City Council is banning hiphop shows in Topeka, KS

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 2, 2006
I have filmed a number of shows in Topeka, Kansas the past year, and the number of venues hosting the shows has dwindled down to one little bar. City Council voted to shut down the Azteca a few months ago which was a huge club that was always packed for shows. Last month the city council sent the police in to the Static Bar and forced the club to cancel all hiphop and rap shows... including the Afroman concert which was going to happen a week later. Last night I was at the Trap and it had been confirmed that City Council is voting soon to stop all rap and hiphop performances in the city from ever happening again due to the violent image that is linked with the music. Last night may have been the last night to witness real music in Topeka, KS.

Just thought I would share this with everyone.

Mar 18, 2006
Thats insanity....I thought places up here were tight-ass about puttin on shows that have a hardcore image......lots of cats can't cross the border which definetly makes it difficult to see some of the true legends perform.....All I can say is....DAYUM

Apr 25, 2002
If you did a very long-winded detailed study on violent crime (esp. homicide) after shows for all kinds of music, I guarantee you that rap music would be far and away #1, by a mile.

Now that doesn't mean that I agree with what they did in Topeka, not by any means. I don't agree with it. But just atleast acknowledge that you recognize that more often than other forms of music, it does become reality and it's not just "images of violence" that's on these politicians mind.

shep

Sicc OG
Oct 2, 2002
gotta love kansas conservatives. first they say jesus killed the dinosaurs and now they're banning rap shows. awesome