Chael Sonnen steroid hearing link (late i kno sorry)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 9, 2005
I didn't read about the specifics, but what did he appeal, and why was it reduced?

He got popped for elevated T levels right?

Red Ryda 916

Lakota Sioux
Jun 12, 2004
South Sac/Wounded Knee
After a near three-hour hearing before the California State Athletic Commission UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen's 12-month suspension was cut in half for his non-disclosure of his prescribed testosterone UFC 117 championship bout with Anderson Silva.

Sonnen's legal team gave evidence showing that Sonnen has been undergoing testosterone replacement therapy via twice weekly injections of a synthetic version of the hormone since 2008 under the care of his physician, who also testified to the same.

During testimony, Sonnen said that he had been embarrassed to disclose that he was suffering from hypogonadism, which is characterized by low testosterone levels due to malfunction of his testicles during a fighter's meeting in which the participants of the card congregate to fill out necessary paperwork in the days prior to the bout. He also revealed that he did not reach puberty until early adulthood and that he did not care to relive the ridicule that he endured as a child because of it.

The Team Quest fighter explained under oath that he was also under the impression that he had gained clearance in 2009 from the CSAC when he alleges that his treating physician sent in proof of his condition and blood tests showing his depleted testosterone levels to the commission. Sonnen contended that received back the go-ahead from a physician he believed to be a representative of the governing body, who also was involved in his pre-fight medical examination. He admitted during the hearing that he later learned that the physician in question was actually employed by the UFC and that his misunderstanding compounded the confusion about his medical clearance.

Chael's council contended that the Oregon native did not try to hide his use of testosterone as he listed it on his pre-drug screening form, but three of the five commissioners who voted (CSAC Executive Officer George Dodd who testified for the State did not vote and a second commissioner left the hearing early to catch a plane out of state) felt that by failing to disclose to the CSAC physician that administered his pre-fight medical exam, Sonnen knowingly broke the rules and thus only reduced his suspension in half, while maintaining his originally prescribed $2,500 fine.

As he has already served three months of his suspension, Sonnen will be eligible to return to action in just prior to UFC 128 in Abu Dhabi on March 19.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Barnett had his hearing as well but he thought it was just a simple re-application and the CSAC had other ideas and wanted to cross examine him and shit so he asked for an extension hearing since his lawyer wasn't there.
sigh

Nov 20, 2010
Here's how I understand what happened.

Sonnen:

The first test (2 days before the fight) only tested for "foreign" testosterone levels. Apparently Chael felt he notified the proper people at this time of his TRT (testosterone replacement therapy).

Then he fights.

Then he gets popped for levels of synthetic testosterone that are WELL above normal.

A few days later, they re-test him, this time testing his ACTUAL testosterone level.

The tests come out as he is in the normal range (well, he's had 2 or more days at this point for his Testosterone to return to a normal state now)

The CSAC is absolutely dumbfounded by all of this.

They can't legitimately call him a cheater, because they never bothered to test his actual testosterone level before the fight.

But they all agree he fucked up by not telling the proper CSAC representatives and suspend/fine him based on that.

6 months, $2500.

That is how I understand it. Wether you choose to believe Sonnen is a cheater or not is your call.

Barnett:

Barnett is a piece of shit whose either not appeared or pushed his "hearing" date back 5 fucking times already. So he strolls in to the CSAC hearing and lo and behold, the CSAC has no interest in just handing him another pee-test cup and saying, "ready when you are Mr. Barnett... let's get that license out to you, PRONTO!" ... instead, the have some Attorney General (or lieutenant attorney general or something) whose ready to get some closure on their LAST go-around with Barnett....

a go-around that ultimately proved to be the very start of a chain reaction that completely destroyed an entire MMA organization.

Yeah, imagine Barnett's abject surprise when the CSAC wasn't willing to just let bygons be bygons over his last episode.... never mind that they weren't willing to let the fact that Barnett has pushed his date back with them 5 times and they probably weren't exactly pleased by that either.

So here he comes, shows up by himself, and they want answers.

"Oh my god! I had no idea it was going to be an interrogation! I need my lawyer present, first"

=

"Awww shit, I wasn't prepared for any of this, I was hoping you guys would all forget about that last time when I was caught being a fucking cheater. I'll need to have my lawyer write up some vague and ambiguous answers that don't say anything before I can answer any of their questions. I better come back when I have a whole 14 page document that says nothing."

Fuck Barnett... hands down the single worst thing ever in MMA and I hope he gets fucking blackballed out of MMA forever and I never have to see that piece of shit ever again.

There aren't many fighters that really make me want to flip the fuck out, but Barnett is by far the worst and a big hot button for me.

Fuck that faggot.

Feb 3, 2006
LOL. Dude just needs to give it up. I'm supposed to beleive that you didn't tell the right people about my increased testosterone level in the biggest fight of my life. Sure Sonnen. You're a juicer plain & simple, and you still got choked out.

May 6, 2002
Barnett got popped for Masteron, a completely different substance.
Testosterone is a must-have base with any cycle, but Masteron is pretty heavy duty stuff. It is extremely androgenic. Burns fat and gives you dense muscle.

Anyways, that script is non-sense. I can get a script too. It cost's $300. Any HRT doc will write it. It's a legal way to use test. I don't think he should have been punished at all. He had all his paperwork in line...

May 6, 2002
Then he gets popped for levels of synthetic testosterone that are WELL above normal.

A few days later, they re-test him, this time testing his ACTUAL testosterone level.

The tests come out as he is in the normal range (well, he's had 2 or more days at this point for his Testosterone to return to a normal state now)
Not really. The quickest acting esther is prop, and that kicks in around day 3. Your test levels don't go back to normal for a very, very, long time. Depends on your cycle length and your PCT.

Plus the article says he was injecting twice a week. Prop you have to inject 3 times a week. Which in that case he was using a longer acting esther like Cyp on Enanthate, which doesn't even really even enter your blood stream until about week 2.

He's not really on HRT. He cycles on and off just like every one else. He just has a script that says he is. It is impossible for him to have that much of a fluctuation in that short of a time span. He has been rolling with high T levels the whole time.

Aug 18, 2002
www.chalkbodyoutline.com
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AuM0lgXgnqKM0Ic1jA1jzkA9Eo14?slug=dm-steroidhearings120210

Sonnen tested positive for testosterone at a 16.9-to-1 testosterone to epitestosterone ratio. Normal levels are 1-to-1, and allowable levels in most sports, including by the CSAC, is 4-to-1. Sonnen claimed he had a spiked ratio because he took a shot the day before he was tested. The commission has approved of testosterone therapy, but only to get levels back to normal levels, not increased levels that would provide for enhanced performance.

Dr. Gary Furness of the commission noted that he twice asked Sonnen if he was taking any other drugs, and both times Sonnen said that he wasn’t.

Sonnen claimed he didn’t list testosterone on the form because other fighters were around as he was filling out the form and felt it would cause him embarrassment, but noted that he did personally tell George Dodd, the executive officer of the commission, later in a private conversation.

roidz!!!!!

Dec 30, 2003
Well he's been doing this trt treatment since 08.... Nevada got diff laws than ca.... Ca is more stricter when it comes to this... He didn't use roids u fuckin dumb asses .....dude obviously got sumn wrong with his body...

Nov 20, 2010
Not really. The quickest acting esther is prop, and that kicks in around day 3. Your test levels don't go back to normal for a very, very, long time. Depends on your cycle length and your PCT.

Plus the article says he was injecting twice a week. Prop you have to inject 3 times a week. Which in that case he was using a longer acting esther like Cyp on Enanthate, which doesn't even really even enter your blood stream until about week 2.

He's not really on HRT. He cycles on and off just like every one else. He just has a script that says he is. It is impossible for him to have that much of a fluctuation in that short of a time span. He has been rolling with high T levels the whole time.
I'm not a doctor. I was merely giving my opinion as to what I thought it all meant.

And I know fighters (for the most part) are juicing or are using something illegal to get that edge.... it's in every sport. Only a moron would believe otherwise.

Nov 20, 2010

I'm not a doctor. I was merely giving my opinion as to what I thought it all meant.

And I know fighters (for the most part) are juicing or are using something illegal to get that edge.... it's in every sport. Only a moron would believe otherwise.

May 6, 2002
Well he's been doing this trt treatment since 08.... Nevada got diff laws than ca.... Ca is more stricter when it comes to this... He didn't use roids u fuckin dumb asses .....dude obviously got sumn wrong with his body...
He may or he may not.
He could just have paid a doctor to say its low.
It's so easy. You say you are depressed, lack of libido/ED, no energy, etc.
They run blood and if it isn't "high" they can say its low, then write a script.

Whether he is doing HRT or not is not the issue. HRT is meant to bring your levels up to par. His were over 1000, which is not par. Basically he was doing too much..

You can have a valium script, but that doesn't mean you can pop 10 and get all waisted. There are guidelines, just like any other med.