CAN WE BRING THE WEST COAST BACK UP AGAIN??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2004
THIS IS A GENERAL QUESTION FOR ANYBODY FROM THE WEST COAST YOU EVER THINK WE'RE GONNA BRING THE WEST COAST BACK ON TOP LIKE ON THE DEATH ROW DAYZ ????I MEAN THE DIRTY SOUTH IS ON TOP NOW BUT THE EAST COAST HASNT LOST THEIR SPOT THEY STILL DROPPING SOME HOT SHIT , THANKS TO DRE, WELL IT SEEMS TO ME LIKE ITS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN ESPECIALLY WHEN THE EAST COAST GETS SO MUCH PLAY HERE BUT THE WEST COAST RAPPERS GET NO LOVE IN THE EAST COAST..OR IN THE SOUTH....WHAT Y'ALL THINK???

Jan 9, 2004
You can't count out the West, all it needs is one electrifying figure. Look at Kanye and what he doing for Chicago. Everyone on that brutha's nuts right now and who ever really expected Chitown to do anything big . . . not me.

Sep 16, 2003
What niggas on the west need to do is support each other. Back in the '90's niggas had alot of pride in Cali and niggas was reppin' it to the fullest. Now you have alot of people out here who jump on the east coast or down south band wagon. I've heard muthafucka's say that they only listen to east coast shit and know they were born and raised here. Our radio stations spin more east and south shit than Cali shit. The west coast does have a alot of some what underground niggas with heat like Ras Kass, Crooked I, Jayo Felony, Sly Boogy, SAS, Rascoe, Planet Asia, etc... We shouldn't focus on being the underdog, we just need to continue to make tight music and not sacrifice the integrity of our shit just to keep up with the east and south. Out turn will come around one day and leave again and come back. Shit moves in cycles. Peace.

Mar 9, 2004
TOKZTLI said:
You can't count out the West, all it needs is one electrifying figure. Look at Kanye and what he doing for Chicago. Everyone on that brutha's nuts right now and who ever really expected Chitown to do anything big . . . not me.
thats the difference though. kanye is helpin other cats from chi town like twista. not like punk ass dre.

Feb 14, 2004
as soon as the west dropps the gangsta shit and switches to party/club shit, and come up with some better shit that everyone will wanna bump after hearin in a club or what not. IMO :cool:

Jan 9, 2004
PAPAUPTON said:
thats the difference though. kanye is helpin other cats from chi town like twista. not like punk ass dre.
Yeah you right. Dre and the others dont help each other out. Even Cypress Hill who markets to latin listeners doesn't put on latin underground artists from the West. We can't look at who we considered to be on top anymore, we need to bring someone new into the game. Like COMPLEX said, shit moves in cycles. If quality music is put out by our side, then people won't have any choice but to listen to it.

Aug 15, 2002
the industry is way different than it used to be....radio is only owned by like 3 people...Mtv and BET are the same company...you cant really break local artists anymore and the music on the radio is being marketed more to females than males(why yall think every rap nigga on tv is a pretty boy lately)i dont think the west will ever be back...the best niggas can do is try to make as much local/regional money as they can(lil rob,brotha lynch,CS etc.)but i dont think its ever gonna be like it was of course i think hip hop is doomed in general

Apr 5, 2003
savage said:
as soon as the west dropps the gangsta shit and switches to party/club shit, and come up with some better shit that everyone will wanna bump after hearin in a club or what not. IMO :cool:
yeah I agree here. Rap these days is all about club hits.

Feb 19, 2003
Well, I don't think the West would necessarily have to drop the Gangsta shit ENTIRELY, but yeah, the way the business is now, they'd have to at least record more love songs and party-type shit for the radio then what they do now. But it may not even be that simple...

I mean, even when the West WAS on top sales-wise (early/mid-'90s), the East Coast media was reluctant to accept rappers outside the East even then. NWA, Cube, Ice-T, CMW, Hammer, Too Short, and others made enough progress between '86/'92 to make folks take notice, but NY still had a "get off our turf" attitude.

I think what happened, though, was that Death Row became SO huge that the NYC radio/video outlets almost HAD to play Dre, Snoop, Tupac, and other West rappers, but think about this: that doesn't mean that these same NYC media folks LIKED having to do so...A lot of the NYC media folks probably (and this is just MY guess) had the attitude of "well, this West Coast shit is what's selling NOW, so we'll play it now like the other states are doing, but that doesn't mean we have to LIKE it. And as soon as we see signs of slippage sales-wise from the West, it's back to playing all East Coast rap." And the West DID slip sales-wise around '97/'98. The NYC media probably feels the same about the South as well--if the Southern Rap scene ever slips just a little sales-wise, then that region can kiss its' NYC radio/video channel support goodbye as well, because that will be the excuse for NYC media folks to say, "well, the South's finished, we don't have to play THEIR shit anymore," just as they (MTV, BET, etc.) deemphasized the West around '97/'98 or so.

And now that the East is back on top (sales-wise), the media folks in NYC are probably not about to (as they see it) let anyone outside of NYC "take control" of them again, unless, again, the sales or airplay from a West rapper is SO huge that there's no choice. In the meantime, Wallnutz has the right idea: West Coast rappers need to just stay on the grind, and do what they CAN do for now, and maybe something better will come along...whatever the case, I'm a West coast rap fan for life!

PEACE!

May 1, 2003
sav-man said:
...whatever the case, I'm a West coast rap fan for life!

PEACE!
I agree!

IMO if you a west coast music fan....it's here for you. There's alot of good shit to choose from
now. It's called the underground....fuck the mainstream. I do think west will rise again. I don't think It will be result of one record label either. It's going to be a lot of small labels hittin at the same time. It's almost to that point now. You can hear it.

Apr 26, 2004
MANNN I REMEMBER BACK THEN WHEN THE WEST COAST WAS THE SHIT, ONE OF MY HOMIES HAD PUT A BIG AZZ STICKER IN FRONT OF HIS CD PLAYER IN HIS CAR THAT SAID "WEST COAST SHIT ONLY"
ANYTHING THAT WASN'T WEST COAST HE'LL THROW IT OUT THE WINDOW LOL

Apr 25, 2002
AS FAR AS BEING ON TOP COMMERCIALLY, ITS ALL ABOUT EXPOSURE... I THINK IF SOME OF THESE UNDERGROUND ACTS GET OUT THERE AND NOTICED THEY ARE BOUND TO BLOW CUZ ITS TOO MUCH TALENT TO OVERLOOK... SOMETIMES ILL BE LISTENING TO UNDERGROUND SHIT AND ILL THINK DAMN THIS SONG WOULD HAVE PPL GOIN NUTS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY

May 6, 2004
paystyle.net
yeah that's where I come in. With the new diiferent shit. I was talkin' to my nigga AC the other day and we were discussing the Westcaost music. My replie was that we need the right people settin' up a real company. A nd when I say real, I don't mean street, gangsta, or hard. I'm talkin' bout a staff in place. You need a publicist, manager, promoterssss, a secratary, telemarketing reps, graphic designers, and all kinds of shit. Doin' this will rise the stock of the west coast industry. Instead, everybodies tring to be the next Deathrow or Pac & Shug. So the big companies won't give us a chance because niggaz keep it 2 gangsta. That's just part of the prob. We also talked about everyone sounding the same, and I said that wasn't the prob. because look at ths South & the East, they all sound alike. We just have to start networkin' more and stop robbin' niggaz when the get somethin'.

Mar 9, 2004
emoe3000 said:
yeah that's where I come in. With the new diiferent shit. I was talkin' to my nigga AC the other day and we were discussing the Westcaost music. My replie was that we need the right people settin' up a real company. A nd when I say real, I don't mean street, gangsta, or hard. I'm talkin' bout a staff in place. You need a publicist, manager, promoterssss, a secratary, telemarketing reps, graphic designers, and all kinds of shit. Doin' this will rise the stock of the west coast industry. Instead, everybodies tring to be the next Deathrow or Pac & Shug. So the big companies won't give us a chance because niggaz keep it 2 gangsta. That's just part of the prob. We also talked about everyone sounding the same, and I said that wasn't the prob. because look at ths South & the East, they all sound alike. We just have to start networkin' more and stop robbin' niggaz when the get somethin'.
NICELY SAID. THE BIZNESS PART OF IT IS WHATS LACKIN. RADIO IS SHOT. WE GETS NO LOVE IN ANY REGION, NOT EVEN OUR OWN. ITS GONNA TAKE A CATCHY HOOKS AND CLUB FRIENDLY BEATS TO PUSH US UP AGAIN. BUT WE GOT TOO MUCH DAMN HISTORY AND PRIDE DOIN WHAT WE DO SO NOBODY WANTS TO FOLLOW THE TREND.