Certified - The Underworld..........WOW

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Immediately catapulted into my Top 5 of all-time from the Northwest. I'm extremely impressed with the production on this album, especially b/c it's not any new names but rather names that we're familiar with like BG Church, Rocafella & Kuddie Mak, that are getting BETTER. The level of improvement in this production is outstanding. This album will be in extremely heavy rotation in my car, on my iPod, working out, pre/post Seahawks games, you name it, I'll be playing it for a very long time. Timing could not have been better, the NW seems like it's dried up to some extent. INSTANT CLASSIC.

Favorite tracks are :

Big Wad of Money : Trunk banger

Give U Love : Awesome use of sampling the man who in my opinion is the greatest musician of all-time in any genre, Willie Hutch

Hello : Reminds me of "Championship" from The Outfit with the high notes on the keyboard, great adrenaline provider of a track.

High Life : Smooth beat, outstandnig hook

Outro : Love the old school UGK beat on a sample I can't identify, especially all of the Washington state shoutouts, it's good to hear

Turn it Over : The overused Isley sample but a good job nonetheless, nothing like Between the Sheets with the D-Sane echo, it sounds good

and lastly the two tracks that I believe really stand apart even these other 5 stars:

Rejects : The beat is sinister, the bassline, background effects and flutes remind me of something Big Hank or Ice Mone would do out in Milwaukee, has a real cold Black Infinite / Traxster Midwestern feel to it. And then of course the message of the song is just outstanding. "Shit is like the military, do it for the W-A, instead of riding nigga's dicks from another STATE" is quite possibly the best single line I've ever heard on a Northwest rap album, ever, and it's deilvered with such conviction and power. The chorus with the "You from the Dub not the Bay, not the CHI, NY or the A" is also a hot line.

Throwin Me Away : The best track on this album and the best track I've heard from the Northwest in a long time. The beat is an adrenaline inducer and laid back head-nodder type all in one, it has that versatility to it. The voice flip (which I can't identify, somebody help me please) is well done. The verses are awesome. All of that with the methodical pace and very deep, rich beat, come to make a track that'll be in my head forever. Outstanding work.

Mar 25, 2003
www.myspace.com
classic northwest CD I had the honor of teaching a couple classes with Church and got to see him first hand making beats...he is very very talented and I wish I could have gotten it on film
You can cop the Underworld now on urbantunes.net

Apr 14, 2003
sounds like swin had a cold when he was recording "throwin me away"..... I don't mind at all, this song gets turned up when it comes on. what a fuckin banger. jeez this album rocks my socks