Cary Fukunaga Signs on to Adapt Stephen King’s It!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
When film festival darling director Cary Fukunaga veered from the grittiness of his 2009 breakout film “Sin Nombre” and immersed himself in the mist-laden romanticism of Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre in the 2011 adaptation of the classic, fans of the young director’s former film were surprised. The sharp turn paid off, though, and Fukunaga proved himself in possession of a range of talents as he handled Bronte with as much grace and poignancy as he did the inner goings-on of the U.S./Mexico border. Now, we’re learning that the reach of Fukunaga’s genre interests is extending even further, as news of his involvement in an upcoming two-part production of Stephen King‘s It makes headlines.

Fukunaga will be directing the film, which was first released as a television miniseries in 1990. The miniseries was well-received but the clown that haunted our nightmares years ago could apparently use a makeover. Fukunaga, on the other hand, seems to be remaking himself constantly, and if his past works are any indication, the forthcoming “It” adaptation will only prove his talents further. As for the esteemed Mr. King, this is only one of a multitude of in-the-works projects based on his writing: Rumors have been swirling around “The Dark Tower” for what feels like forever; “Carrie,” starring Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore, has moved into production; and Ben Affleck recently claimed a remake of “The Stand” as his next project. King, as always, is omnipresent.

Fukunaga will be co-screenwriting with Chase Palmer. This is no small undertaking, as the 1,000-plus-page novel will need two full movies to tell the story. Seth Grahame-Smith, whose “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter” will premiere this summer, is attached to produce.

Mar 18, 2003
I think it's unanimously agreed upon that the OG IT had a bad ending (emphasis: poorly executed, not written) but the other 99% of the movie was fucking epic IMO. I do not think it can be topped on a dramatic level. But i'm not the "oh noes theyre ruining the original..." type so I will definitely watch the remake. Because the writing is there.