Creating You're Own Video Game Content

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 12, 2003
www.soundclick.com
I found this article an interesting read.. Especially since what i'm in the middle of doing right now is completing my general education for Video Game & Art Design.. Right now i'm at a community college, so i don't have the tools to really create anything by myself yet.. But hopefully by the end of next year i'll be at Expression's and on my way to gettin that degree for video game design.. As a kid i drew my own comic books and wrote my own short stories, when i was introduced to video games i felt that they had the potential to be the ultimate in story telling (and they are now.) So i've always been interested in creating my own video game with it's own story..

I remember there was a game on the PS1 that allowed you to create you're own RPG.. I spent months perfecting my own RPG game and all my friends had a blast playin thru it.. I think another kinda video game like that is long over-due, but quite possibly something like that might be on the horizon.. Especially with the success of games like Spore and Little Big Planet.. I can only keep my fingers crossed... Anyways, enough babbleing.. Heres the article -

msnbc story said:
"Galactic Adventures" — the first expansion pack for "Spore" — gives players an easy-to-use set of tools to create their very own gaming adventures and then share them with the world. I'm creating an adventure called "A Foul Fowl" starring one unhappy mutant picken (a creature that's part pig, part chicken). But will anyone actually enjoy playing it?
View related photos

Winda Benedetti
Citizen Gamer

I’ve spent the last several days carefully crafting a little something I like to call “A Foul Fowl.” It’s a game that requires players to traverse a strange planet and get to the bottom of a vast conspiracy. There are innocent lives to be saved. There are mutant farm animals to be subdued. There is lots and lots of shooting to be done.

Or at least, I hope there will be by the time I’m finally finished. I have to admit, I’ve been a bit obsessed with “A Foul Fowl” which, to be honest, is not exactly a full game per se, but rather one mission within the larger game known as “Spore Galactic Adventures.” Still, I can’t stop tinkering with it. I want to get my mission just right before I share it with the world. And share it I will.

“Galactic Adventures,” which launched this week, is the first expansion for “Spore” and one that gives players the tools they need to create their own gameplay adventures and to then share those adventures so that other people can play them. It’s also the latest entry in the growing gaming phenomenon known as “user-generated content.”

Increasingly, gamers aren’t just “players,” they’re often “creators” as well. “Player expression” and “user-generated content” were two of the phrases buzzing about this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo. It seems game makers everywhere are trying to come up with ways to help game players unleash their inner creative genius.

In April, the online game “City of Heroes” launched “Mission Architect” — an expansion that gives players the tools to create missions and then publish them for others to play. At E3, Nintendo showed off “WarioWare D.I.Y.” — an upcoming DS game that will let players design their own micro-games from scratch and then share them with others. Meanwhile, next week, Microsoft will launch “Kodu,” a programming tool that allows even novice players to create and share their very own Xbox 360 games.

Express yourself​
Blame it on the Internet … and YouTube, Twitter and Facebook. Everywhere you look these days, media consumers are becoming media makers. It seems everyone wants to create stuff and share it with the world … gamers included.

“I think players and people in general have stories they want to tell,” says Matt Miller, “City of Heroes” lead designer. “Everybody has that Great American Novel in them, and this is our outlet for them.”

With “Mission Architect,” “City of Heroes” players craft their own unique missions and story arcs by using a series of easy-to-navigate menus. They type in the story details and dialogue they want players to encounter. They select the goals players will be tasked with and design the enemies they’ll face off against. And then they post it for all to play.

Miller says they’ve been stunned by the response: Within 24 hours of the launch, players had put together 3,800 story arcs. As of this week, more than 200,000 missions have been published.

“I think that the desire to create is universal and has always been there, but now the tools are making it more accessible,” says Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo executive VP of sales and marketing.

Indeed, user-generated content in gaming is not new. For years, games like “Quake” and “Half-Life” have spawned communities dedicated to creating their own modified levels. But these days, it’s no longer just the savviest gamers who are getting in on the action.

When Sony launched “LittleBigPlanet” last year, they brought the user-generated concept into living rooms in a big-big way. The game gave PlayStation 3 owners approachable tools with which they could craft some seriously stunning levels. And players loved it — so far they have designed more than 800,000 of their own “LBP” levels.

At E3, Sony executives unveiled the next installment in what they’re calling their “Play, Create, Share” line of games. “ModNation Racers” is a PS3 kart-racing game that allows gamers to craft their own tracks for others to take a spin on. Check out this video to see just how easy it will be.

And that’s the key — ease of use. At long last, companies are coming up with ways to make gaming creation so easy that even a child can do it. In fact, that’s exactly what “Kodu” aims to be — a programming environment that even 9-year-olds could use to build their very own games. Scheduled to arrive via Xbox Live next week, “Kodu” is currently being used in schools to teach programming.

Creative not-so-genius​
“We wanted to make tools that made creating for non-creators fun,” says Caryl Shaw, “Spore” senior producer.

When Maxis launched “Spore” last year, they gave players a wondrously intuitive set of digital tools for making creatures, buildings, vehicles and cities — all of which could then be used in the game’s evolutionary-themed play. But when they launched “Galactic Adventures” this week, they took it one giant step further, giving players the ability to craft entire adventures for others to experience.

They’re pitching it as “the YouTube of gaming.” That is, using the adventure creator you can terraform a digital planet, populate it with creatures that you’ve designed and tweak these creatures’ behaviors. You can set the goals players will have to accomplish — fighting, defending, exploring, etc. You’ll write dialog and plot your adventure’s twists and turns. And then, with the click of your mouse, you’ll share it all with other “Spore” players.

Of course, take a gander at the adventures your fellow gamers have made and you’ll quickly discover that many of them aren’t very good. There’s an adventure called “Fetch Spot Fetch,” which involves far too many long, tedious treks. There’s an adventure called “The Ultimate Test of Skill,” which should be called “The Ultimate Test of Patience.”

Don’t get me wrong, Maxis deserves kudos for making a remarkably versatile and powerful creative tool that is also remarkably easy to use. But herein lies the down-side of user-generated content: Sometimes users just don’t make very good stuff. I mean, after all, we’re just a bunch of amateurs.

“We know that some of it is going to be not that great,” Shaw says. “But then there will be those jewels.”

And she’s right. For all the frustratingly amateurish missions you’ll come across there’s the fun stuff like “Zyi’s Lost Paradise” — a sweet and beautifully detailed quest — and “Banana Blitz” — an absurdly amusing adventure in which you must triumph over a giant banana. And as players have more time to learn the tools, the quality is sure to improve.

Meanwhile, Shaw points out that “Galactic Adventures” offers multiple ways to sift through, rate and give feedback on the player content so that the best-of-the-best can easily be found.

I’ll confess, I don’t think my own “Spore”-spawned adventure will ever be among the best-of-the-best. In fact, I’m afraid “A Foul Fowl” might be downright ... foul.

I suppose, in the end, it doesn’t really matter how good it is. This is the closest I’ve ever come to making my own video game, and this chance to craft my own gaming experience has absorbed me far more than many of my recent playing experiences have. It’s lured my all-too-rusty creative side into the sunlight so much so that even when I’m not playing “Galactic Adventures,” I’m dreaming up ways to improve upon my adventure.

Meanwhile, as I’ve struggled to figure out how to make my homegrown adventure into something that’s compelling and full of well-balanced challenges and vibrant characters — as I've struggled to make “A Foul Fowl,” you know, fun to play — I’ve realized, these are the kinds of struggles the professionals face all the time.

It seems I now understand something in a way I never understood it before: Making a good game is really hard to do.

link to article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31538416/ns/technology_and_science-games//

if a game came out that'd let you guys create you're own RPG or Fighting Game (those are the two easiest games to make probably) would you guys be interested?

Feb 12, 2003
www.soundclick.com
Yesterday I read an article on IGN about KODU. In fact, google it if you want. And no, rpg and fighting games are not the easiest to make.
Maybe not the easiest to make from the ground up.. But (besides side scrollers and lame games like that) i'd imagine they'd be the easiest to make if you had a game like Little Big Planet but instead made it strictly for makeing an RPG/Fighting game..

The "Create You're Own RPG" game was really simple.. I'm surprised there hasn't been more games like it released.. And yeah KODU (or Boku for those of us who have been following it) is defiantly a step in the right direction.. But i think if a developer made a game that was meant to have the player make a specific genre of video games (like an ""Create You're Own RPG" or "Create You're Own Fighter") it'd do better then something like Little Big Planet which is sorta able to make a lot of different types of games, but sacrifices some features that could've been implemented to do so.

May 31, 2006
hows that comin along? i wanted to do the same shit but i duno everything's in the air right now. in community college.. you learnin like flash animation as a start or what? you go to las po?

Feb 12, 2003
www.soundclick.com
hows that comin along? i wanted to do the same shit but i duno everything's in the air right now. in community college.. you learnin like flash animation as a start or what? you go to las po?
Well i sorta been slacking this year due to my work, and bein in and out of rehab.. But now i'm more determined then ever to get back at it, because i'm tired of workin 12am-12pm 5-6days a week jus to live paycheck from paycheck.. But now i've finnaly got some money saved up so i can go to school again.. I figure theres nothing else i love to do then play video games (i seriously eat and breath video games anyone who knows me knows this) and i've always been obsessed with art and digital art (flash animation and photoshop) so it jus makes perfect sense..

At the moment i'am just trying to finish up my General Education, i'm hopeing i can have that done by next year and by then i'll have the 20racks saved up that it takes to get into Expression's for a year.. So far i've finished up my Fine Art class, my Digital Media class, and my Introduction to Physiology class.. I've got A LOT of Digital Art/Computer classes i still need to take along with a few regular art classes and shit like sociology/english/ect..

And no i actually did all these classes at DvC and thats where i plan on going again when school starts again next month.. DvC has way more Digital Art and Art classes in general than LMC, and i've also heard they are better too so i'm stickin' wit DvC.

But yeah man.. I figure video games are outselling books and movies and they are only gonna get bigger.. They've turned into the ultimate story telling medium and that's what really intests me because i think i can tell one hell of a good story thru a video game like i did with that "Make You're Own RPG Game" that i had for the ps1.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
why are you not already fucking with shit? I can understand getting a bit of training to get started, but you're trying to go to community college so you can hop into expressions and spend damn near 2 years learning when you could be fucking with it on your own. I was about to fuck with a community game for Xbox but there would be too much work involved on my end since I have a mac. I'd love to be involved in writing one since I don't have the art or programming skills needed to make a game, but since I don't know people who can do that shit then I won't be fucking with it. actually, I'll probably take a class soon to create applications, then I'll probably fuck with games. I wanna make games for mobile phones tho.

Feb 12, 2006
I was thinking about this shit yesterday when my boy was looking through Youtube and found some shit with Homer Simpson vs Peter Griffin and it looked like it was basically using Marvel vs Capcom engine and shit. You should probably fuck around with shit like that just to get the hang of things. That shit is hilarious as hell too

Feb 12, 2003
www.soundclick.com
why are you not already fucking with shit? I can understand getting a bit of training to get started, but you're trying to go to community college so you can hop into expressions and spend damn near 2 years learning when you could be fucking with it on your own. I was about to fuck with a community game for Xbox but there would be too much work involved on my end since I have a mac. I'd love to be involved in writing one since I don't have the art or programming skills needed to make a game, but since I don't know people who can do that shit then I won't be fucking with it. actually, I'll probably take a class soon to create applications, then I'll probably fuck with games. I wanna make games for mobile phones tho.
What do you mean? I'am "already fucking with shit".. I'm going to a community college to get my General Education done (saves me about 18grand) then i'm transfering over to Expression's to learn the programs and such.. Creating Video game's is not something you learn to do overnight or by you're self (for the most part.) I really don't have that much experience with video game programming, 'nor the money right now to buy a computer able to run those programs.. Plus teaching you're self is cool and all but there's so many benefits by going to a school..

First off you got a teacher and classmates to help ya' out on questions.. You'll be learning on a top of the line computer running top of the line programs that most big game developeing companys are using right now in their own studios.. So once you actually get a job creating video games you'll be able to hop right in and know how these types of programs.. These are programs most of us wouldn't be able to afford, so if you try teaching you're self then its likley you'll be useing an inferior program compared to what the actually developers are useing.

Plus how do you expect to get in the buisness if you dont know anybody? The people i'll meet at Expression's will more then likley be responsible for my first job as a video game designer or possibley the teachers (most who work at pixar and other big companys) will be able to help you out with those types of connections..

Unless you already know people who create video games for a living (which you said you dont, and i dont either) then you really should go to school and learn the shit and put you're self out there..

Seriously creating video games is my dream, and playing them is my passion.. I don't wanna half ass anything to get to that dream.. Even if that means takein out huge loans to pay for my college or saveing up every last penny i make at work.

May 10, 2002
If you have a pc with good specs, I suggest you join the game modding scene and start working on level design.
That's EXACTLY what I'm doing right now. Got an XPS system with with UT3 editor. I'm in the industry already, but you can never have too many tools.

UED 3 (Unreal Editor 3) is pretty simple to use plus you can script bots, cutscenes, and I'm sure more shit that I haven't had a chance to fuck with yet.

There's so much info out there in the mod communities, you can learn how to use the tools in a couple of weeks. From there, it's all about using your imagination.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I'm all about do it yourself. I don't knock schools, but you're going to a community college before expression? why? expression is a whole lot of money and I've heard bad things about those who graduate and have just spent $50,000 and now can't find a job. Don't get me wrong tho, I've been wanting to fuck with expression for hella long, and if I had the money to throw away or didn't have a kid I probably would've (for sound tho)

but my point was you should be making your own games now on your own. you might make something that'll fund your way thru college, or you might realize that you don't need it, or you might get stuck and know exactly what you need from school to get past it. I'm not saying don't go to school, I'm saying there's information out there without it.

with all that said, I'm still wanna fuck with a class to make programs, but I'll probably not and end up trying to figure the shit out myself

Feb 12, 2003
www.soundclick.com
I'm all about do it yourself. I don't knock schools, but you're going to a community college before expression? why? expression is a whole lot of money and I've heard bad things about those who graduate and have just spent $50,000 and now can't find a job. Don't get me wrong tho, I've been wanting to fuck with expression for hella long, and if I had the money to throw away or didn't have a kid I probably would've (for sound tho)

but my point was you should be making your own games now on your own. you might make something that'll fund your way thru college, or you might realize that you don't need it, or you might get stuck and know exactly what you need from school to get past it. I'm not saying don't go to school, I'm saying there's information out there without it.

with all that said, I'm still wanna fuck with a class to make programs, but I'll probably not and end up trying to figure the shit out myself
Like i said i'am only going to DVC to get my General Education done.. I can take it at Expressions, but it takes almost a full year to finish, and that'd be like throwing away 20grand cuz i can take the same General Education classes at DVC for $36 a class lol..

And if i had a good computer i would be makeing my own programs.. Part of the reason i'am going to Expressions is because they have top of the line equipment, computers, and programs that i can work with.. So i can leave Expressions and get right into the field able to use the programs that developers are actually useing to make games right now.. Right now all my computer can really do is make cs:s maps and mods and such, which is fun, but not getting me any closer to my goal.

I'am not knockin tryin to learn it this stuff by you're self.. but i think going to school would be a whole lot better.. you get the hands on learning and more then likley the first job you'll score in the buisness will be by the connections you made at Expression's.. I don't know why you're friends never made anything out of it, but Expression's actually has a good rate of getting you into you're chosen field after graduation.. I think i read it was 80% on their website or something like that..

Either way i'am doing this to try and make a living at it.. Creating video games at home by you're self is a good way of getting started i'm sure, but i want a salary to come along with all my hard work and to get somethin like that you need to actually be working with a company, and to get you're foot thru the front door you should start off by going to school and meeting people and makeing connections with people that are trying to do the same thing you are.. That's a big part of why i'am going, to actually make connections to aid me in finding a job once i graduate.

Edit: shit i had no idea that people on the siccness wanted to do the same thing i do.. that's hella coo.. Defy if you do decide to go to Expressions let me know man we should hook up and blow a blunt b4 our classes haha

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
lol....I live close to expression anyways.....I think emma go there or went there....lol

I just heard that the rate was lower but I don't know for sure. I'd like to go to expression but I can't give up 2 1/2 years like that. I need to take a quick course or something to get the jist of shit. I will be taking a programming course soon as soon as I find a good one