chong of cheech & chong arrested

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.mexica-movement.org
One half of the Cheech and Chong comedy and movie duo is in trouble with the law over -- surprise -- drug paraphernalia.

Tommy Chong, 64, pleaded guilty in Pittsburgh to drug paraphernalia charges, and he could go to prison for it.

Chong, who starred with Cheech Marin in such cult film classics as 1978's "Up in Smoke" and 1983's "Still Smokin'," entered the plea Tuesday in federal court in Pittsburgh on behalf of himself and his business, which manufactured a line of marijuana bongs and pipes.

Federal drug enforcement agents said in turn, his company Chong Glass, sold thousands of pipes and bongs through headshops and on the Internet. Chong had been arrested during a series of raids in which at least 55 people were charged with trafficking in illegal drug paraphernalia.

Chong's lawyers said their client accepts responsibility but noted the actor was careful not to sell to minors.

Sentencing is set for September, and Chong could get up to three years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Chong said after the hearing that he and Marin were back together as a team and working on a new movie. Plus, Chong said, the guilty plea would be a part of the new movie.

Chong also told reporters after the hearing that his dope-smoking days are behind him.

"I don't smoke, I quit," Chong said.

Chong's other acting credits include the movie comedies "Half Baked" and "High Times Potluck," and sitcom "That '70s Show."

May 2, 2002
i hope the War on Terror can produce better results than the war on Drugs!

Only in America can you get busted for selling something that is legal!