Common - Most underrated MC of all time?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Is Common Sense the MOST underrated MC of all time?

• YES

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • NO

Votes: 31 68.9%
  • WHO?

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
Dec 2, 2004
i have to say all of my dudes at school give common his props. these are the same cats that said ras kass is a low budget rapper. common is getting respect on the underground and mainstream level. plus i think everybody saw his greatness when he did that new years eve freestyle on mtv. common tore it up for 06'. the man is simple one of the most original mcs/rapper whatever you wanna call him. common is one of my favorites. i don't think he's underated.

Dec 9, 2005
Hell yeah he's underrated...as far as general consensus goes. Dude has spit some of the dopest shit I've ever heard...I think Ressurection is a classic...and 'BE' will most definitely be...but you know it has to stand the test of time...and so far IMO it has.

We need more artists like Common in Hip Hop IMO. Cause ' Real rappers are hard to find....like a remote'

I don't know about most underrated...but he's definitely one of the most.

Jun 27, 2005
KrypticFlowz said:
Resurrection, Like water for chocolate, and BE ...

Classic?
Can I borrow a dollar - classic

One Day It Will All Make Sense - solid (not classic)

Resurrection = classic

Like Water For Chocolte - hell god damn naw (not classic)

Electric Circus - not bad (not classic)

Be- most overrated common record ever (not classic)

Aside from his first two albums, he's been highly overrated by damn near everybody.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
yes, he's getting alot more recognition now....but I still feel he's underrated....IMO he's one of the best MC's of all time....at least top 10

May 8, 2002
MOREBASS said:
We need more artists like Common in Hip Hop IMO. Cause ' Real rappers are hard to find....like a remote'

I don't know about most underrated...but he's definitely one of the most.

Real talk.

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
BayRider04 said:
no Gift of Gab is the most underrated MC of all time
listening to "fourth dimensional rocketship going up" as i write this so gotta give you props on that first of all...

but onto the subject. as much as i cant totally disagree its hard to put a gold/platinum artist into any underrated category. obviously BET and MTV dont think he is underrated so dont think why anybody else would think otherwise. might be underrated to a certain section of people (like people who frequent this site) but overall i would disagree

Dec 9, 2005
I don't see what record sales has to do with being over/underrated. Emcee skills don't sell records and I think thats pretty apparent...he's mastered the art of making good songs without sacrificing lyrical content IMO.

:ab:

blunt_hogg559
Jul 6, 2005
I'm a common fan but No, he's not overrated....he fits in the game just about right for what his songs are....and BE was nice...Like Water for chocolater, I can play that one all the way through, so....I guess it just boils down to opinion....
mos Def, "What's Beef" or some thing like that, REALest song ever...!

Feb 5, 2005

HIZ ALBUM SELLz TAKE HIM OUT OF DA "UNDERRATED" CATEGORY...

THERE R MANY MORE UNDERRATED MCz OUT THERE WHO HAVE YET 2 GET ANY CREDIT ....

- GEEzUz

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
nob0die said:
i think Mos Def is more underrated that Common.. and lyrically... Mos would eat Common alive
that was a joke, right? mos def is a decent rapper, but as far as eating anybody? I dunno about that one.....especially common....nothing mos def has done or will ever do can even come close to Resurrection. Ever. And eating? shit, The Bitch In Yoo is one of the tightest diss tracks ever. Imagine a part 2