computer broken, help?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 5, 2006
crazy707 said:
If it won't even boot up then you might be screwed. You can try the repair windows repair disk. Or you could slave the dell hd and hopefully get all of you info that you need. You would have to crack open the case and follow the wire that's connected to you hd(in the compaq). There should be two sets of connectors, one that's already plugged into you hd and an extra set. Take the dell hd and plug it into the other set(There will be two, one big and one small). Make sure that you set the jumper on the dell to reflect slave(there should be a diagram on the hd to show you which setting is slave). When the PC comes up you should see the dell hd under my computer.

YEH IT WONT EVEN BOOT. IT STAYS AT THE BLACK SCREEN WITH THE DELL LOGO IN THE MIDDLE AND IT HAS THE 2 OPTIONS AT THE TOP RIGHT FOR F2 OR F12 AND THE WHITE LOAD BAR BELOW THE DELL SYMBOL. WHEN I HIT F2, IT JUST SAYS ENTERING MENU BUT NUTHIN HAPPENS. WHEN I HIT F12 IT JUST BEEPS. THE WHITE BAR LOADS ALL THE WAY TO THE END BUT NUTHIN HAPPENS. I OPENED IT AND GOT THE HARDDRIVE OUT BUT I JUST FOUND OUT I DONT HAVE THE OLD TOWER IN THE STORAGE ANYMORE. LOL BEFORE THE DESKTOP STOPPED WORKING, THE CD DRIVE DIDNT WORK. IF I WENT UNDER MY COMPUTER, IT WOULDNT SHOW ANYTHING IS CONNECTED BUT IT CAN STILL OPEN THE TRAY WHEN I PRESS THE BUTTON. PLUS I CANT FIND THE PURPLE REFORMAT DISC. IM SCREWED RIGHT? I WONT BE ABLE TO GET THE DELL BACK UP AND RUNNING?

Mar 15, 2006
707REPRESENTA said:
YEH IT WONT EVEN BOOT. IT STAYS AT THE BLACK SCREEN WITH THE DELL LOGO IN THE MIDDLE AND IT HAS THE 2 OPTIONS AT THE TOP RIGHT FOR F2 OR F12 AND THE WHITE LOAD BAR BELOW THE DELL SYMBOL. WHEN I HIT F2, IT JUST SAYS ENTERING MENU BUT NUTHIN HAPPENS. WHEN I HIT F12 IT JUST BEEPS. THE WHITE BAR LOADS ALL THE WAY TO THE END BUT NUTHIN HAPPENS. I OPENED IT AND GOT THE HARDDRIVE OUT BUT I JUST FOUND OUT I DONT HAVE THE OLD TOWER IN THE STORAGE ANYMORE. LOL BEFORE THE DESKTOP STOPPED WORKING, THE CD DRIVE DIDNT WORK. IF I WENT UNDER MY COMPUTER, IT WOULDNT SHOW ANYTHING IS CONNECTED BUT IT CAN STILL OPEN THE TRAY WHEN I PRESS THE BUTTON. PLUS I CANT FIND THE PURPLE REFORMAT DISC. IM SCREWED RIGHT? I WONT BE ABLE TO GET THE DELL BACK UP AND RUNNING?
If you call Dell (probably a nightmare) with the model of your computer, they should be able to ship you a new disc.

Mar 15, 2006
707REPRESENTA said:
KOO, BUT IF IT WONT EVEN LOAD TO START UP, THEN THERES REALLY NO POINT. LOL
Windows doesn't have to start. You put the disc in before you start up the computer, then it will load the windows recovery from the disc.

Feb 5, 2006
Bubble Hash said:
Windows doesn't have to start. You put the disc in before you start up the computer, then it will load the windows recovery from the disc.
IF I GET A NEW CD-ROM AND FIND THE DISC I'MA TRY IT. IM THINKIN IT WOULDNT EVEN LOAD THOUGH CUZ IT WOULD FREEZE BY THE TIME I CAN EVEN HIT F12 OR WUTEVER TO HAVE IT BOOT THE CD

Jan 28, 2005
^^^But you have to set the boot menu to boot from CD, and his cd drive doesn't work, and he said that he can't get into the menu...707Representa, see if you can slave it to another comp and get the data. Do you have a friend who has a PC that you could try this with?

Mar 15, 2006
707REPRESENTA said:
IF I GET A NEW CD-ROM AND FIND THE DISC I'MA TRY IT. IM THINKIN IT WOULDNT EVEN LOAD THOUGH CUZ IT WOULD FREEZE BY THE TIME I CAN EVEN HIT F12 OR WUTEVER TO HAVE IT BOOT THE CD
I know this sounds strange, but if it's a dying harddrive problem you can put it in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer for a while. Put the harddrive back in while it's cold and see if it boots. If it does boot, it wont stay runnin forever, but you would have a chance to grab anything you need off there and you would know for sure it's a harddrive problem.

Jan 28, 2005
707REPRESENTA said:
It's sounds screwed. The boot-up menu has nothing to do with the OS, it's the BIOS. Try and reset the BIOS by pulling out the battery and letting it sit for a while. This MIGHT help. If not then you're better off getting a new HDD

Feb 5, 2006
crazy707 said:
^^^But you have to set the boot menu to boot from CD, and his cd drive doesn't work, and he said that he can't get into the menu...707Representa, see if you can slave it to another comp and get the data. Do you have a friend who has a PC that you could try this with?

MY FOLKS DONT HAVE COMPUTERS. LOL ALL BAD. IF I GET A TOWER SOMEHOW, IF I HOOK UP THE HD ONTO THE OTHER TOWER, IS THERE A CHANCE IT COULD FUCK UP THAT COMPUTER? I HAD A VIRUS ON THAT BITCH

Jan 28, 2005
Nope. When you slave a hd, the comp sees it as another drive, just like an external. Putting it into an empty tower won't work because you'll get the same error. LOL...You're srewed buddy!

May 1, 2003
Read this:
You receive an "NTLDR is missing" error message when you start your computer

View products that this article applies to.
function loadTOCNode(){}Article ID:320397Last Review:May 14, 2007Revision:8.4
This article was previously published under Q320397

SYMPTOMS

loadTOCNode(1, 'symptoms');After you copy many files to the root folder of a boot volume that uses the NTFS file system, you may receive the following error message the next time that you restart the computer: NTLDR is missing
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.
If you remove the files that you copied to the root folder, the master file table (MFT) allocation index does not reduce to its original size.
Back to the top

CAUSE

loadTOCNode(1, 'cause');This problem may occur if the MFT root folder is severely fragmented. If the MFT root folder contains many files, the MFT may become so fragmented that an additional allocation index is created. Because files are mapped alphabetically in the allocation indexes, the NTLDR file may be pushed to the second allocation index. When this occurs, you receive the error message that is described in the "Symptoms" section of this article.

Typically, files are not written to the root folder. This condition may occur if a program regularly creates and removes temporary files in the root folder, or if many files are copied to the root folder by mistake.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION

loadTOCNode(1, 'resolution');To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the Bcupdate2.exe utility. For more information about how to contact Microsoft Product Support Services, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support)
Notice the Green Highlight?
Now onto Google: Bcupdate2.exe
Which leads to here:
http://www.autourdupc.com/Logiciel/NT4/BCupdate/bcupdate.exe
Instructiones:
First get a bootable floppy from here:

How to use:-
1]Download the utility.
2]Create a boot floppy disk.See:-http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595/#XSLTH3131121122120121120120
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994/EN-US/
3]Boot from the disk and then run the utility from the command line against the affected drive:-
a:\bcupdate.exe c:

Apr 25, 2002
www.youtube.com
@707representa

try pressing CTRL F11

if you own a dell I am almost positive this is there hidden command to boot into your recovory partition and load into Norton ghost and repartition your entire system. They only tell you about it through there support though. You will loose everything but at this point i dont think you care. Its worth a shot. This might not work with your system as the hard drive would have had to be partitioned with a recovery partition. try it out and let me know if it worked.

Feb 5, 2006
xraidedloc831 said:
@707

try pressing CTRL F11

if you own a dell I am almost positive this is there hidden command to boot into your recovory partition and load into Norton ghost and repartition your entire system. They only tell you about it through there support though. You will loose everything but at least point i dont think you care. Its worth a shot. This might not work with your system as the hard drive would have had to be partitioned with a recovery partition. try it out and let me know if it worked.

KOO, I'LL TRY IT, WILL IT WORK IF I TOOK OUT THE HARDDRIVE FIRST?

Feb 5, 2006
DIDNT WORK FOR ME MAYNE. I HELD DOWN CTRL+F11 AND IT BROUGHT ME TO ANOTHER SCREEN THEN SHOWED A FEW SPECS AND SAID "KEYBOARD FAILURE" BUT MY KEYBOARD IS CONNECTED. IF I JUST PRESS IT, NUTHIN HAPPENS