can someone explain to me why you should only have 11 tracks?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 18, 2003
Quality > Quantity. Of course, more quality is a good thing but often times albums with more tracks tend to have more lackluster music. I would be happy to have an album with 7-10 songs if they are all (or even mostly all) quality.

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
oh, i was thinking of more of a technically reasoning toward it. like up to 11 tracks you get paid a certain way. i just remember jayz talking bout jeezy came with him with like a 17 tracks album and said that wasn't right. kind of hoping some industry heads will say what's up with this.
Well the reason Jay said it was wrong is because most artist only receive mechanical royalties for 12 or so tracks...So when you create a 15-17 you are not getting mechanical royalties on like 4-5 songs...which means less money for the artist...and if you are a gold or platinum artist, that's like a couple fly rides worth of cash down the drain.

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
so why do keep on churning out long-ass albums??
that be a question to ask the individual artist/dj/executive producer.

why and 4 or 5 fillers? when u could have 10 or 11 tracks of cohesive music?

I think they wanna use the actual track count as a sales tactic. because they believe the projected thinking of the common rap fan will be like:
"I can get rapper A cd for 14 bux but it has 12 tracks
or rapper B cd for 12.99 but it has 20 songs!"
"imma buy rapper B"

this is just my assumption of why they do it.

id rather go for quality over quanity unfortunatley not a lot of rappers are giving us that anymore

Mar 12, 2006
some artists like to appeal a little bit to everybody....

so they put out a shit load of tracks, and SOMEBODY likes a couple of them.

you may love tracks 1-4

somebody may love 9-12

somebody else 14-17.........

....gotta have variety.

but keep it quality.

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
Another reason why an artist might put out filler songs is to keep or create a relationship with an artist or producer. Or the artist may have his own company and have his artists or producer on the record just to generate money for his own business endeavors.