJs who find it precarious balancing artist's conflicts with their own autonomy. More than one caller spoke to the need to send a clear message to artists and record labels, while others made pointed remarks about the low standards in hip-hop today.
"There's no repercussions for artists," one DJ complained; while another added, "We gotta do today what we can do to prevent any more negative shit in hip-hop. We're already on the line now. DJ's are the only thing keeping this balanced because the artists are out of control."
A formal decision on the part of Core was not made during the call, however several DJs were clear that they would not be playing Buck's records until they hear of a resolution for DJ Will. Some callers pledged to remove Young Buck from their playlists for 60 days, while others were keen on avoiding playing G-Unit and/or Interscope records entirely.
As the call was being conducted, Young Buck appeared on Nashville's 101.1 The Beat Jamz's "Dolewite and Scooby Show" to give his version of the incident [here the full interview here]. According to Buck, he was onstage preparing to perform accompanied by his own DJ, Don Juan, when DJ Will dropped The Game single.
Contrary to previous reports, Buck alleges he did not take offense to "One Blood" being played, but he asked DJ Will if he was trying to be disrespectful, and if so to drop the song again, which DJ Will did. At that point the crowd at Club Nocturnal grew incensed and after a failed attempt to perform "Money In The Bank," Buck approached the DJ booth.
Buck admitted that, feeling threatened, he grabbed DJ Will by his shirt, but when the DJ attempted to explain the miscommunication Apparently, Will could not hear what Buck said from the stage and someone near the booth tapped Will to say Buck wanted him to repeat the Game single. Buck let him go and left the club with his entourage. According to Buck, at that point clubgoers from Atlanta who were not associated with Young Buck attacked DJ Will.
Buck expressed sincere concern over the current situation, acknowledging that an ongoing problem with a radio DJ like Will could cause serious problems for his career,
"I'm a grown man so I'm trying to figure out how to resolve this, I have an album to drop in two to three months [Listen]," Buck said. "Core DJs could cause a chain reaction to other DJs not playing my record."
While at the radio station, Young Buck attempted reach out to Lil Jon, whose BME Recordings also employs DJ Will, but was forced to leave a voicemail for the Atlanta rapper.

Apr 7, 2004
what should happen is a DJ should whoop the artist ass....swing first fuck it...as soon as you see somethin about to jump off as in a artist getting all sensetive and upset over you playing what you wanna play and comes over to the booth...start ta swingin...that ull teach these artists to stop acting like bitches and to respect um for doing they job....

Dec 21, 2005
www.myspace.com
ALKOHOL said:
what should happen is a DJ should whoop the artist ass....swing first fuck it...as soon as you see somethin about to jump off as in a artist getting all sensetive and upset over you playing what you wanna play and comes over to the booth...start ta swingin...that ull teach these artists to stop acting like bitches and to respect um for doing they job....
co-sign^^^^ alota big artist thinkin they can't be touched, bullshyttttttttt

If that shyt happened to me personally iam swinging yaddasaymore

Aug 4, 2005
www.flossalini.com
All in all it was a hater move... that nigga(DJ Will) can play what the fuck he want's... that's his job! If the song makes the club go crazy play dat shit! Niggas(Buck) need to stop getting they feelings hurt becuz an artist they dont like is on the air, TV, or being spinned @ the club.

Aug 23, 2005
$Godzilla$ said:
I think dj's have more power then people think
Most people don't think so, but I agree. The DJ is the cornerstone of HIP HOP and it doesn't matter what region you are in. They are the eyes and ears of a radio station, club, mixtape ... you name it!

Dec 20, 2003
I think they just need to have a sit down and squash this asap it seems like Buck is sincere about wut happened it looks like a miscomunication when stations start to flex there power it could mean more situations happening in the near future like this hip hop so beef driven that it can get out of hand and many times its not the artist its the people that buy into it that start the drama look wut happened here buck left the club and other people that where there felt it was there obligation to put hands on the Dj i think a boycott of buck on the radio would cause a huge amount of people gettin hands put on them it aint that serious squash it for the record no one is in the wrong but mabey the dj could have played another song when buck was on stage just a suggestion but no one is wrong pz

Sep 12, 2004
www.myspace.com
i remember a year or so ago ja rule knocked a dj out for playin "21 Questions" in the club before he was supposed to perform..

niggas know what they doin.....
im a dj and i understand how we can be put in some ill situations with this music and beef and all that.. but c'mon..niggas know

you aint gonna play certain shit in certain situations...
or certain artists around certain artists... and if you do you already know what may or may not happen..
all my SD heads know where im comin from on that.

May 10, 2002
The artists themselves create these stupid situations with these wack as beefs. Something has to change to shake things up in order to get back to making good music.

Even if all the DJs in every club decided to boycott Interscope, if an Interscope artist made a hit, and the people wanted to hear it at the clubs, the DJ would be a moron not to play it if he wants to keep his gig. So that whole boycott shit is just a scare tactic.

TKASH

Sicc OG
Jun 6, 2005
www.guerrillafunk.com
Artists have to realize that THEY are resposible for their record blowing up. If they can't follow through with proper promo and quality marketing , those spins won't do a thing. I can testify as an artist to that. Beating up a Dj only makes it worse.

On the flipside , if you are a radio Dj who knows what value you have to the hip hop community, and you abuse that power, there is a good chance eventually you are going to do it to the wrong person , and you will get your third-party payola-taking , buck dancin' to the station gm for a morning show ASS BEAT.

Buuuuuuuuut hey , what do I know? .........see you @ midnite!-lol

www.kpfa.org
www.guerrillafunk.com

"STILL FREE SPEECH RADIO 94.1FM KPFA.......FUCK A SELLOUT."

May 29, 2002
MrPeete said:
The artists themselves create these stupid situations with these wack as beefs. Something has to change to shake things up in order to get back to making good music.
real spit. I'm thinkin of boycottin all artists that seem to look for beef which is why I have not been a fan of yuk for the last few years. he's the worst one. its also why I didnt pick up the games album even though everyone is tellin me it is a classic.

Nov 7, 2005
why would you play a game record with buck onstage? buck had every right to ask if he was being disrespectful. any of you know if you was on that stage and you thought the dj was trying to make you look like an ass you would step to him. if he play the game record there would never have been a problem, he actually played it twice. there was reason why the club goers got pissed they knew this dj was being a smartass

khayree

Bay Legend
Jun 8, 2005
We artist/lables and DJs need each other. Artist cant lose their cool and DJs shouldn't get so BIG that they forget who help them make it in the 1st place. Its a semiotic relationship.

Khayree

YoungBlackBrotha.com
Myspace.com/YBBrecords

Aug 23, 2005
khayree said:
We artist/lables and DJs need each other. Artist cant lose their cool and DJs shouldn't get so BIG that they forget who help them make it in the 1st place. Its a semiotic relationship.

Khayree

YoungBlackBrotha.com
Myspace.com/YBBrecords
Yes, think about it.. both need eachother. With out music, djs don't exisit.

SLY

Sicc OG
Feb 18, 2004
www.theslyshow.com
Ignorance is how u prevent it. THE dj was just playing what DJS play. top 40 songs. buck had enterd the bldg non-mentioned, then buck gets mad and slaps the dj? come on now. thats ignorant. how can it be prevented? it cant. rappers are ignorant and DJS play whats hot. so if a rapper dont agree with a song the DJ is gettin slapped. cant prevent that. its bound too happen.

Not the 1st time it has happend. sure not the last and it has happend before in this region. ehh.. its part of the game.