Chuck D: "Rap is Not Music."

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 13, 2005
The quote is in the very first paragraph, read again. The entire article could be about cake baking, but what was said - was said. Chuck is pointing out that hip hop is a verbal artform as opposed to a musical one. I "get it" and you should too.

Apr 25, 2002
Joe DiMaggio said:
The quote is in the very first paragraph, read again. The entire article could be about cake baking, but what was said - was said. Chuck is pointing out that hip hop is a verbal artform as opposed to a musical one. I "get it" and you should too.
:rolleyes:
He said rapping was, not hip hop.

untill you figure out the difference don't come back.

Jul 13, 2005
ColdBlooded said:
:rolleyes:
He said rapping was, not hip hop.

untill you figure out the difference don't come back.
You're one of the simpering "hip hop heads" who think that speaking ebonics, wearing baggy clothing, defacing property, and spinning on cardboard constitutes "culture." No sane person buys into such shit.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
Well then I'll be the first to say that Chuck D is wrong, a pioneer no less.

You sound like my music teacher in high school. "We're having auditions for the school play, bring in a song and sing it to the class". I bring in 2Pac feat. Jon B (if any of you know, this is an R&B track). After SINGING both of Jon B's verses, she said "i'm sorry, i'm going to have to dismiss you, rap is not music". Because music consists of melodies and carrying out beats and blah blah blah.

I disagree with this. You need to train your voice and find a niche and a style in rap the same way that you do in all other music. I personally think Tech N9ne has more skill than Frank Sinatra, and i'm a huge Sinatra fan.

And there is a difference between rapping and hip hop, but your comment pretty much showed your own ignorance. He didn't say there's a difference between RAP and hip hop, he said there's a difference between RAPPING and hip hop. Figure out the difference.

Jul 13, 2005
Because music consists of melodies and carrying out beats and blah blah blah.
Blah blah blah? Yeah, god FORBID that a musical piece actually contain music theory. I mean, keeping time at other than 4/4 is soooooooooooo square! Why is it that soundclick has a billion 11-year-olds from Finland making beats on par with what you hear on the radio? That's right, because it takes no talent.

Take any number of today's hot hip hop producers and force them to write sheet music. Take any number of them and ask them to demonstrate any sort of technique/craftsmanship with a musical instrument. 99.9% of them would immediately fall into convulsions from being asked to do the impossible.

I disagree with this. You need to train your voice and find a niche and a style in rap the same way that you do in all other music. I personally think Tech N9ne has more skill than Frank Sinatra, and i'm a huge Sinatra fan.
OK. Which is why I said earlier in the thread:
is pointing out that hip hop is a verbal artform as opposed to a musical one.
Musically, rap is a lower artform. But when you start getting into poetic elements like cadence, it's a whole new ballgame. I will say that Sinatra's range and silken voice were genetically superior gifts, and Tech nine's backwards rapping is a parlor trick born of practice.

But DiMaggio, no offense man, between here and the Gathering of the Minds forum, it sounds like you're posting up a bunch of bullshit to get a rise out of the people on here.
You know, I thought a message board was a place for debate and argument. Not deciding to agree with eachother before a single fucking word was spoken. The United States was BIRTHED in the flame of heated discussion, so stop whining. Refute my assertions, agree, or be content to know that you're too timid and sensitive to engage passion.

He didn't say there's a difference between RAP and hip hop, he said there's a difference between RAPPING and hip hop.
Yes, which is why I answered the way I did. He was patronizing me, just like you're doing, for apparently being unaware that rap music was just one facet of a larger hip hop culture. I'm not giving any credence to this widespread, yet ridiculous notion. Sorry to say, sagging pants and mimmicking incorrect english doesn't translate into any sort of culture. Idiotic.

Stealth

May 8, 2002
Refute my assertions, agree, or be content to know that you're too timid and sensitive to engage passion.
You're welcome to your own opinion and I apologize if I made you feel that you were unable to express it. However, I do not like wasting my time conversing with contentious people. I wish you luck in your future posting endeavours.

Jul 13, 2005
Filthy_Rich said:
And while most rappers don't know any music theory, most producers do.

Do you have any way of proving that statement? Just reading the siccness studio forum, I see an awful lot of complaining as to how most rap producers:

a) Aren't even producers.
b) Have no idea what they are talking about.
c) Are nothing more than attention whores and big talkers.

If you use the radio as your precedent, then of course you'll think that it takes no talent.
Oh yeah? So if I was to pick up a Messy Marv or Yukmouth album I wouldn't hear faux-Neptunes or faux-Lil Jon production? Oh that's right, I do. Or maybe you're talking about the underground backpack scene where the producers still sample and loop Herbie Hancock and do their best DJ Premier impersonation.

You can't use that argument because rock artists are the same. How many guitar players do you know that can't read music and only read tab? Or drummers that can play every metallica beat just by memory.
No. A rock musician is just that, a musician. He is capable of playing in a jam session, or playing a tune by ear. Put your average hip hop producer in a jam session. He'll sit at the keyboard and try to play with his two index fingers before calling everyone a hater and leave crying.

Look at a rock band composing a song. Even if they're playing from memory or by ear, that's a lot to memorize. Your average hip hop producer turns on the sequencer and takes a 3 second snapshot of himself, which he can loop at will. Your punk bassist has to have presence of mind, a calm head, and plenty of practice if he's going to play live. Your hip hop producer can just sit at home with a thumb up his ass while the rapper just plays his instrumental.

It's takes INFINITELY more skill to write and produce for any other genre of music.

Tell me that "Crossroads" isn't music.
It's looped bars with leads coming in and out. Just because it's in a sombre chord doesn't make it beautiful or valid.

Ok, so every rap song is in 4/4. So is every reggae song i've ever heard.
Reggae is even worse than hip hop.

90% or more of all music is in 4/4.
Here is a prime example of how hip hop has destroyed your brain. Did you ever stop to think that a song can change signature? Most other music does, because it's pleasing to the ear and it's not difficult to a trained musician. Ask a hip hop "producer" about time signature and he'll probably think you're asking him when his UPS package arrived.

While his music was groundbreaking, it wasn't much more than poetry over breaks. That's why he said that.
Damn do I long for those days. When the beats slapped hard, and the lyrics slapped you around harder.

The beat and the rhyme didn't have to match.
Can you cite me an example of one song PE ever did where the lyrics obviously didn't match the beat? I.e. a love song over an aggressive beat.

You could take any of his verses and put them over any of his beats and it'd still work (as long as the tempo was the same). That's how hip hop was back then. Nowadays, hip hop is a little more advanced.
That's moronic. The same time PE was making music was the same time LL Cool J put "I need love" over a slow jam, and when NWA made Straight Outta Compton over those angry horns. "That's how hip hop was back then?" Were you even born yet?

I admit, A LOT of hip hop is very basic and shows little musical talent, but it doesn't mean that it's not music.
To call it music is an insult to people who slave over an instrument to learn it, and those who study theory. I have another word for it. "Crap."

Hip hop lives and dies by lyrical content. If the artist has something to say, he'll have a successful album. That makes it a verbal artform, not a musical one.