David Stern to Jim Rome: "Do you still beat your wife?"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 18, 2003
I've always thought Stern was a punk. And now, finally, the moment he does something blasphemous in the eyes of the media, I gain a new respect for him. I understand there is a certain way to act in the public spotlight, but if you are being treated a certain way by someone who is also in the public eye, you should be able to return fire at will. It's media response like this which is to blame for why we have drones as leaders of this country. Because the moment you stray away from the status quo, from that uniform code of conduct, you are blacklisted. Going off on a tangent here, but I'd feel more comfortable with a U.S. presidential nominee sitting at a podium, smoking a cigerette, saying to the crowd "our country is fucked, and we need to get it unfucked immediately!" than to see the same drones who spew out the same boring rhetoric as they have over the past 20+ years.

Bravo Stern for not rolling over and responding like a robot.

Mar 11, 2011
Some of you dont seem to understand that "Do you still beat your wife?" is rhetorical, as in a reply to a question where both "yes" and "no" are both negative answers. It's rebuttal question/answer people have used for a long time. It's morons like the people that post those kind of stories under the headlines "Stern asks Rome if he beats his wife" at yahoo sports, and the dumbasses that quote it as fact and spread misinformation that annoy me. Everyone already knows Stern is a money grubbing cheat, and Rome's best years are way behind him.
That's a good point cuz Rome didn't answer it at all and just moved on defending his right to ask that question.

I think Rome handled it well