Collectors Question

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2006
To my fellow bay rap collectors(and Sac) I have 2 questions regarding a potential bootleg.

first is the 2nd press of IMP-no prisoners on tape. I recently purchased one off ebay and it looks odd to me. One the tape itself is a white label and looks faded some whereas the cover is so clean and crisp it seems to not be legit.
Here's the link:
HTML:
[URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/I-M-P-no-prisoners-ILL-MANNERED-POSSE-cassette-RARE-RAP-NM-/290867199601?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=OA0uNsdGfwDPSbepAHsxfbIh7lA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/I-M-P-no-prisoners-ILL-MANNERED-POSSE-cassette-RARE-RAP-NM-/290867199601?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=OA0uNsdGfwDPSbepAHsxfbIh7lA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc[/URL]
2nd issue is my 24deep OG cd that I bought last year.....Ill have to get a pic up of that but the printing on the tray card and the booklet seem to be bleeding, like it's a shitty copy doesn't look as crisp as say the og psycho active. I guess does anyone know of any known bootlegs for that cd specifically? the cd has the correct ringcode but it's just the cover and tray card that are suspect.

Thanks for any info or thoughts.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2003
The photo on the cover of my 24 deep is pretty poor too, but I think it was printed like that. Matter of fact I think I asked myself the same question when I got mine. I'm not worried about that since all borders are crisp and sharp. If the cover was a scan the whole cover art would look shitty not only the picture. I haven't seen any bootleg of that CD either.

Props: Blaze1
Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
Do you have any idea how many different "OG's" there are of both the CD's/tapes in question (or any CD in general)?

No bar code would be a good indication....

If you want real OG's then collect promos - they're always OG's, they're the ones that go to the radio station(s).

Funny part is that collectors want nothing to do with promos but said promos are always OG's, besides they're more rare than OG's because the cover is usually stamped "promotional use only." When you see that stamp the CD came directly from the record company that produced the album.

Jan 6, 2003
I don't mind if a CD is promo, I don't mind it being a cutout either because in both cases I know the CD is not a bootleg. It might not look that good but I prefer a cutout or stamped cover instead of a release I doubt is authorized.

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
I don't mind if a CD is promo, I don't mind it being a cutout either because in both cases I know the CD is not a bootleg. It might not look that good but I prefer a cutout or stamped cover instead of a release I doubt is authorized.
The funny part is that now days guys are making their own CD's and skipping the distribution process and would rather do it themselves (especially local releases)... Locally I buy directly from the artist themselves then turn around and sell it... These guys are selling their own shit straight out there trunk or selling it store to store at 5 at a time. They use sticky labels on their CD's and photocopy their album covers.

When I sell that shit on ebay or whatever some cats get twisted and think I'm selling them a reproduction - when I'm not. That is the OG straight from the artist. Shit, most of the time the inserts contain their fucking phone number or are autographed.

I suppose my point here is that collectors are picky as hell. They don't want a promo and believe every dope artist has an "OG" that isn't printed on a CDR.

Apr 25, 2006
Do you have any idea how many different "OG's" there are of both the CD's/tapes in question (or any CD in general)?

No bar code would be a good indication....
well I knew when I bought the IMP tape that it was the second release based off the bar code. I actually already have the og w/o the bar code but that tape is a clear tape. The track listings are reversed between the tapes i noticed but I guess I was more inquiring about the authenticity of the white label version and that crisp white cover....no worries tho

Apr 25, 2006
Im on the fence with promo's. I did always believe that they were the real og's based off them coming out of the record label, but sometimes they were malicious on their drillings. Cracking cases and drilling through the back tray and the cover. It's one of those bitter sweet things. I have many promos in my record/tape/cd collection that I dont go out of my way to replace with a non promo but if I find an non promo version for cheap I would most likely get it.

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
well I knew when I bought the IMP tape that it was the second release based off the bar code. I actually already have the og w/o the bar code but that tape is a clear tape. The track listings are reversed between the tapes i noticed but I guess I was more inquiring about the authenticity of the white label version and that crisp white cover....no worries tho
To be honest, it is so hard to determine what's an OG. Most "OG's" are considered the first nationally or regional release, when many times the same artist released the album on the streets before that with limited production. I mean a tape with a white label on it may very well be an OG off the streets.

This is a perfect example: Amazon.com: Foundation [Explicit]: Kev Green 420 Outlaaws: Music

That^^ is not the OG - that is a CDbaby disk. The only reason why I know that is because I bought the OG from my hood where Kev Green is from wayy before it was ever on CDbaby.

That is another good example of an artist bootleging their own CD.

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
Im on the fence with promo's. I did always believe that they were the real og's based off them coming out of the record label, but sometimes they were malicious on their drillings. Cracking cases and drilling through the back tray and the cover. It's one of those bitter sweet things. I have many promos in my record/tape/cd collection that I dont go out of my way to replace with a non promo but if I find an non promo version for cheap I would most likely get it.
Well, I don't like the ones that have the punch hole through the bar code or the saw mark because anyone can do that.

The OG promos are the ones that have a gold or silver stamp mark on the front cover that says "for promotional uses only." If the CD has the stamp that is for sure an OG.

Sicc OG
Sep 22, 2007
Although promo often indicates og i think there are exceptions. I've seen promos of the priority iceland and other 2nd pressings. I've also seen promo copies of cd reissue of older vinyl/tape only albums. (Non-rap)

I personally dont mind promos.

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
Although promo often indicates og i think there are exceptions. I've seen promos of the priority iceland and other 2nd pressings. I've also seen promo copies of cd reissue of older vinyl/tape only albums. (Non-rap)

I personally dont mind promos.
Only when an artist is signed generally does an official record company "OG" promo exist.

All I have been saying is that if it is a promo it is certainly an "OG" from that said label. Without question there are "OG street versions" for just about every album that exists.... Those are the real gems.

I love promos, sadly they don't fetch as much on the market as the typical OG's would... I think it's kinda weird IMO, because promos are most likely 10-100x more rare than the regular OG's. Of course I'm talking about the stamped ones not the ones with the saw mark and punched holes in the bar code. I like those too but I suppose I don't value them as much.

IMO, anything that has an embossed stamp on the front (especially in gold or silver) that says "for promotional uses only property of ______ records" is certainly a gem and without question an OG.

IMO, promos are the first CD's off the press. Radio stations get them before the CD even drops (at least they did before MP3's and high speed internet connections)...