David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
I've just recently really gotten into Floyd, and I have become a huge David Gilmour fan. I love the tone he produces, and his solos and vocals are outstanding. His self titled solo album is fantastic too. I like his vocals much better than Roger Waters.

Apr 25, 2002
By the way, the song "Sorrow" is fucking amazing!!! I've watched it numerous times on the PULSE Live DVD and WOW, the extended soloing is fucking incredible.......

May 15, 2002
While I agree with you about him being an amazing guitarist, I don't really like his vocals past the mid 1970's. I love him on the early stuff because he has such a young voice, but I think Roger Waters' voice is miles beyond Gilmour (I know I'm a minority opinion on that matter). I love that spacey but bluesy tone he gets out of his guitar.

Apr 25, 2002
I love that spacey but bluesy tone he gets out of his guitar.
EXACTLY.....that's the tone I'm after on the guitar too. It's that spacey bluesy Strat sound......

You don't like his vocals on The Division Bell? I think it's a great album.....

May 15, 2002
nope lol. I actually don't like any PF after Roger Waters split. In fact, I don't like anything without the Mason, Wright, Waters, Gilmour lineup. Although I admit I haven't listened to the later PF albums in years. The last time I listened to the Division Bell was probably 4 years ago to check if Three 6 Mafia sampled them on the HCP album lol (which they did!).

I actually do like Gilmour's s/t a bit though. I haven't tried his latest, but again, I don't like his fat old man voice as much.

Anyhow, on guitar...

At around 6:15, the sound he gets out of his guitar is one of the greatest sounds I've ever heard.

What do you think of A Momentary Lapse of Reason?

Apr 25, 2002
I haven't heard that album yet. Is it any good? "Sorrow" is from that album right? That song is fucking incredible.......

How is The Final Cut?

May 15, 2002
I personally don't like AMLOR much, but if you like Division Bell you might. There is no doubt the album came from the 80's (keyboard saturation and arena-style drum sound).

The Final Cut is really dry and slow. It's more or less a Roger Waters solo album (which are all quite pretentious and boring) with PF playing along. It's most similar to The Wall, but lack almost all energy. It's ok, but I probably would have never bought it if I heard it before.

I feel so negative in this thread. Give me some early 70's PF and I'll be kissing their nuts like it'll get me into heaven.

May 15, 2002
Meddle is definitely worth buying. It's easily their most underrated album. Atom Heart Mother is worth getting if you get to the point where you need more and more, but it's not essential. Besides the obvious popular albums (which are definitely their best), I'd recommend...

Meddle
Ummagumma (the live disc is amazing; studio disc is really fucking weird)
Obscured by Clouds

You should also check out the Live at Pompeii DVD. The original film is better than the director's cut, but both versions are on the DVD release. Pompeii has the best and trippiest versions of most of the songs on there. I can upload the audio if you'd like since all CD versions are bootlegs.

May 15, 2003
pink floyd is dope. but i need a mixture of roger waters and david gilmore singing on 1 album, too much of either of them is over-saturated. im not too familiar with syd barrett singing, i might check it out sometime, but from what i understand it didnt have that spacey-vibe that i love.

Apr 25, 2002
Just picked up Meddle and Momentary Lapse (it was used) yesterday. I really like Echoes from Meddle a lot. Haven't soaked the whole album thoroughly yet......