ColdBlooded' Weekly Movie Recommendation

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
INFAMY

CB's thoughts: Well directed. Good soundtrack. Cool if you have the slightest interest in graffiti, but for a total novice with little to no knowledge of the culture it might be hard to understand what they are talking about sometimes. Maybe they could have expounded on the terms a little bit more. It would have been nice if they went into the side effects (medically) that spray paint has on people - they just touched on it in passing. It was cool that they included the graffiti guerilla guy to give a different side of things. I thought it was really cool that towards the end of the movie I figured out that I have seen this one guy's tag on freight trains just going past at a railroad crossing waiting in my car before - and he's thousands of miles away in freight yard putting his tag on cars. I’ll be keeping a closer eye out at passing trains from now on.

Would make for a great hip-hop triple feature with The Freshest Kids & Scratch.

I’d say it is Must See viewing for anyone on a Hip Hop related site like this.

From Doug Pray the guy who directed "Scratch" INFAMY is an intense journey into the dangerous lives and obsessed minds of six of America’s most prolific graffiti artists. The movie takes you deep into the world of street legends SABER, TOOMER, JASE, CLAW, EARSNOT, and ENEM.

With brutal honesty, humor and charisma, these artists reveal why they are so willing to risk everything to spray paint their cities with "tags," “throwups,” and full-color murals. You'll also meet Joe "THE GRAFFITI GUERRILLA" Connolly, a notorious “buffer” who paints out graffiti on his neighborhood’s walls with a vengeance matched only by those who vandalized them. From the streets of the South Bronx to the solitude of a San Francisco tunnel, from high atop a Hollywood billboard to North Philadelphia for a lesson in "Philly-style tags," from the Mexican border to a Cleveland train yard, INFAMY doesn't analyze or glorify graffiti... it takes you there and brings it to life.

"You get a kid, and you bust him in his school for graffiti; and you think you got him in trouble. When actuality what you just did was made him a hero in front of his peers. Now he's big time; now he's hardcore; you add validity to him. "

Chree

Medicated
Dec 7, 2005
They needa dig up the old thread from open forum, move it here, and add this to it, there was so many great movies in the old one, i think the dopest recommendation u had was pans labyrinth, shit had me trippin hard lol

Feb 9, 2003
You won't make it a habit of simply copying and pasting the synopsis will you? I'd like your take on the pro's and con's.

Apr 25, 2002
This week was tough. I think I watched about 6 movies I haven’t seen before hoping that one of them would be good enough to recommend. Instead I’ve got two movies as one recommendation. Hopefully combining two into one will make up for it. Basically they are good companion films and I like them both more when viewed together than individually.

Public Enemies

www.imdb.com/title/tt1152836/

Public Enemies is a 2009 American crime film directed by Michael Mann. Set during the Great Depression, it focuses on the story of FBI agent Melvin Purvis's attempt to stop criminals John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson, and Pretty Boy Floyd. Christian Bale plays FBI agent Purvis, Johnny Depp plays Dillinger, Marion Cotillard plays Dillinger's girlfriend Billie Frechette, Channing Tatum plays Floyd and Giovanni Ribisi plays Alvin Karpis.

CB's Thoughts: Didn’t really like the movie as I watched it. I hate the cheap little hand held camera style that is so popular in movies since Traffic. Zoom in and then bounce the camera as much as possible. I hate it as a technique and I hate it because it makes me sick. I was unimpressed by Christian Bale yet again and don’t understand why he was in the movie. He brought nothing constructive to his role and it probably could have been played better by someone else for less money. Being a fan of Heat I expected more of the shoot outs in the film. I felt like the bank robbery scenes were more like music videos and contained little suspense or drama. After leaving the film and reflecting back on it I liked the general feel of the period that the film brought out. I think the actors look the era. Having been to many of the towns and areas the film took place I was pleased with the look from that respect as well. I thought Depp was good and though I could have done without his strange “accent” I was generally impressed with his role. Marion Cotillard was good too. The supporting actors did a good job (it was funny seeing Stephen Dorff in this and him not getting any lines).

Bonnie and Clyde

www.imdb.com/title/tt0061418/

Bonnie and Clyde is a 1967 American crime film about Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, the bank robbers who operated in the central United States during the Great Depression. The film was directed by Arthur Penn, and stars Warren Beatty as Clyde Barrow and Faye Dunaway as Bonnie Parker. The screenplay was written by David Newman and Robert Benton, with Robert Towne and Beatty providing uncredited contributions to the script.
Bonnie and Clyde is considered a landmark film, and is regarded as one of the first films of the New Hollywood era, in that it broke many taboos and was popular with the younger generation. Its success motivated other filmmakers to be more forward about presenting sex and violence in their films.

CB's Thoughts: If you consider the budget and the time the film was made the shoot outs in this film are far better than Public Enemies. Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty were both very good. The story is a little slow at parts. About as lacking in historical accuracy, as far as the history of the characters, as Public Enemies – but if you try to forget they are actual historical figures and watch it as a fictional period piece it is much better. Should probably be seen, if for no other reason, because of the significance it has had on movie making.

Apr 25, 2002
giovanni ribisi probably looks like his character the most out of all the actors and unlike some of the other supporting actors he actually has lines.

I'd wait to rent. It doesn't need to be seen in the theater.

Alvin Karpis:

Apr 25, 2002
The Fall

www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/

The Fall is a 2006 film by Tarsem Singh, starring Lee Pace, Catinca Untaru, and Justine Waddell.[1] It is based on the screenplay of the 1981 Bulgarian film Yo Ho Ho by Valeri Petrov.

CB's thoughts: Anyone I know who has a nice big high def TV home theater set up that I know I tell to get The Fall. The movie is visually fantastic. it was the first feature film we watched on DVD when we got our 52" plasma and I don't know if any other have been able to live up to how good this one looked. I also enjoyed the story and was moved by the ending. Though I can understand how some people would not be all that entertained by the story I don't think anyone can deny how beautiful the film is. Also there is some subtitle reading involved for those of you that don't enjoy that kind of thing beware.

Roy Walker (Lee Pace), an early 20th century Hollywood stuntman, lands in the hospital after performing a dangerous stunt to impress his girlfriend. Bedridden, distraught, and suicidal after losing her to the star of the film, he befriends fellow patient Alexandria (Catinca Untaru), a young immigrant girl with a broken arm. He enchants her with a fantastical tale about five heroes: an Indian, an ex-slave named Otta Benga (see Ota Benga), an Italian explosives expert called Luigi, a highly fictionalized version of Charles Darwin accompanied by a monkey sidekick named Wallace (after Alfred Russel Wallace), and a masked bandit. An evil Governor Odious has committed an offense against each of the five, and they all seek revenge. As the line between fact and fantasy blurs, real-life people begin to populate Roy's fictitious stories and the stories themselves become a more collaborative tale to which Alexandria also contributes.

Apr 25, 2002
A David Lynch movie rated G? A David Lynch Disney movie? CB recommending a G rated Disney movie?

Yes

I liked this movie for mainly two reasons I've lived generally in the same part of the country the film takes place and it makes me appreciate living some place so pretty. The movie does a good job of highlighting the area's beauty. The second main reason is because I'm a brother. Brother as in I have a male sibling. The main character of the film goes on his journey to see his ill brother whom he hasn't seen in years because of a fight they had. But because his brother is sick he goes on this treck to see him and reconcile before they are both gone. So it is something I can relate to.

You may not like the movie because there isn't really any action and you might find it boring. You may like it just for that reason though - because it is straight forward and simple. But if you've ever lived in the upper midwest or like me you have a brother you might want to check this one out.

The Straight Story

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166896/

The Straight Story is a 1999 film directed by David Lynch. It is based on the true story of Alvin Straight's journey across Iowa and Wisconsin on a lawnmower. The film was edited and produced by Mary Sweeney, Lynch's longtime partner and co-worker. She co-wrote the script with John E. Roach.

The title of the film is a double entendre: it refers to Alvin's surname, but also refers to the story's seemingly straightforward nature, as compared to the complex, interweaving, mysterious plots of Lynch's other films.

Alvin Straight (Richard Farnsworth) is an elderly World War II veteran who lives with his daughter Rose (Sissy Spacek), a kind woman with a mental disability. When he hears that his estranged brother Lyle (Harry Dean Stanton) has suffered a stroke, he makes up his mind to go visit him and hopefully make amends before he dies. But because Alvin's legs and eyes are too impaired for him to receive a driving license, he hitches a trailer to his recently purchased thirty year-old John Deere Lawn tractor and sets off on the 240-mile journey from Laurens, Iowa to Mount Zion, Wisconsin.

The film follows the story of Alvin's six-week journey across rural America, the people he meets, his impact on their lives, and theirs on his. It has been called a modern odyssey of a man dealing with his own mortality and mistakes and the lasting bonds of family.

Richard Farnsworth was terminally ill with bone cancer during the shooting of the film, which had caused the paralysis of his legs as shown in the film. He actually took the role out of admiration for Alvin Straight, and astonished his co-workers with his tenacity during production. Because of the pain of his disease, Farnsworth committed suicide the following year, at the age of 80, at his home with a pistol.

Richard Farnsworth earned an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor for his portrayal of Alvin Straight, the oldest person ever to be nominated for a Best Actor Oscar.