cd stores

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 21, 2006
i noticed that about half the cd stores in the bay have shut down. like tower records and warehouse and sam goody.
all i see now is rasputins in the 408.
so if all these stores are shutting down. and everyone is downloading music instead of buying it....how the hell are homeboy rappers suposed to come up??
i always be wondering that shit since no one really buys music any more.

Nov 20, 2005
they can stop depending on the big store chains and go to mom n pop stores which still exist and apparently have survived.

they can distribute them online...napster, itunes, walmart, etc.

~k.

Jun 1, 2007
www.cdbaby.com
San Jose has more stores then any other city except Sacramento! San Jose has:

StreetLight Records
980 S. Bascom
San Jose, CA 95218
408-292-1404

Rasputin Music

Poppin' Tags
428 S. King Road
San Jose, CA 95116

3 Little Small Janky Record Stores called Space Cat

and actually a few more small spots that sell Hats, T-Shirts and Cds.

San Jose and Campbell are cracking for Rap Magazine sells and Cd sells.

Homeboy rappers or any rappers for that matter can still make a living. They just have to get more wise to the business. Learn about getting their music onto download sites that pay the artists. All artists need to be on iTunes. Look at how many people you see daily that have iPods.

Do the whole selling out of the trunk. You will run into more Cd buyers out and about town then you will at any one time at a Local Record Store.

One thing that I see that most homeboy rappers need to do is press up more Promotional Materials such as Posters (Do at least 1,000), Flyers and Stickers. Leave those P.O.P items in the stores for possible fans to pick up. You never know if someone is going to hang your poster on their bedroom wall and then company may see it and buy your cd, their cousin might see your poster and buy your cd, their little brother or sister might buy your cd. That builds long term fans.

And lastly you have to support the Local Mom & Pop Stores. You have to know where they are. You have to go in a buy something and not just look around. Rappers if a Mom & Pop store carries your cd on consignment, don't just thank them and just leave the store, go to the Local Rap Section and buy something. Just pick a cd and support it. If they support Local Music then you need to support them back.

Street Masters Magazine WESTCOAST
http://www.streetmastersmagazine.com

Jun 1, 2007
www.cdbaby.com
I always try to pass on knowlege. I want this music and magazine game to last forever. If I have to help with my strong mind to see the young minority population that is in this "BUSINESS" called rap music then I am here.

Check Out Streetlight Records for real. They got GREAT prices and they know how to treat the people in there shopping. It isn't like FYE where they keep an eye on all young Latino and Black males, and are always asking "Can I help you" when they see you are still just browsing.

Nov 2, 2002
right on for the info SMMWest,
i recently became addicted to buying old and rare CD's for my collection, so this will help alot

Nov 2, 2002
@SMM, which of those stores you listed would have the best local bay area selection? (besides rasputins)

Jun 1, 2007
www.cdbaby.com
right on for the info SMMWest,
i recently became addicted to buying old and rare CD's for my collection, so this will help alot
That is great. I hope you have an open mind to "ALL" rap cds and not just certain artists. If you listen closely to the lyrics on "ALL" rap cds you can find something of interest in there when listening "closely" to the words.

As far as your other post about which of those stores has the best selection of "underground" rap besides Rasputin Music. It would be without a doubt StreetLight Records. The fly thing is that they put their New cds and Used cds on the same rack. The Used stuff is filed right with the New cds it will just have a Used sticker on it. And then the fun starts when you look under the cd racks down at the bottom, there are bins listed in alphabetical order and every cd in there is $2.99 or Less. Last time I was in there they had some good cds in those bins. Young Droop "1990-Hate" was in there.

Mar 13, 2007
You guys in SJ have nothing to complain about,Modesto has almost no cd stores only the mall best buy circuit city and that's it.

Jun 1, 2007
www.cdbaby.com
Modesto has Saltys Record Attic which carries very few rap titles, alot of Country and Rock. One thing is does have is TONS of Oldies and Funk cds and records.

Salty's Records Attic
1326 9th Street
Modesto, CA 95345
209-527-4010

And the "2" FYE stores in Modesto, that are way too uptight and charge way too much for their titles.

Mar 13, 2007
Modesto has Saltys Record Attic which carries very few rap titles, alot of Country and Rock. One thing is does have is TONS of Oldies and Funk cds and records.

Salty's Records Attic
1326 9th Street
Modesto, CA 95345
209-527-4010

And the "2" FYE stores in Modesto, that are way too uptight and charge way too much for their titles.

I'll have to check that out.thx for the info

Jun 24, 2005
www.MYSPACE.COM
San Jose has more stores then any other city except Sacramento! San Jose has:

StreetLight Records
980 S. Bascom
San Jose, CA 95218
408-292-1404

Rasputin Music

Poppin' Tags
428 S. King Road
San Jose, CA 95116

3 Little Small Janky Record Stores called Space Cat

and actually a few more small spots that sell Hats, T-Shirts and Cds.

San Jose and Campbell are cracking for Rap Magazine sells and Cd sells.

Homeboy rappers or any rappers for that matter can still make a living. They just have to get more wise to the business. Learn about getting their music onto download sites that pay the artists. All artists need to be on iTunes. Look at how many people you see daily that have iPods.

Do the whole selling out of the trunk. You will run into more Cd buyers out and about town then you will at any one time at a Local Record Store.

One thing that I see that most homeboy rappers need to do is press up more Promotional Materials such as Posters (Do at least 1,000), Flyers and Stickers. Leave those P.O.P items in the stores for possible fans to pick up. You never know if someone is going to hang your poster on their bedroom wall and then company may see it and buy your cd, their cousin might see your poster and buy your cd, their little brother or sister might buy your cd. That builds long term fans.

And lastly you have to support the Local Mom & Pop Stores. You have to know where they are. You have to go in a buy something and not just look around. Rappers if a Mom & Pop store carries your cd on consignment, don't just thank them and just leave the store, go to the Local Rap Section and buy something. Just pick a cd and support it. If they support Local Music then you need to support them back.

good post. rasputins and streetlight are always getting my business

Feb 21, 2006
I think the industry is going to go the way of Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead. The basically released their albums for free online and asked for donation if they wanted to. They made a lot of money, and most of that money is theirs.
Doing this cuts out the record label. Record label keep about 60-80% profit per cd sold.
Bands typically make their money from touring. So with this new format, they can get their music out there to their fans for free and those peeps will then buy the cd if they really like it or at the very least buy tickets to see them at their shows when they tour.
In 10 years from now, their won't even be CD's anymore, everything will be electronic media.

Mr G

Drunk Pot-Head
Apr 4, 2007
Las Vegas
^ granted wether its bay area or tx or sum midwest/kc shit, i backtrack shit and buy albums from like 98 when most rap was the shit.......even fools that went way under the radar were droppin heat! from 1996 to 2002 i think rap was at its finest!! most folks feel me cuz thats when our generation lost that final touch we had with the demographic of the General audience.
on the other hand.....
i buy pretty much damn near every ENE cd that drops or hits HBR.Com and our sub genre is constantly hittin itz own highs AND lows......but lifes a gamble in general......

May 6, 2004
i noticed that about half the cd stores in the bay have shut down. like tower records and warehouse and sam goody.
all i see now is rasputins in the 408.
so if all these stores are shutting down. and everyone is downloading music instead of buying it....how the hell are homeboy rappers suposed to come up??
i always be wondering that shit since no one really buys music any more.
over here tower records shut down too....since sept 2006 i think..