Cost of beats

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 7, 2004
www.myspace.com
I was wondering, how much you think big mainstream rappers (not sucessfull as 50 but somone who would sell as much as jadakiss) pay per beat? Say one of them contacted you for a beat and wanted to buy it upfront, how much would you charge them? How much are they willing to pay? I kno that it depends on if it goes on a mixtape or an album, but for those 2 scenarios how much would you sell it for, and how much do they go for normaly? I kno someof y'all have connections maybe you can answer this question for me..

Mar 22, 2004
I know if you're a new producer and never did any major work , you're looking at 3-7 g's for a track paid for by a major label.

Depending on how popular the artist is . There's alot of politics involved too. You could have a hot track and still not get on cause you're a nobody.

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
"I was wondering, how much you think big mainstream rappers (not sucessfull as 50 but somone who would sell as much as jadakiss) pay per beat?"

im pretty sure they gotta shell out $50,000-150,000 for singles produced by whoever the popular producer is...
as far as lesser known producers or producers who have cooled off...i'd say less than $10,000

"how much would you sell it for"
for a mixtape i would probably wouldn't charge jada...as long as he mentions me on his verse or somewhere in the song

for a jada album i wouldn't want to do just one beat...i'd try to do at least 8 tracks on his album and probably only charge him $25,000

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
@ Vince V you said: Depending on how popular the artist is . There's alot of politics involved too. You could have a hot track and still not get on cause you're a nobody.

Myself and another well known bay area producer just went through the EXACT same thing on the SAME project. We couldn't get our serve on because the MAIN PRODUCER wanted ALL the production/composing shit because the more he had the higher his BONUS was. Talk about politics.....

macness said:

Ill charge Jada an arm and a leg! If that boi wants a beat from me and can get it from any producer out there, he will get charged like any producer out there plus publishing and royalties!

LMAO! DAMN RIGHT! I wouldn't set shit in stone if I were you I'd ask a SIMPLE question.

Whats your budget?

:hgk:

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
"also the way these labels are promoting producers nowadays like they were the artists in a sense making people believe just because you got a track done by this producer the album is a hit"

thats true...but sometimes by knowing who produced the album you kinda have a better idea of what the album might sound like, which might influence your purchace.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
well your not selling it to jadakiss right you are selling it to the executive producer of the project or whoever is handling the budget of the project right? enlighten me, im no expert but i always thought they set a budjet for an album give said rapper an advance and he sees no cash off the album till expenses are recouped?

personally i wouldnt charge an arm and a leg to get my stuff on a rapper of jadakisses caliber just cuz it would be great promotion for myself if i happened to be one of his radio singles.

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
personally i wouldnt charge an arm and a leg to get my stuff on a rapper of jadakisses caliber just cuz it would be great promotion for myself if i happened to be one of his radio singles.
usually, the radio singles are left in the scott storch, timbaland, lil jon, kanye categories tho... not sayin it wont happen, but its a race for singles in the game.. people are only focused on a handful of the TOP producers for the singles

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Sav_Scorcese said:
Timberland is getting half a mill or moore for his beats easy, Jay Z was slanging 16 to Dr. Dre for the same price.

Can you name me a couple of Timb beats that went for $500,000? Does that include a royalty, or is that his standard take and btw where did you learn this info from? I've never heard of him getting $500k for a beat and to be perfectly honest for a producer to get that much the budget for the entire album must be MULTI MILLION. Is that $500k taken from record one or net rate? That number is NOT realistic. The artist would have had to receive an advance in the multi million range (very rare) AND the artist would have to slang MILLIONS of records just to recoup that $500k.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
jayda650 said:
well your not selling it to jadakiss right you are selling it to the executive producer of the project or whoever is handling the budget of the project right?
That depends on the deal. Yes or NO depending on the many variables. An example of this is if I were to slang a track to Jada and he had an all in deal.

enlighten me, im no expert but i always thought they set a budjet for an album give said rapper an advance and he sees no cash off the album till expenses are recouped?
If you were given $250k to record with and you only used 175k whata re you gonna do with the leftover skrill?

personally i wouldnt charge an arm and a leg to get my stuff on a rapper of jadakisses caliber just cuz it would be great promotion for myself if i happened to be one of his radio singles

and miss out on all that publishing money?????????? BTW chances are if he doesn't recoup the recording costs YOU don't get ANY loot.........unless you get breaded for every record sold (record one).

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
^i was thinking not charging an arm and a leg since im just a small fry and a record exec could easily tell me to blow it up my ass then i get nothing and no song on the album. I was thinking since Im a nobody in the biz and they are the big time record company at best i could get a good 5 grand off them tops it would be cool if they gave me a percentage off the royalties but they wouldnt give that to a little guy like me, only to scott scorch, dre types who are guaranteed to sell units just by theie name alone. Id be tickled fuckin pink to get 5 gs anyways!, they guys i do stuff with now im lucky to get any kind of money!

BTW Heresy your stuff is really good, who have you produced for? I never saw your name on any credits so i thought maybe you work under another name since you hav said you have worked around the likes of Rick Rock and what not, just wondering.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
^i was thinking not charging an arm and a leg since im just a small fry and a record exec could easily tell me to blow it up my ass then i get nothing and no song on the album.
Universal was told to blow it up their ass when they wanted to buy songs from the TOP KAT album.

www.topkatmusic.com

The songs sounded good enough for them to want for THEIR artists but they want more BUZZ from us....ok fuck you to. :devious:

I was thinking since Im a nobody in the biz and they are the big time record company at best i could get a good 5 grand off them tops it would be cool if they gave me a percentage off the royalties but they wouldnt give that to a little guy like me

You have to FIGHT with these people and at the end of the day if they like your product and want to cash you out they WILL offer you something cool. Having a MANAGER shop the material for you will earn you more bargaining power if the MANAGER is credible. The thing about royalties is WHERE are they coming from, HOW are they coming and WHEN are they coming? If you don't know these things and don't have the slightest idea of how they work of course you'll get denied. If you go in talking about "I need 12%" Of course you'll get laughed at. 12% of what? Each record sold? Each record sold at the net rate? 12% of the artists all in rate? 12% of the total album sales or 12% of the ARTIST share? BIG DIFFERENCE!

What seperates YOU from the people you listed is WHERE, HOW and WHEN. YOU can get a royalty but DON'T expect to get a royalty where you are paid for every unit sold WITHOUT the artist recouping the recording budget.

Id be tickled fuckin pink to get 5 gs anyways!, they guys i do stuff with now im lucky to get any kind of money!

I feel you but you should never short change yourself. If you feel your shit is worth a certain price start HIGH and let the other person go low. A simple question "WHATS YOUR BUDGET?" will let you know what you're dealing with.

BTW Heresy your stuff is really good, who have you produced for? I never saw your name on any credits so i thought maybe you work under another name since you hav said you have worked around the likes of Rick Rock and what not, just wondering.

Yeah I do work under another name and that name is registered with bmi. HERESY and any works under that name are hooked up with a.s.c.a.p. I don't work around rick I work around 6 fingaz and mo-mo (<--mustard & mayonaise). He (mo mo) made a bunch of tracks for 40's new album at my spot but I don't know if 40 picked em or not. My nephew is in the Federation but I don't slide 1 inch with those guys. IT'S PERSONAL *AND* IT'S BUSINESS. I'll leave it at that. The last BIG name I worked with was capcom yes CAPCOM and that money came in not too long ago. It wasn't for a game but for a presentation or something like that. The last bay rap artist I've made music for that has been RELEASED was the FUNK ON SIGHT 2: RIDERS SINCE BIRTH compilation. I made the music for the title track. Unreleased shit I have work on the NUTT-N NICE (features teh federation, turf talk, nonymo etc etc) album. I think they are in the works of being put out under the cat who's putting out Vital.

Production wise I helped produce the TOP KAT album. I didn't make the music but I helped produce the album and I'm almost finished mixing the album. You can catch the single on the ON THE BLOCK SHOW (kmel) and you can hear the single on DJ BACKSIDES show (also on kmel along with the drop we had him do). It's also on the 95 live compilation www.95live.com and it's SONG OF THE DAY right now (monday march 21st) on garageband.com

Thats all under ASCAP. The bmi stuff is where I actually put in the most work but....thats for me to keep to myself. I will let you in on a little secret however. A lot of bay rap HAS been through my hands, meaning I have thouched it at some point in time. Whether that be plugging the label or artist @ soundworks and prairie sun OR getting paid to help engineer the tracks.

ps the last work I've done in a big lab was here http://www.sfsoundworks.com/ studio A was used to record guitars and keys while the guys used studio B to mix and record overdubs.

Dec 7, 2004
www.myspace.com
Thanx for spreading your knowledge Heresy, much appreaciated....i got another question in regards to percentage profit....Would it be logical or acceptable to, instead of gettin up front money, take a certain percentage of the album sales, for example, say the beat u wanna sell is gonna be on an album that has 17 tracks...so your collabo w/ the artist is 1/17th of the album, since the beat is 1/2 the song, you would get about 3% of net profit gained by the artist u colaborated with...Would that scenario be acceptable or would most turn that offer down?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Your question puts YOU in a jam because you're the one taking the risk now. WHERE are the royalties coming from? It's best for YOU (producer) to have the LABEL pay the royalty and not have it coming from the artist. With your scenario WHEN is the loot coming? How does your royalty fluctuate when the price of the cd changes OR when the artist has sold a lot of records?

Controlled composition? What exactly is the artist net rate? Do you intend to CO-PUBLISH the song? What about the compulsory/mechanical?

You better look into EVERY question I just posed BEFORE you sign the paperwork. If you know damn well the artist has a lousy track record and won't recoup recording cost you should try to get as much money now and have the label pay the royalty. Thats what I would do. I would also ask for more publishing but if they don't give it to you they don't give it to you. Whats the worse they can tell you? NO? It doesn't hurt to ask, but no up front money is insane if the artist doesnt recoup.

A CLOSED MOUTH DOESN'T GET FED.

ps what about free goods? are you paid on those?