building a production studio...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 8, 2002
I only have a Triton Le so far, but Im tryin to decide on where to go next...I'm thinking I need a heart to my setup so what'yall think of a G4 with protools/digi001, then after I get that, build off of there with an MPC, sound modules and all that....what yall think? I shouldnt get an mpc and a triton without a solid center huh? is a mac with digi001 a good choice to reocrd onto and make my beats sound better than just raw off the triton? I do not need to record vocals so I do not need anything in that field.....holla with opinions, preciate it...1

also If anyone has any good links to websites about this kinda stuff post them up, I always come across stuff that focuses on vocals and mics and shit...I want just pure production setup pictures/guides and stuff...one love

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
if youre looking for something to be the heart of your studio the protools setup you mention is decent for that.....

but if you are looking for something hardware based you should try mabey a harddisk recorder or some kind of multitrack workstation.

like a korg d12 (multitrack) about $1500 or less
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jan03/articles/korgd1200.asp

i recomend getting a multitrack of some kind then building around it.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I'm thinking I need a heart to my setup so what'yall think of a G4 with protools/digi001
Look into mac and pc based systems. look into other software like cubase sx,logic and sonar. check out the MOTU interfaces and digital performer 3.
then after I get that, build off of there with an MPC, sound modules and all that....what yall think?
i think the mpc will be a WASTE of your cash unless you use it as the brain of your setup. why do you want an mpc? for sound or midi purposes?
is a mac with digi001 a good choice to reocrd onto and make my beats sound better than just raw off the triton?
yes. since you DONT want to record vocals this MIGHT be OVERKILL.

if you go hardware based and your unit doesnt export to wav or aif what are you going to do when it needs to be dumped at another studio?

:H:

Aug 8, 2002
good opinion, thanks playa^, i am just getting different ideas on how i want this to all go down...im trying to find the best quality way to get my beaTS off the triton and onto something where i can have each track split up for when it gets brought to a studio....something to sequence well....all i use now is soundforge to record right off the triton and the Waves plugins to work with the sound a little....I dont trust the radio shack wires coming from the triton to the PC, and i know there is a sound quality issue especially when it comes to reverb...I dont know what to get next....I am guessing something to record to such as an ADAT or one of those mixdown studios, I would get the MPC for the drums and probly have it takeover as the main sequencer since it has 64 tracks.....holla with any info, preciate it

Jun 25, 2002
geocities.com
sounds like he jus want a setup for general preproduction

i don't see nothing wrong with an adat and an analog mixer

we are talking about getting his shit down so that he can work with it later

all this protools shit ain't necessary, i know that protools is an industry standard but there are other options. the protools software is shitty imo i would rather use something like sonar or cubase

dude can buy a hd24 for $1700 or so (that's 24 tracks of audio, and you got ftp capability built in and a firewire option just came out)...you can dump your shit to computer if you need to or take the files to a real studio for mixing if necessary just like protools

BIG J

Sicc OG
Apr 26, 2002
H Town Dolemite said:
all this protools shit ain't necessary, i know that protools is an industry standard but there are other options. the protools software is shitty imo i would rather use something like sonar or cubase

Apr 25, 2002
NoDollazNoSense said:
I am guessing something to record to such as an ADAT or one of those mixdown studios, I would get the MPC for the drums and probly have it takeover as the main sequencer since it has 64 tracks.....
ADAT's are a thing of the past, don't waste your money.

The MPC is a midi sequencer/sampling drum machine. Your computer can do twice as many tracks and act as a sampler, drum machine, multi-tracker and so on. Not to mention with the computer you have plug-in options, VSTI's, etc. Like Heresy said, an MPC would be a waste of money for you.

Apr 25, 2002
H Town Dolemite said:
i don't see nothing wrong with an adat and an analog mixer

we are talking about getting his shit down so that he can work with it later
ADAT's are history. They've been discontinued. Where are you going to take it if it breaks down? How much are the parts going to cost? I'll just go ahead and say it.....fuck ADAT!

So far all he has is a Triton LE. Until he gets more gear, he won't need a mixer.

Aug 8, 2002
i would buy the mpc for the drums, but i could use the sampling add on on the triton to connect a hard drive loaded with akai samples right?

plus i wanna be able to preserve my shit, make it easy to bring to the studio, or send it to someone so they can....

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
^^^ NO ONE CARES. WHY DONT *YOU* DO *US* ALL A FAVOR AND SPILL THAT CHEAP BOTTLE OF 151 ALL OVER YOUR SILLY TRITON. THAT WAY WE HAVE ONE LESS "PRODUCER" TO WORRY ABOUT........................

JUST PLAYIN MAN.:classic: MANY COMPUTER PROGRAMS READ AKAI FORMAT SO YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK INTO A COMPUTER BASED SET UP AND BYPASS THE MPC. IF YOU WANT A STAND ALONE SAMPLER I WOULD GO WITH AN EMU MODEL BEFORE THE MPC. IF YOUR HELL BENT ON BUYING AN MPC GO AHEAD. ITS YOUR FETTI DOWN THE TOILET BECAUSE YOU *DONT* NEED IT. FOR THAT $1200 YOU CAN BUILD A PC (A TIGHT ONE) AND HAVE 300-500 TO SPEND ON A SOUND MODULE OR SAMPLE CD'S.

98.6% (THESE ARE MY MADE UP NUMBERS) OF STUDIOS WILL HAVE A COMPUTER THAT IS CAPABLE OF WAV AND AIFF IMPORTING AND EXPORTING. YOU WANT SOMETHING THAT CAN DO THAT:

DIGITAL PERFORMER (THIRD CHOICE)
CUBASE SX (MY FIRST CHOICE)
PRO TOOLS LE (SECOND CHOICE)
LOGIC 4 OR 5 (NEVER)
ACID (COOL APP THATS SLEPT)

THESE ARE BASICALLY YOUR MULTI TRACKERS/SEQUENCERS. TO ACCOMPLISH WHAT YOU WANNA DO YOU ARE GOING TO NEED ONE OF THE ABOVE OR SOMETHING SIMILAR. IF YOU WANNA RECORD ON ADATS GOOD LUCK. YOU CAN FIND A BETTER SOUND (MY OPINION) AND DEAL (FACT WHEN YOU COMPARE PRICES) IF YOU LOOK INTO OTHER PACKAGES/OPTIONS.

MOST STUDIOS WILL HAVE COMPUTERS...HOW MANY OF THEM WILL HAVE ADATS?

SEQUENCE/ARRANGE THE MIDI
MULTITRACK THE FILES AT 24 BIT (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT SYNCED VIA MIDI)
DUMP THE AUDIO FOLDER TO A BLANK CD (SAVE AS ***DATA***)

SEND IT TO 123,987,576 STUDIOS ACROSS AMERICA AND THEY WILL BE ABLE TO LOAD IT UP.

MAKE SURE ALL TRACKS START AT THE SAME TIME.

THIS IS ONE EXAMPLE OF DOING WHAT YOU WANNA DO. ITS MANY WAYS YOU CAN DO IT.

:h:

Aug 8, 2002
HERESY said:
^^^ NO ONE CARES. WHY DONT *YOU* DO *US* ALL A FAVOR AND SPILL THAT CHEAP BOTTLE OF 151 ALL OVER YOUR SILLY TRITON. THAT WAY WE HAVE ONE LESS "PRODUCER" TO WORRY ABOUT........................

wow, i think this topic is good for a lot of people since this is the studio forum sir....

JUST PLAYIN MAN.:classic: MANY COMPUTER PROGRAMS READ AKAI FORMAT SO YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK INTO A COMPUTER BASED SET UP AND BYPASS THE MPC. IF YOU WANT A STAND ALONE SAMPLER I WOULD GO WITH AN EMU MODEL BEFORE THE MPC. IF YOUR HELL BENT ON BUYING AN MPC GO AHEAD. ITS YOUR FETTI DOWN THE TOILET BECAUSE YOU *DONT* NEED IT. FOR THAT $1200 YOU CAN BUILD A PC (A TIGHT ONE) AND HAVE 300-500 TO SPEND ON A SOUND MODULE OR SAMPLE CD'S.

98.6% (THESE ARE MY MADE UP NUMBERS) OF STUDIOS WILL HAVE A COMPUTER THAT IS CAPABLE OF WAV AND AIFF IMPORTING AND EXPORTING. YOU WANT SOMETHING THAT CAN DO THAT:

DIGITAL PERFORMER (THIRD CHOICE)
CUBASE SX (MY FIRST CHOICE)
PRO TOOLS LE (SECOND CHOICE)
LOGIC 4 OR 5 (NEVER)
ACID (COOL APP THATS SLEPT)

THESE ARE BASICALLY YOUR MULTI TRACKERS/SEQUENCERS. TO ACCOMPLISH WHAT YOU WANNA DO YOU ARE GOING TO NEED ONE OF THE ABOVE OR SOMETHING SIMILAR. IF YOU WANNA RECORD ON ADATS GOOD LUCK. YOU CAN FIND A BETTER SOUND (MY OPINION) AND DEAL (FACT WHEN YOU COMPARE PRICES) IF YOU LOOK INTO OTHER PACKAGES/OPTIONS.

MOST STUDIOS WILL HAVE COMPUTERS...HOW MANY OF THEM WILL HAVE ADATS?

SEQUENCE/ARRANGE THE MIDI
MULTITRACK THE FILES AT 24 BIT (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT SYNCED VIA MIDI)
DUMP THE AUDIO FOLDER TO A BLANK CD (SAVE AS ***DATA***)

SEND IT TO 123,987,576 STUDIOS ACROSS AMERICA AND THEY WILL BE ABLE TO LOAD IT UP.

MAKE SURE ALL TRACKS START AT THE SAME TIME.

THIS IS ONE EXAMPLE OF DOING WHAT YOU WANNA DO. ITS MANY WAYS YOU CAN DO IT.

:h:

Aug 12, 2002
An AMD based PC system will give you the most bang for your buck. You'll want a good quality soundcard, such as delta1010 or staudio c-port 2000. I'd recommend a VST capable sequencer such as Cubase, Logic, or Sonar.

Basically, an MPC functions as a sequencer, a shoddy drum sampler, and a midi controller. The afore mentioned sequencers are far more powerful, and a VSTi drum sampler such as Battery, RM IV, or Dr-008 perform much better. And if you really think you need the drum pads of the mpc, get the akai mpd-16 drum pad controller for $200.

Besides preamps and mics, you won't need more for your project studio.

-=bumpus=-

May 13, 2002
i use the mpc and protools, both work fine, you should go the your local music store and plat around with some of the programs
cubase,sonic protools etc see what works best for you they all think differently so you should find out which one works best for your needs