CD requests

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
Wanted Lists..

I used to just pluck rares when I saw them at used cd shops..

If the quantity is large enough I'll just send my list to my local mom & pop stores so I don't have to do the legwork...

All I ask is that CD's wanted have to be at least 30+ in cash sale
value (meaning I'm not wasting my time spending 5-10 on a cd while some poor dude looks for my extensive list)

And alphabetical order would be nice..

Serious Inquiries only - I'm not going to pay cash for a cd which only one or 2 people want...

My honey hole has a lot of new underground Chicago stuff/BrewTown stuff... But a lot of OOP stuff, including tapes.

Chicago will generally be 20 each shipped unless I find a mega rare gem then thats Ebay stuff (like Fat 4 Life).

But like I said keep your shit alphabetically - its just easier for everyone.

If I find something I will bold it and we can work out a price afterwords.

I'm also open to trades as well if someone has something I want (no cds) music equipment...

Chicago/Milwaukee stuff will be the easiest but you never know what you can find.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
How the fuck you think all these "sellers" get all these non local rares?

You think they just walk into a cd shop an but a 50 pack of some rare shit and then ball them off?? hell no...

If you're lucky you need to contact the distributor and have a tax code and THEN see what they have in stock which most of the time has been sent to the big box stores - hell no 75% are bootlegged - they look real but they are fake, a little screen printing and some ring code manipulation and bingo... Create 500 of those cds and sit on them and you're golden selling them for 100 bucks a pop.

Do you think DVD's and counterfeit shoes or jackets are the only ones being counterfeited?

You want real shit - then get it from where it originates from the city it comes from..

Mixerr

Mixerr Reviews
Nov 17, 2012
Austin, Texas, US
www.facebook.com

You think they just walk into a cd shop an but a 50 pack of some rare shit and then ball them off?? hell no...

If you're lucky you need to contact the distributor and have a tax code and THEN see what they have in stock which most of the time has been sent to the big box stores - hell no 75% are bootlegged - they look real but they are fake, a little screen printing and some ring code manipulation and bingo... Create 500 of those cds and sit on them and you're golden selling them for 100 bucks a pop.

Do you think DVD's and counterfeit shoes or jackets are the only ones being counterfeited?

You want real shit - then get it from where it originates from the city it comes from..

Just curious. Let's say I bought the G-Slimm - Dueces & Trays on CD in Austin. Are you telling me my CD might be fake? Help me understand.

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
Just curious. Let's say I bought the G-Slimm - Dueces & Trays on CD in Austin. Are you telling me my CD might be fake? Help me understand.
Not necessarily - not if it is sealed and bought from a reputable cd store or from a used cd store.

Besides, another problem is that there as so many cds that have been released by so many different distributors that who really knows what the OG actually is?

Brotha Lynch's season of the siccness and a few other blackmarket cds are a fantastic example of that.

Personally I really don't care anymore considering most stuff is on youtube...

I don't collect cd's I just sell them, and the ones I do actually "keep" are the ones that cant be found online, ebay, amazon, youtube, sharing sites...

What you think is rare isn't rare at all... It may be limited but it is hardly rare.

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
Is there a lot of sugar in your "honey hole"?
That's not even my "hole" my real honey hole blew up, like an explosion - that place was packed with rares...

Play by play is ok, they got a lot of rare used cds and plenty of local artists from Chicago and Milwaukee..

I go from used cd store to used cd store and pluck rares... which I hate doing.

I'm not going to waste gas, drive around Chicago and spend hours buying 5 dollar cds that I can sell for 30 bucks... And I'm not going on a mission to find mega rares unless I have a list and a legit buyer...

I'm not going to rip myself off just to make a few stacks...

Besides, people start to ask questions when you enter your store with a fucking list in hand going though their shit, they usually kick your ass out unless you're a repeat customer.... but they're not fucking dumb - they damn well know you're looking for rares - some are just too fucking ignorant to the genre to know what you're looking for..

But I'm not going to waste my time and money buying cds that are worth 30-50 bucks.. And the odds of me finding random bay, Texas or KC shit in Illinois is slim to none..

I get the rarest of the rare of Chicago shit all day but for some reason collectors ask for some of the worst cds that come out of Chicago - the type of shit that is just given away and thrown in the garbage...

Mixerr

Mixerr Reviews
Nov 17, 2012
Austin, Texas, US
www.facebook.com
Not necessarily - not if it is sealed and bought from a reputable cd store or from a used cd store.

Besides, another problem is that there as so many cds that have been released by so many different distributors that who really knows what the OG actually is?

Brotha Lynch's season of the siccness and a few other blackmarket cds are a fantastic example of that.

I don't collect cd's I just sell them, and the ones I do actually "keep" are the ones that cant be found online, ebay, amazon, youtube, sharing sites...

What you think is rare isn't rare at all... It may be limited but it is hardly rare.
Now I understand. Thank you.

lifesourcerec

The 865 Archive
Oct 15, 2003
www.steelsolid.net

I did. I use to go to Cat's Music and a few mom n pop stores every Tuesday when new releases came out and spend about $60-$80 on cassettes and CDs. I guess I was an exception.

lifesourcerec

The 865 Archive
Oct 15, 2003
www.steelsolid.net

I got my og cassettes. I bought a lot of Black Market music back in 1995 when I use to be on the phone with Ced discussing a possible record deal. The CDs/ cassettes made their way to Memphis through Select-O-Hits. I sold a bunch of my collection I had sitting in the closet not getting any play. I think the only true rare stuff is stuff sold out the trunk without a distributor. I use to love going to mom n pop stores. Tons of Memphis underground tapes that sell for hundreds now.

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
I got my og cassettes. I bought a lot of Black Market music back in 1995 when I use to be on the phone with Ced discussing a possible record deal. The CDs/ cassettes made their way to Memphis through Select-O-Hits. I sold a bunch of my collection I had sitting in the closet not getting any play. I think the only true rare stuff is stuff sold out the trunk without a distributor. I use to love going to mom n pop stores. Tons of Memphis underground tapes that sell for hundreds now.
Me too I had a ton of black market tapes and a lot of select-o-hits tapes to boot... I love that stuff, its kinda nostalgic.

But I'm the same way - I buy local artists records out of their trunk or from the local mom and pop stores, those mom and pop stores have a lot of good shit and always have the newest local stuff (I'm from Chicago so I don't get too much Memphis underground stuff other than what is nationally released). I collected a bunch of OG Memphis stuff I bout off online tho. The only problem with that is that those "OG" Memphis tapes are easy to bootleg tho because they're generally really nothing more than tapes with white sticky labels. Of course some artists such as Al Kapone, Gangsta Pat, DJ Zirk and the Three-6 crowed all released real cds.. But even then their earlier stuff is nothing more than tapes with white labels like DJ Paul and Juicy J's earlier "mix tapes" and the numerous volumes they did, and even earlier stuff like Rivaside Clique or Manson Family is hard to find as OG.... That's why I stopped buying and selling that stuff, I couldn't guarantee it was OG - I loved the music and still listen to it just via MP3/Youtube tho.

I will say tho that a few years back some distributor remastered all that underground Memphis stuff and released it all on CD with full artwork and everything. They're obviously not the "OG's" because the tapes are the real "OG's" but I tried to buy as many of those cds as possible, I was prepared to drop 5 grand on a thousand of them - but they sold so fast I couldn't get the quantity I needed and wanted to make it worth my while. Besides I was going to sit on them for a few years and then start selling them when I could get 50 bucks a pop each but too bad that didn't work out.

But yeah, I didn't know much about Memphis music beyond Eightball & MJG and Three 6 Mafia until I found this website in the mid 90's that had all that underground Memphis rap on it - I mean this site had every album and I couldn't get enough of it even given the fact I only had a 56k modem and it took about a half hour to load a song lol.....

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
I did. I use to go to Cat's Music and a few mom n pop stores every Tuesday when new releases came out and spend about $60-$80 on cassettes and CDs. I guess I was an exception.
I used to order a lot of cds from music stores like sam goodie etc.... I would easily blow 100 bucks a week just on cds... I remember ordering Gangsta Pat, Ganksta Nip, Lil Pen etc.... The stores didn't carry them on the shelf but they had a book you could special order anything you wanted from.

But I stopped doing that when I started going to the mom & pop stores. They had such a great used collection and used cds were only like 5 bucks and I was finding all kinds of rares.... They also had a great cassette selection and they only wanted 2 bucks for new sealed cassettes and most of them were rare as hell..... I remember walking into this one joint play by play and just blowing like a grand....

But what I like to do (or used to do) is buy new and sealed CD lots off of ebay or just cd lots in general that have more "popular rap" you know - the type of stuff thats on the radio and then trade them for used underground cd's I want at the mom & pop stores - because that is the stuff they want - they want stuff people know about and that they hear on the radio and they could care less about gangsta pat or whomever. I save a ton of money doing that because I'm only paying 50 cents a cd in a cd lot and I can turn around and trade that 50 cent cd for a 5 or 10 dollar cds.

lifesourcerec

The 865 Archive
Oct 15, 2003
www.steelsolid.net
Me too I had a ton of black market tapes and a lot of select-o-hits tapes to boot... I love that stuff, its kinda nostalgic.

But I'm the same way - I buy local artists records out of their trunk or from the local mom and pop stores, those mom and pop stores have a lot of good shit and always have the newest local stuff (I'm from Chicago so I don't get too much Memphis underground stuff other than what is nationally released). I collected a bunch of OG Memphis stuff I bout off online tho. The only problem with that is that those "OG" Memphis tapes are easy to bootleg tho because they're generally really nothing more than tapes with white sticky labels. Of course some artists such as Al Kapone, Gangsta Pat, DJ Zirk and the Three-6 crowed all released real cds.. But even then their earlier stuff is nothing more than tapes with white labels like DJ Paul and Juicy J's earlier "mix tapes" and the numerous volumes they did, and even earlier stuff like Rivaside Clique or Manson Family is hard to find as OG.... That's why I stopped buying and selling that stuff, I couldn't guarantee it was OG - I loved the music and still listen to it just via MP3/Youtube tho.

I will say tho that a few years back some distributor remastered all that underground Memphis stuff and released it all on CD with full artwork and everything. They're obviously not the "OG's" because the tapes are the real "OG's" but I tried to buy as many of those cds as possible, I was prepared to drop 5 grand on a thousand of them - but they sold so fast I couldn't get the quantity I needed and wanted to make it worth my while. Besides I was going to sit on them for a few years and then start selling them when I could get 50 bucks a pop each but too bad that didn't work out.

But yeah, I didn't know much about Memphis music beyond Eightball & MJG and Three 6 Mafia until I found this website in the mid 90's that had all that underground Memphis rap on it - I mean this site had every album and I couldn't get enough of it even given the fact I only had a 56k modem and it took about a half hour to load a song lol.....
I think a lot of them were bootlegs. Majority of the Memphis underground cassettes I've seen back then had green stickers. Some red. The Pimps & Playas compilation I sold was given to me by a co-worker in Memphis. He was their manager at the time. They used the green stickers. back then, you could order the blank cassettes and stickers to put on cassettes from places like Disc Makers. We did it for some of our CDs we mailed to record labels. Ska face Al Kapone, Eightball & Organized Rhyme, etc had on print cassettes and not the stickers.

Another problem I have with these cassettes. Most original ones have "Booking" phone numbers on them. The ones I see on Ebay and people posting don't have them. They had their booking numbers because most didn't have managers and thats how they promoted themselves and got club gigs.

We still have a mom n pop type store locally.

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
I think a lot of them were bootlegs. Majority of the Memphis underground cassettes I've seen back then had green stickers. Some red. The Pimps & Playas compilation I sold was given to me by a co-worker in Memphis. He was their manager at the time. They used the green stickers. back then, you could order the blank cassettes and stickers to put on cassettes from places like Disc Makers. We did it for some of our CDs we mailed to record labels. Ska face Al Kapone, Eightball & Organized Rhyme, etc had on print cassettes and not the stickers.

Another problem I have with these cassettes. Most original ones have "Booking" phone numbers on them. The ones I see on Ebay and people posting don't have them. They had their booking numbers because most didn't have managers and thats how they promoted themselves and got club gigs.

We still have a mom n pop type store locally.
Those are the OG's tho - the tapes that have "for booking information call XXXXXX"...

Funny thing is I used to call the numbers to buy their cds/tapes in bulk....

I used to buy everything in bulk when I could...

It just so happens that the CD market really sucks right now, and the only people willing to pay good money for cd's are Europeans and a lot of the time they just rip you off not to mention shipping overseas costs a lot.

I'd love to get back into the business but it's just not lucrative enough for me or worth my time and effort to make a good living doing it.. Selling CD's is really a full time job between finding them, shipping, taking pictures answering questions and working out deals...

I used to just throw a bunch of shit on ebay and let it sell for what it sells for just as long as I made a profit - that shit was easy but you make more money on the siccness doing private deals and such..

Props: LOKO_G13