Churches now part of Homeland Security

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Bush has (since march '06) established a agency within the DHS specifiacally for controlling "faith-based" churches. Esentially erasing the separation of church and state.

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]The separation of church and state - gone with the stroke of a pen. As of March 7, 2006, our nation’s leader signed another Executive Order, which tied the Department of Homeland Security to our leader’s “faith-based” churches. Okay, all you non-profit churches out there – you now serve the federal government’s primary spying agency. That is now your primary function. You are now and officially an organized den of thieves.[/FONT]
Sources
Full article: http://www.newswithviews.com/Levant/nancy51.htm
Full Executive Order: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/03/20060307-5.html

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
There's nothing in the consitution about seperation of church and state...those are comments made my those invovled.

It only says,
the gov't won't establish a religious gov't and they won't respect any body of religion or some shit like that....basically, they won't support one religion, and they won't let the gov't be controlled by it....

I guess they missed that one when they only elected Christians and Catholics (moreso Christians).

Dec 25, 2003
My mother is on the council of a local church, and throughout the years my parents have been involved in both the creation and management of several churches from different denominations from both a corporate level and a grassroots level, and never has the government exerted one iota of influence.

In addition, the executive order signed by Bush does not make the churches army barracks, does not force the pastors to "shepherd" the congregations and be ready to assemble them in time of war and crisis, and does not force churches to support the war machine.

The executive order ( and executive orders are usually more PR stunts than statuatory mandates ) provides for a department to facilitate faith-based involvement in the delivery of social programs, generalized assistance, or such assistance as most nonprofits usually provide.

Someone show me something from that order that even remotely connects to war, government control, or the free will of the masses.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
WHITE DEVIL said:
My mother is on the council of a local church, and throughout the years my parents have been involved in both the creation and management of several churches from different denominations from both a corporate level and a grassroots level, and never has the government exerted one iota of influence.

In addition, the executive order signed by Bush does not make the churches army barracks, does not force the pastors to "shepherd" the congregations and be ready to assemble them in time of war and crisis, and does not force churches to support the war machine.

The executive order ( and executive orders are usually more PR stunts than statuatory mandates ) provides for a department to facilitate faith-based involvement in the delivery of social programs, generalized assistance, or such assistance as most nonprofits usually provide.

Someone show me something from that order that even remotely connects to war, government control, or the free will of the masses.
First of all, do you know what 501 c3 church are prohibited from saying/speaking/preaching? If you can answer this in detail I'll give you the answer to your question.

Dec 25, 2003
They are forbidden from actively being involved in a political campaign for or against a political candidate and not allowed to help congressional races or elections, but this holds true for all nonprofits, and has been a staple almost since nonprofits have existed. The recent attempts by bush and conservatives have been to overturn this, in effect freeing churches and nonprofits to endorse or say what they want.

And if you are referring to preaching violent overthrow of the government, no entity that receives any sort of government benefit can do this.

Sep 28, 2002
How Friends (Quakers)
Conduct Church Business

Friends are not to meet [in meetings for business] like a company of people about town or parish business ... but to wait upon the Lord. (George Fox, Letters)
Friends (Quakers) do many things in a different manner than most do. One of these things is how Friends conduct their church business. In a study on this subject, Beyond Majority Rule (Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends, 1983), Michael J. Sheeran, S.J. states Friends "...may be the only modern Western community in which decision making achieves the group-centered decisions of traditional societies."

Democracy or Theocracy?
Some people, even some Friends, look at the open and participatory aspects of a Friends meeting for business, and conclude it is designed to be democratic. In fact, its intention is not to find what the most people want to do, but to find the will of God for the body that is meeting. Friends decision making is fundamentally theocratic rather than democratic.

Friends decision making is a matter of spiritual discernment. It is based on a belief that God's will can be perceived by human beings. Furthermore, it assumes that God speaks consistently to all and therefore that all who genuinely seek the will of God can find unity in what it is.

Doing Business in Worship
A Friends gathering to conduct business is first and foremost a meeting for worship. Friends gather in silence, waiting upon the Lord, open to whatever God may bring them in ministry and in business.

While it may be difficult, it is key to the proper conduct of business that Friends remain in a spirit of worship when they move out of the silence to consider agenda items. It is essential that the focus remains on what God wills, not what are the personal desires of those gathered. When someone speaks, they need to do so without ownership of what is spoken, allowing what is spoken to be used in whatever way helps the discernment process. In keeping with this principle, it is customary that minutes of a meeting do not state who offered a point of view. There should be no rush to speak immediately after another, and more extended periods of silent waiting can be very powerful when a meeting seems divided.

Unity
Friends do not vote in their business gatherings. Rather, they seek unity - unity with the will of God for the meeting. Friends understand that the majority of a body may be leaning one way while a minority, perhaps even only one person, may be who has discerned God's will. Friends do not rush business, allowing time for all to grasp what God would have the meeting do. When it seems there is a "sense of the meeting" on an item, the clerk (the presiding officer) formulates that sense in words. If the body gathered concurs that the clerk has correctly formulated the matter, it is recorded in the minutes.

One difficult point to grasp is that unity is not identical with unanimity. While no one's sense of God's leading is to be ignored, it is the unity of the body as a whole with the will of God that is critical. Sometimes a person may not be clear on the course of action but feel the meeting is ready to act, and "stand aside" on the issue. An even more difficult situation is one in which the meeting as a whole is clearly united, but someone stands outside that unity without standing aside. To move forward in such a situation must be done with great trepidation, since it involves a conclusion that the person is not being open to the Spirit on the issue, but there are times when it is done.

A Precious Gift
A Friends meeting for business truly held in the spirit can be a truly awesome experience as one can witness God at work within a body of people. It is not a form, but a precious gift of God to be treasured. When Friends follow the outward appearance of this method of conducting business without truly being in the Spirit which is to lead it, the gift is not respected. The conduct of business can then become divisive and enervating. In practice, Friends vary widely on how successful they are in living up to the promise of their method of conducting church business.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
They are forbidden from actively being involved in a political campaign for or against a political candidate and not allowed to help congressional races or elections
(bold emphasis mine)

Now let us start with this. You are admitting that 501c3 churches are forbidden from actively being involved in a political campaign for or against a political candidate and not allowed to help congressional races or elections. Now, let me pose a scenario to you:

Candidate #1: "I am pro choice, I believe in destroying Israel, I am the antichrist, and we need to abolish the constitution."

Candidate #2: "I am pro life, I believe in helping Israel and the entire mid east, I am a christian, and I believe that the constitution should remain."

Would you consider candidate #1 to be a christian? Would you agree that a "christian church" would not vote for candidate #1 and would oppose him? Would you agree that the "christian" religion teaches that #1 should be opposed? Would you agree that 501c3 limits the christian church in their opposition to candidate #1?

but this holds true for all nonprofits, and has been a staple almost since nonprofits have existed.
While this holds true for all nonprofits you MUST admit that not all nonprofits have the same agenda, goal, outreach or message. Which is more hindered when it comes to speaking out against a candidate that goes against every tenent of a persons religion -- a nonprofit for burn victims or a nonprofit church? What is a church to do? Is the church to remain silent, or is the church to speak out against the wrongs and ills of society?

the recent attempts by bush and conservatives have been to overturn this, in effect freeing churches and nonprofits to endorse or say what they want.
Are you saying this is what the faith based initiative is built on? If they have attempted to overturn it why is it now a part of homeland security? What would be the reason for making it part of homeland security? Is it true that one can speak out against a certain individual or a group and be considered a "terrorist" based on homeland security and the patriot act? So, if bush has been attempting to overturn this, why did he sign the recent executive order that Eternal posted?

And if you are referring to preaching violent overthrow of the government, no entity that receives any sort of government benefit can do this.
For one, they should not preach a violent overthrow of the government, but if a candidate comes forth and he preaches something that is 100% AGAINST the christian church, God, the bible, etc guess what? The 501c3 church CANNOT speak out against him.

Now, although you did not answer my question in detail, I do believe you made an attempt to answer it to the best of your ability. I'll answer your question which was, "Someone show me something from that order that even remotely connects to war, government control, or the free will of the masses."

Now, you yourself have said 501c3 churches/preachers cannot be involved in a political campaign for or against someone. Would you agree that this rule places restriction on the free will of the church members or churches who want to campaign and lobby for a candidate they feel is hand picked by God?

Let us look at section 1 of the order:

Section 1. Establishment of a Center for Faith-Based and Community Initiatives at the Department of Homeland Security.

(a) The Secretary of Homeland Security (Secretary) shall establish within the Department of Homeland Security (Department) a Center for Faith-Based and Community Initiatives (Center).

First of all, will you agree that the recent changes in homeland security were made as a result of acts of so-called terrorism? Would you also, agree that recent changes in homeland security (and the patriot act) have placed more restrictions on the american people?

Homeland security deals with what? The safety of the american people? According to homeland security.org, "Homeland Security is defined as the deterrence, prevention, and preemption of, and defense against, aggression targeted at U.S. territory, sovereignty, population, and infrastructure as well as the management of the consequences of such aggression and other domestic emergencies. Homeland Defense is a subset of Homeland Security. It is defined as the deterrence, prevention, and preemption of and defense against direct attacks aimed at U.S. territory, population, and infrastructure.
Civil Support is also a subset of Homeland Security, separate from Homeland Defense. It is defined as the DOD support to civilian authorities for natural and manmade domestic emergencies, civil disturbances, and designated law enforcement efforts."

With that being said can you tell us why the 501c3 status is even connected with homeland security?

Now, I can go into detail about section 2 and section 3(a), but why don't you read those again on your own time, because I want to move into something; free speech.

Read this article: http://www.latimes.com/news/politic...coll=la-headlines-politics&ctrack=1&cset=true , do you see a violation of free speech? Do you see an instance of a church speaking out AGAINST the war and on the verge of suffering consequences for it?

Read this article: http://www.americanvision.org/articlearchive/03-13-06.asp
Hopefully you can gain some sort of insight from this perspective.

Finally, does the IRS have regulations pertaining to 501c3 churches? If so can you post them?

Ne Obliviscaris

RIP Cut-Throat and SoCo
Dec 30, 2004
^^^yes there was, although i think what they actually got in trouble for were comments aobout how real christians wouldnt be in favor of the war. this was said, in a sermon, during the 2004 elections (the implication being that no pro war candidate was a 'real, christian). the church was investigated by the IRS (or maybe the justice department?) which threatened to revoke their tax exempt status.

funny how none of the churches that claimed kerry wasnt a real catholic because he was pro choice were investigated.

Dec 25, 2003
HERESY said:
Candidate #1: "I am pro choice, I believe in destroying Israel, I am the antichrist, and we need to abolish the constitution."

Candidate #2: "I am pro life, I believe in helping Israel and the entire mid east, I am a christian, and I believe that the constitution should remain."

Would you consider candidate #1 to be a christian? Would you agree that a "christian church" would not vote for candidate #1 and would oppose him? Would you agree that the "christian" religion teaches that #1 should be opposed? Would you agree that 501c3 limits the christian church in their opposition to candidate #1?
No to the first, Yes to the others.

What is a church to do? Is the church to remain silent, or is the church to speak out against the wrongs and ills of society?
It is obviously the churches job to speak out.

If they have attempted to overturn it why is it now a part of homeland security? What would be the reason for making it part of homeland security?
The DHS is under Bush's direct control net. Presidents have long placed their pet programs under the umbrellas of their appointees. A faith-based program under the jurisdiction of the Legislature or a Particular Finance Committee would likely get axed in the case of a Democratic coup in the House/Senate.

Executive Orders have long been implemented by Presidents to run their own agendas when they wouldn't pass muster in the Legislature. By placing the Faith-Based program in the DHS, Bush can insulate it from cuts. (Anyone who tries to attack it will be portrayed as attempting to weaken Homeland Security). This is atypical politician move, especially a lame duck president move. Clinton signed quite a few Executive Orders before leaving office.

Another scenario states that the arm of DHS not dealing with security threats deals with facilitation of the administration of social services, and Bush's FB grants and funding deal with organizations that provide this.

Is it true that one can speak out against a certain individual or a group and be considered a "terrorist" based on homeland security and the patriot act?
I honestly am not sure. Is speaking out against someone sufficient cause for a "terrorist" label? I doubt the Patriot Act even, goes that far. Even if our dumbshit media was asleep, watchdog groups who regularly parse through passed legislation would have pointed it out. Though that text or stipulation may exist in the legislation, I will admit I am not sufficiently well-versed.

So, if bush has been attempting to overturn this, why did he sign the recent executive order that Eternal posted?
The connection between the moving of Bush's faith-based programs to DHS control is not directly connected with IRS enforcement/investigation. The article posted, and the executive order signed, simply state that Faith-Based programs have been moved to the DHS Umbrella. Equating that with instant gestapo tactics, while possibly true, is not logically complete imo. The move to DHS likely has more to do with ensuring the program's survival when Bush's term is over, or ensuring that it will be under the charge of a conservative after 08.

In fact, the EO states that the goal of this agency is the facilitation of fluidity in distribution and organization of faith-based services.

For one, they should not preach a violent overthrow of the government, but if a candidate comes forth and he preaches something that is 100% AGAINST the christian church, God, the bible, etc guess what? The 501c3 church CANNOT speak out against him.
Churches still make political statements, though there are varying degrees of subtlety in the way in which they publicly speak their message. The danger here does exist that churches could be censored, but the danger on the flipside is that you give money to a Cancer research foundation (which I do) and it is spent shilling for John Kerry or whoever the fuck.

Would you agree that this rule places restriction on the free will of the church members or churches who want to campaign and lobby for a candidate they feel is hand picked by God?
Yes, but the rule was in place possibly hundreds of years before Bush signed this order. What is the problem in this instance is the way in which it has been recently enforced.

First of all, will you agree that the recent changes in homeland security were made as a result of acts of so-called terrorism? Would you also, agree that recent changes in homeland security (and the patriot act) have placed more restrictions on the american people?
Obviously yes on both counts. However, to believe that at any time, in any circumstance, the level of civil liberties must always remain the same or increase is incongruent with history. Situations often necessitate the
temporary or permanent revoke or revision of the rights of citizenry.

European fliers, for example, have had slow, cumbersome airline security similar to ours far before 9/11. Up until September 11th, Did they have to wait much longer than we did in line? Were they permitted to carry fewer types of items onboard? Yes. But they dealt with airline terrorism, and during that time, we didn't.

We could simply allow anyone and anything to get on any plane at any time with any cargo, and that would be an example of very high civil liberties. We could remove border checkpoints for American citizens, and that would increase our level of civil liberties, but would most likely be a bad choice.

With that being said can you tell us why the 501c3 status is even connected with homeland security?
It isn't. You're connecting disparate points. Faith-Based programs distribute grants and funding. Faith-Based programs are now under the DHS umbrella.

The articles you posted are examples of IRS enforcement in regards to rules about "political neutrality" of nonprofits.

The two are not directly linked.

Faith-based funding, even under the DHS, is not directly or indirectly to IRS taxation penalties or enforcement. The two occur seperately, under seperate mandates and areas of influence. This is another thing the article
speculates about but doesn't actually show or prove.

Read this article: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-me-irs18jul18,1,7450455.story?coll=la-headlines-politics&ctrack=1&cset=true , do you see a violation of free speech? Do you see an instance of a church speaking out AGAINST the war and on the verge of suffering consequences for it?
Yes, but the issue here is selective or overzealous enforcement. The possible IRS revoke and penalization based on criticism of American Operatins in Iraq have nothing to do with a DHS seal appearing at the top of official Faith-Based letterheads. Faith-Based funding, grants, or other federal loans of credit are for the most part gifts. It is no different than federally allocated research or collegiate grants.

Finally, does the IRS have regulations pertaining to 501c3 churches? If so can you post them?
I know you've studied a bit of business law. If so you know that anything that the government is even remotely connected to has scores of pages of rules and regulations.

They could possibly treat churches like any other Charity organization, or they could have a volume seperate, specific rules. In either case, I don't know.

The total number of churhces investigated since 2004 is what, 40?

You are probably just as well in danger of faulty prosecution by a cop, financial manipulation, aggressive lawsuits by expanding property owners, etc.

A million things can go wrong in the business and financial climate of any country.

To assume that 96% of 501c3 churches are filled with sheep because Bush's Faith-Based Programs got moved to the DHS is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. I've been to churches who spoke for and against the war in Iraq. If the climate portrayed really does exist, they would be under some sort of scrutiny by now.

The reality is you are dealing with an issue of selective enforcement on a fairly small scale. A few churches may be unduly punished, but the worst possible outcome would be a 10 percent tax on annual monies collected levied at the church. That isn't exactly shilling for George Bush with an M16 to your temple.