Did Johanned Mehserle Shoot Oscar Grant in the back on accident

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 5, 2008
I hear you bro, my whole point is theres alot of bullshit being thrown around - and Mehserle deserves to be hit with a murder/manslaughter charge and do time, but i've seen way too much made up shit going around(in general, not this thread) and that's only going to hurt the case in the eyes of the public and get people on his side.

Apr 26, 2006
The cop will get off free. I just don't see him being put behind bars. Worse that can happen to him is that he has to put down the badge.

Cops don't get charged because it affects the ability for them to do their jobs later down the road. It's more of a mental burder on their mind if they have to think about past court cases that went against them.

It's kind of like the Border Patrol incident where the agent shot the 14 year old from Mexico after being bombarded with rocks. I mean does that agent let himself get hit or does he protect himself with lethal force to stop the assualt? Most say lethal force is OK in that situation because rocks are deadly, but if he was convicted of murdering the 14 year old, then other agents after that are going to hesitate if a similiar situation like that comes up again.

IF DUDE GOES FREE, OAKLAND WILL BE IN A STATE OF EMERGENCY.

DUDE KILLED HIM IN COLD BLOOD, MY WHOLE THING IS HOW DO U MISTAKE A TASER FOR A REAL HANDGUN, THATS LIKE SAYIN "WHY DID U BUST HIM IN HIS HEAD WITH THAT ROCK SIR?' "OH I THOUGHT IT WAS A TENNIS BALL" c'mon son GTFOH.. TRIAL SHUDDA BEEN OVER IN 3 DAYS IF U ASK ME

Sep 5, 2008
The cop will get off free. I just don't see him being put behind bars. Worse that can happen to him is that he has to put down the badge.

Cops don't get charged because it affects the ability for them to do their jobs later down the road. It's more of a mental burder on their mind if they have to think about past court cases that went against them.

It's kind of like the Border Patrol incident where the agent shot the 14 year old from Mexico after being bombarded with rocks. I mean does that agent let himself get hit or does he protect himself with lethal force to stop the assualt? Most say lethal force is OK in that situation because rocks are deadly, but if he was convicted of murdering the 14 year old, then other agents after that are going to hesitate if a similiar situation like that comes up again.

Stein asked three BART police officers who talked with Mehserle immediately after the shooting if the then-26-year-old officer ever mentioned that he made a mistake. All three said no.

Stein also asked Mehserle's friend and fellow Officer Terry Foreman if Mehserle ever spoke about the shooting with him in the days that followed the shooting .... said Mehserle never mentioned that the shooting was an accident.
"All of a sudden, he broke down and started crying," Foreman said, describing an exchange the two had during a trip back from Sacramento about a week after the shooting. "He said, 'I thought he had a gun. I thought he had a gun.' "
Foreman said Mehserle made the same statement the night of the shooting.

I doubt he's getting off

and that pig that shot the kid over the border deserves the death penalty, but thats a whole seperate topic.

Jun 23, 2005
yeah oakland is going to need a lot of help if he gets let off free...i think the biggest thing the defense has as of right now is the picture oscar grant took himself of mehserle holding his taser. so mehserle knew where his taser is, he just wanted to kill oscar. r.i.p oscar grant.

SLICC RICC

Encapuchado
Jan 4, 2005
I HOPE THAT MUTHAFUCKER GETS CONVICTED OF MURDER... THAT WAY THOSE PHONY TEARS THAT PIECE OF SHIT SHED ON THE STAND TURN INTO REAL TEARS OF SHEER PANIC AND TERROR...

Mar 23, 2004
he killed oscar grant on purpose... there are crooked police officers in every precint and shit like this happens daily.

only sometimes it gets recorded and a whole bunch of so called "honorable men/women of the law" cant get together and write the report they want to. so sometimes people have to pay, like in this case.

if that wasn't recorded mehserle would be a hero.

Nov 1, 2004
I hope to god he goes to prison for AT LEAST manslaughter. Cops need to learn a lesson not to abuse power. What is surprising to me is a lot of people posting on SFgate.com that feel Mehserle should be innocent and that oscar grant was a thug that deserved it, that mentality makes me sick and angry.

May 4, 2002
I hope to god he goes to prison for AT LEAST manslaughter. Cops need to learn a lesson not to abuse power. What is surprising to me is a lot of people posting on SFgate.com that feel Mehserle should be innocent and that oscar grant was a thug that deserved it, that mentality makes me sick and angry.
most news websites have the same exact postings, its really sad.

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
No matter what, even if convicted he wont be treated like a normal person like you, or I would, in Alameda county, nobody who's homicide was caught on tape would not be granted bail, also his fellow police officers are funding his bail/lawyer fee's, we would all be fucked with a public defender, who instead of trying to get us off, would be happy getting us life with out parole instead of death, shits fucked up.

Jan 12, 2010
How many times do people who murder people say it was an accident or I didn't mean to shoot them. More then half the time. This falls under this catagory. My cousins house was broken in to while he was sleeping n he got up n started dumpin. He chased dudes out the house n kept shootin. He accidentally shot a homeless person diggin in a trash can n killed him. To make a long story short after all the gang enhancments he was given a term of 57 to life which he is currently serving in pelican bay. He was 17 years old n has now spent 10 years in prison. So is it different for this guy cuz he's a cop.

May 22, 2006
^^Fucked up bout ur cousin.
I think the cop is goin to get off. It's fucked. But that's my prediction. The other thing is that Oakland is gettn ready to cut a bunch of cops. That city is gonna get turned on it's head. I sincerely hope it don't go down like that. But I gotta bad feeling about it.

Dec 29, 2008
i think no one here can really say shit, cuz they werent there.. only those who were there can really give their recollections.. theres always 2 sides to story, regarless he killed a man.. time shall be served
um you do realize there's like 25 different videos of the murder shot by bart passnegers?

Dec 29, 2008
see meserle has been telling everyone and the court that he thought grant had a gun. thats why he shot him he thought grant had a gun or atleast thats what he's been saying. if he thought grant had a gun he wouldn't go for his taser he'd go for his gunand shoot him.

the whole taser confusion story is a lie. if the jury doesn't see that they're stupid or racist.

(06-30) 04:00 PDT Los Angeles - -- A jury could be weighing the fate of Johannes Mehserle by Thursday afternoon, after a prosecutor at the former BART police officer's murder trial used his final witnesses to attack Mehserle's assertion that he accidentally drew his pistol and killed Oscar Grant.

Both the prosecution and defense rested their cases Tuesday, setting up closing arguments on Thursday morning in the controversial case. Today, jurors are off while Judge Robert Perry rules on whether they will be able to consider manslaughter charges as alternatives to murder - options the defense opposes.

On the witness stand last week, Mehserle said he meant to shock the unarmed Grant with a Taser while arresting him at Oakland's Fruitvale Station after a fight on a train early Jan. 1, 2009. Witnesses have said Mehserle appeared shocked after pulling the trigger.

But prosecutor David Stein, in his rebuttal case Tuesday, showed jurors that Mehserle's black Sig Sauer P226 pistol weighed roughly 2 1/2 pounds, more than three times as much as his yellow Taser X26.

An investigator working for Stein said on the witness stand that he had disarmed the officer's weapons without changing their weights, a move that will allow jurors to touch them - and perhaps draw them from the holsters on Mehserle's utility belt - in the deliberation room.

Stein also called to the witness stand Terry Foreman, one of Mehserle's closest friends on the BART force. Foreman said he had sat with Mehserle at police headquarters in the hours after the shooting, had driven him home that morning, and had spoken to him several times in subsequent days.

Mehserle never said he had mistaken his firearm for his Taser, Foreman testified, but only repeated that he thought Grant had been reaching for a gun. Foreman recalled that as he drove Mehserle back from his then-attorney's office in Sacramento one day, his friend grew emotional.

"All of a sudden, he just broke down and said, 'I thought he had a gun, I thought he had a gun,' " Foreman said.

Under cross-examination by defense attorney Michael Rains, Foreman and three other BART officers who interacted with Mehserle after the shooting said they had never given Mehserle an opportunity to explain how or why he shot Grant. They said cops are trained to consult only with an attorney after an officer-involved shooting.

"I shut him down," Foreman said, referring to one of his first conversations with Mehserle. "When he started talking about it, I said, 'I'm not here for that.' "

Foreman described Mehserle as even-tempered, hard-working and popular within the BART ranks. But after the shooting, Foreman said, his friend was so distraught that he urged his superiors to quickly arrange mental health counseling.

Earlier Tuesday, Rains rested his defense case after calling his final witnesses, including an expert on how police officers perform in high-stress situations.

William Lewinski, a recently retired professor at Minnesota State University Mankato, lent support to the defense's argument that Mehserle could have turned to a skill that was well-developed and automatic - the drawing of his gun - rather than to the Taser he had been issued less than a month before.

Lewinski also said officers tend to get "tunnel vision," focusing narrowly on threats.

Video footage of the shooting shows that as Mehserle raised the gun, a second BART officer, Anthony Pirone, had his left knee on Grant's neck. Pirone's left hand was pressing Grant's head into the platform, and Pirone's right hand was holding Grant's right arm - the same one Mehserle said he couldn't secure, thus prompting him to turn to his Taser.

Later in the morning session, Grant's mother, Wanda Johnson, broke into tears during the testimony of Dr. Thomas Rogers as he described the autopsy he conducted on Grant for the Alameda County coroner. During the lunch break, Johnson had to be taken to a hospital in an ambulance after she became disoriented outside the courthouse.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article/article?f=/c/a/2010/06/29/BA5J1E6N7G.DTL#ixzz0sMOYr43R