building a speaker boxx

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
i work at a lumber yard and i've helped two of my homies build boxes and we used regular CDX plywood.... you can buy that shit in 4 x 8 sheets...

i dont know if MDF if the best way to go man, that shit is pretty flimsy and easy to break... its made out of basically compressed sawdust.... i wouldnt build a box out of it

May 2, 2002
fiberglass is easy once you know how to do it. the hardest part is fabricating the frame and making sure the cubic inches meets with the speakers' specs. basically, you make the frame out of whatever you want. or if you already got a structure premade for it (ie a the spare tire well), all you gotta do is cut out a ring for the speaker to mount on, and start laying down your fiberglass. but after you got your frame made, you wrap it. cloth is good. you can go to a car audio store and they got material for you to wrap it in. after you wrap it, you lay down the fiberglass then put on a coat of resin.. do that a few times depending how thick you want it. let it dry. bondo it or whatever the fuck you gotta do to make it look pretty. the paint it.

heres a decent tutorial with pics on fiberglassing enclosures. I went to school for this shit so it's pretty easy for me but I can see how it could get trick. theres a lot of pics on this site which I think helps newbies out a lot. good luck. http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/Glassing1/

Red Ryda 916

Lakota Sioux
Jun 12, 2004
South Sac/Wounded Knee
$18 for a 4x8, 3/4 on an inch sheet of MDF at Home Depot, you can also have them cut it for U, but I wouldn't recommend that. The
measurements that I gave them were specifically for my trunk, and after
they were done with it, I had to throw it away. Thay also sell the carpeting,
spray adhesive (Only use 3M), screws, and just about anything else you
need to build a box, except for woofer screws, but if your speakers are new, they should already have a set included with them. It only cost me a little over $40 to build my box, but at a an audio shop, I would've been charged anywhere from $150 to $400 just for a regular rectangular box.

Mark-up prices ara BITCH!!!

May 2, 2002
-TiM C- said:
i work at a lumber yard and i've helped two of my homies build boxes and we used regular CDX plywood.... you can buy that shit in 4 x 8 sheets...

i dont know if MDF if the best way to go man, that shit is pretty flimsy and easy to break... its made out of basically compressed sawdust.... i wouldnt build a box out of it
You have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talkin' about.

If you don't know...don't give out advice.

May 6, 2002
MDF, and since you most likely bump rap...make it ported.
But you have to make it ported down to the specs of your speaker and the OHM's u are setting it as. You should just get a custom box made, unels u really know what your doing. Anyone can make a sealed box, but u should port it.

May 17, 2002
im gonna have 4 sound stream 10's pushed by about 1000 watts maybe 1200

someone told me to make a all plexiglass box enclose them in there and port it...... i have never seen a all plexiglass boxx would it work??

Apr 25, 2002
i made my box for a little over 20 bucks.but i made a baffle board for my cuttlass and a baffle only requires less than half of a standard box.i used MDF for 2 Lanzar 12"s and the shit slumped with no flaws.different speakers are better with different boxes,just remember that....

May 2, 2002
714KaliHydro said:
MDF, and since you most likely bump rap...make it ported.
But you have to make it ported down to the specs of your speaker and the OHM's u are setting it as. You should just get a custom box made, unels u really know what your doing. Anyone can make a sealed box, but u should port it.
Ported or Sealed...it's all a matter of opinion.

Mine is sealed...never really liked the ported too much.

May 6, 2002
Thats true.
I just rather have it go BOOOOOOOM, than BOOM!
Its the persons preference though..like u said.

Sealed boxes give more distortion, and tend to muffle over vocals...just my opinion.

May 2, 2002
If everything is set up right...there should be no problems.

I've lined up against many people with ported boxes...and it was no competition. I blew 'em away in both SPL and SQ.

If you have decent speakers...there should be no muffling difficulties.