CNN TRYING TO CLOWN RAP MUSIC (VOTE SO THEY LOOK STUPID)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 5, 2005
Rap music is a part of hiphop so its the same to me. Most mainstream rap shit today is poison. The whole go dumb/hyphy shit is poison. Walk it out, dumbing down of the masses. The whole fake thug I kill fellow black people and sell dope is poison. Whats the point of that shit? Its gotten people like many on this forum to think. "Who cares I just want to dance and have fun, i dont care if the music is about killing my grandmother". So sad and embarassing.

Dec 18, 2005
public enemy, bambaata, the coup, etc.= art

shit that perpetuates the exploitation of people living in inner cities by people in power (glorification of drugs, murder, objectivity of women, anti-education, drugs, crime)=poison

Jun 11, 2006
simplifying rap into "poison" and "art" does such a disservice to anyone party even interested in voting or thinking about what rap means to them
i voted art just because the media has such am extreme bias against hiphop it's a little sickening

May 5, 2005
Da1nonlyBAYCAT said:
public enemy, bambaata, the coup, etc.= art

shit that perpetuates the exploitation of people living in inner cities by people in power (glorification of drugs, murder, objectivity of women, anti-education, drugs, crime)=poison
Word

May 5, 2005
arejay said:
simplifying rap into "poison" and "art" does such a disservice to anyone party even interested in voting or thinking about what rap means to them
i voted art just because the media has such am extreme bias against hiphop it's a little sickening
Also True.

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
Gas One said:
^ what are you talking about. its clear cut.

it says "do you think hip-hop is art or poison"

it dosent say rap
not to be cheesy but i do think hip hop represents something totally different than what rap represents..

had they said

"do you think rap music is art of poison?"

or

"do you think mainstream rap music is art or poison?"

those would give two different answers from some people...but its asking about hip hop....and i know alot of people into hip hop that dont even fuck with todays rap music....they listen to bay area shit but that shit from 1992-1996....a hip hop perspective i'd say its about art

i think rap historically has had more creative years than poisonous years. todays rap music is just a monster that the industry created, and in that sense i dont think it has anything to do with hip hop...its just there for people to make money with...

art is rarely made to make money

and niggas into hip hop are doing the shit cuz they like it
rap, niggas is tryna make some cash and fuck liking art and all that cuz thats not what sells..

let me end this post withthat.
Rap is a part of hip-hop...rap is the baby brother of hip-hop. Do you honestly believe that the people over at CNN know the difference between 50Cent music and Mos Def music?? If they are asking the question, I doubt they're fans...which leads me to believe they don't know the difference. I think they are putting everything together into one bundle, personally! When those squares over there say HIP-HOP, I can guarantee they are talkin' about the music the majority of the fans listen to...which is 50 Cent, Snoop, Clipse, etc....

May 2, 2002
JUST VOTED. Its Art.

Its been an art form all along. However, Paula Zahn(and others like her) want to label it poison. Just like they put the label "gangsta" in front of rap. Rap has always been rap. As soon as it got too much for mass media to handle, thats when they label it "gangsta" rap.

Why single out just rap? If thats the case, why not include rock, alternative, heavy metal, etc.

Dec 18, 2005
MizeryMade said:
Why single out just rap? If thats the case, why not include rock, alternative, heavy metal, etc.
to my knowledge most rock, alternative and metal groups don't glorify ideas and behaviors that are harmful to it's audience (hence the term poison). Most of the people buying these rock albums most likely come from families that make at least an average annual income and have access to education and opportunities.

Rap music is for the most part an African American genre of music so to promote killing each other and committing crimes to people that historically and to this day are largely disenfranchised is poisonous. Music that defines chains, rims, ass and murder as success rather than real lasting (mass political, economic and cultural) power is poison when directed at people who are kept powerless in that sense.

Dec 11, 2005
Sydal said:
I can't vote, because I don't know what they're talkin' about. A lot of the shit out there is fuckin poison. The industry is gettin' paid, so they took the art out of what most people hear these days. The true art lies within the artists that the industry is too scared to touch right now. REAL Rap music will always be ART! I remember when they still thought it was a fad in the early 90's. Well, rap music has been around in some form for about 30 years, it ain't goin' nowhere. What the industry does with it will determine how popular it is among Americans as a whole.

Mainstream=Poison
Underground Rap/Hip-Hop....ART!

It's just like tagging. A lot of tagging looks like shit, but the artists that use their brains to create entire wall pieces...create art.
Yes yes I agree with you, I couldn't have said it better. To me whenever its industry driven propaganda/sales pitch/false glorification of materialism it is poisen to the youth. But when it is out of the love for the culture, it is most definately art.

Nov 27, 2006
rose town ryda said:
think about it though... the only people that vote on that shit are squares checking up on the news n shit. not a lot of people that like hip hop go to cnn.com everyday.
i go there everyday cause i like to know wuts goin on in this world and i love hip hop too, just cause u like rap doesnt mean u dont pay attention to the news, that is just a negative stereotype, we're not all delinquents